Engineers Thermal Vent

Any experiences with this mod guys? Is it worth to put on medium weapons? I am actually thinking of putting two effective medium beams with this mod on my Fer-de-Lance. With final build of one huge overcharged corrosive multi-cannon, two medium efficient thermal vent beams and two medium overcharged pulse lasers with emissive one and scramble second. I was thinking if it is even worth puting beams here, because i think overcharged pulse/bursts deals more dmg than efficient beam. So guys, any thoughts? :)

You will never be able to overheat your FdL with that kind of setup. You can use more useful things than Thermal vent. :D
Like thermal shock on beams, or pulses with phasing sequence.

You will never be able to overheat your FdL with that kind of setup. You can use more useful things than Thermal vent. :D
Like thermal shock on beams, or pulses with phasing sequence.

Well Emissive increases heat, dirty drives increases heat, overcharged PP increases heat..i would not be so sure :D phasing sequence is garbage, tried that some time ago. Thermal shock reduce DPS by 20%, not worth for me. Im flying without any mods on my beams right now and it overheats pretty quicky and i am not sure, if those efficient upgrades can save the day by themselves only.

Well Emissive increases heat, dirty drives increases heat, overcharged PP increases heat..i would not be so sure :D phasing sequence is garbage, tried that some time ago. Thermal shock reduce DPS by 20%, not worth for me. Im flying without any mods on my beams right now and it overheats pretty quicky and i am not sure, if those efficient upgrades can save the day by themselves only.

I'm running a dirty drive G5 FDL... overcharged PP G1... lots of boosters... with 3 efficient beams, 1 emissive efficient pulse, and a huge corrosive MC .... in combat it has 37% heat firing all weapons as long as i don't drain the capacitator (which never happens with 4 pips to wep....). I'm positive i could run 4 efficient beams .... but i like 1 emissive.

I'm running a dirty drive G5 FDL... overcharged PP G1... lots of boosters... with 3 efficient beams, 1 emissive efficient pulse, and a huge corrosive MC .... in combat it has 37% heat firing all weapons as long as i don't drain the capacitator (which never happens with 4 pips to wep....). I'm positive i could run 4 efficient beams .... but i like 1 emissive.

What special mods on beams? None? or Thermal shock?

Very contradictory experiences, here.
It probably depends highly on your powerplant, I can confirm goemon's words - I am unable to get my FdL over 50% heat.

And to have weapons that are effective only on the off-chance of someone using heat weapons against you is a waste of DPS, imho.

Last edited:
I wonder, if its even worth using effective beam lasers, since overcharged pulses/bursts have better overal dps and drain less from distributor.

What special mods on beams? None? or Thermal shock?

no mods on the beams. i considered 1 thermal shock to reduce scb spam from npc, but the dps loss wasn't worth it to me.

I wonder, if its even worth using effective beam lasers, since overcharged pulses/bursts have better overal dps and drain less from distributor.

i mainly equip beams again because i really love the visuals, and it reduces noise .... combat with peng-peng-pulses tends to get on my nerves fast, bursts triple that effect even in the luxury sound design of a FDL.

I'm positive that overcharged bursts are the better DPE option.

the only two things which speaks for beams on a many-hardpoints-ship like the FDL is that they deal their damage constantly ... and i tend to strip shields of smaller ships faster than the ROF of bursts would allow me ... and powerplants pop faster under a beam than a pulse/burst, and you can save MC ammo.

i'm wondering whether i could run 3 longrange beams on my fdl ...

As a PvPer I can tell that these things are not really worth it. However, it might be useful in PvE but then I would use 4 pulse lasers with 1 emissive and 3 spectrum. All efficient.

I fitted 4 x gimballed G5 efficient beams with thermal vent and a huge gimballed G5 multicannon with corrosive rounds on my FDL. Zero overheating and all enemy ships are gone in seconds.

Last edited:
I fitted 4 x gimballed G5 efficient beams with thermal vent and a huge gimballed G5 multicannon with corrosive rounds on my FDL. Zero overheating and all enemy ships are gone in seconds.

Have the same on mine, except the beams are fixed, very effective indeed for PvE.

Last edited:
You use Heat Vent to offset the heat generated from your other weapons.

Heat will go up if your capacitors drain (from firing weapons, boosting etc).

If things are optimal, you can get temps down to freezing. You can also try using it to dump the heat from SCB.

Very contradictory experiences, here.
It probably depends highly on your powerplant, I can confirm goemon's words - I am unable to get my FdL over 50% heat.

And to have weapons that are effective only on the off-chance of someone using heat weapons against you is a waste of DPS, imho.

Vent has no damage penalty at all. You might as well put it on as it's a 'free' bonus in effect.

Thermal vent is very usefull in case when you do not want to use efficient. There are other usefull upgrades for beams too.
Was using 3 fixed thermal vent beams on FAS for a long time and instead of overheating to like ~150% it stayed below ~70% all the time. Of course now it is also achievable with efficient, but what if i want long range instead?
And it has no damage penalty. The only penalty is +25% heat when missing.

Last edited:
Using rapid and phasing sequence pulse I regularly have hull down to 75 as the shields go down then just shreds with corossive MC. Elite pythons toast in under a minute. Obviously PvE is different so this won't work against real people.

I just built a Cutter with some very hot Imperial Hammers, Incendiary Multi's, G4 OC Power Plant and G5 Dirties. With Efficient Beams and Thermal Vent, she doesn't overheat ever. Before the beams she would absolutely cook herself.

Old thread ha, but I've been experimenting with 2 LR medium beams with thermal vent and then 3 PAs all efficient. Still packing one heat sink but I think I might be able to drop it. Using beams only the ship will freeze up and run cold which I like, can spam SCB if needed. Thoughts? Changes you might make? Mainly playing PVE but trying to use more challenging weapons that will work better in PVP if I come across anybody (hardly ever on Xbone). Also rigging up some LR rails for a pure PVP build.

Top Bottom