This game is pretty stale...

Like OP says, it really is just like ground hog day, the same thing and nothing different in any way.
I tend to agree with most of your points. Personally, I would like to see the economy in Elite be more realistic. For example, the mission boards spew out 'kill 96 ships', but destroying 96 ships should have a material effect on the local areas economy (i.e. demand for whatever materials are required to replace those lost ships make prices go up etc.). I realise what a mammoth undertaking creating such an economy would be, but at least the missions on offer would affect economies in a more 'realistic' way. Just food for thought, and I'm sure there are many reasons why it's not possible.

I think if a game that was basically Elite and all its technological processes, (such as system scanning etc), merged with the atmospheric, taxidermy, environmental content we see in No man's Sky, then that's pretty much the game of the century.

I am interested in Elite primarily because of the 80's nostalgia, realised in modern form, but also the technical elements to piloting a space ship; Fuel scooping, station-hopping, the technical way you have to dock onto a pad, (no- I don't have stabilizers on any of my ships), Checking off all the Biological and Geological things. There are many scientific and technical features that I find very attractive and interesting, if only something actually came out of performing those initial actions; mostly it's related to collecting materials for the great grind. Yeah- I'm kind of getting fed up of that now. So some content is getting out of reach and out of interest - the excitement is fading and actual desire to see the fruits of many years of grinding is starting to get annoying. Something to be aware of.

I have actually gotten bored out of my brain with the missions. Like OP says, it really is just like ground hog day, the same thing and nothing different in any way. Even the places you go are identical, exactly the same designs and exactly the same copy/paste technology. I do, however, find mining in planetary rings one of my favourite activities. Mainly because of the satisfaction of blowing up an asteroid following a risky, tricky process of planting explosives and detonating them.

The whole process of playing ship yoyo-jousting with an adversary just makes my eyes water. It gets old FAST. Maybe I need to try to get fighters to work properly.

There really needs to be some variety. I haven't got a clue who's a pirate and who's a bounty hunter, only for the little decal on side of station or ship or, suit. Buildings, outfits, ships, are IDENTICAL.. EVERYWHERE. That leads me on to the ARX store, which is pretty much devoid of actual variety, if not for the colours of the copy/pasted items. Same items, just given a different name and colour. That's not really acceptable. Which is why I've not spent a penny in years, because it's not worth it, and what there is should already be a feature of the game, like it is in other games.

Expecting me to come up with my own game story line and quests seems to be the new attitude of game publishers. I can go play in a sand pit if I want to do that. I'm looking for something out of this world, not some identical, wooden blocks to play with, then being told to make my own game out of it.

Horizons introduced airless, barren moons we could land on - Okay, but if that's all it's going to be then that wasn't worth it.
Odyssey - well, I don't think there's any point commenting on it, right now, because it doesn't even work. There are game breaking bugs all over it that renders it unplayable at the moment. I'm sure devs are aware, looking at the issue tracker, so I'd rather they took their time addressing it, and not feel pressured to rush it all out - which I get the feeling they have felt looking at the extent, depth and overall quality of the update content over the years.

It's not a lack of things in the game, I think my issue I have is the lack of depth applied to the content.
I think that is clear that you did not find anything what may offer you longtime interests in this game. It's imo ok, Elite games never were saying to player what they should do and they had repetitive patterns which differed in "details". Some people simply have no fun with these things, or want something different which is not in the game. In ED are tons of processes hidden behind the scenes and they are called The background simulation (mostly called as the BGS). This is something what can change look on this game fundamentally for a player, because this is a moment where, previously insignificant, details will start to be important and players can change, to a certain degree, how this game locally works ... I'm giving it here just as exemple of longtime interests which this game offers.

Last edited:
Not as many as for developing a boring game.
Statement like this makes no sense because measurement of entertainment is based just on personal opinions and tastes of every player. For some may the same game offer tons of fun for a long time, for some decent amount of fun for limited time and for some it is boring like a hell right on start. Some may repeatebly return because for example likes flight mechanics and simply enjo flying of ship itself, some because found a group of people with similar interests and like playing together (various goals), ... and somone will try, then will leave and never will look back.

Last edited:
Not as many as for developing a boring game.
Fdev gave us an infinite universe to explore, more than any of us could do in a lifetime, there's mining/trading/combat/Powerplay/BGS not to mention the CGs which you can chose to take part in.
There's a massive amount of lore with many folks 'searching for stuff', player made goals and adventures, to be fair there is more here than any other game ive ever played (and im old).
If its boring its either not the game for you or you lack the imagination to immerse yourself in this environment (no disrespect intended).
Personally i dont think i will ever achieve my Elite bucket list but i will have fun trying.

O7

Meh, same can be said for pretty much any open-ended game. I get bored doing one thing there's a whole slew of other activities to do to keep things interesting. But I'm easy to amuse. I've spent countless hours doing absolutely nothing but flying around and enjoying the sights in ED and NMS with absolutely nothing accomplished in that time.

The game inspires many very similar wall of text complaints about the redundancy and emptiness of the gameplay experience.

You get what you give I guess.

Meh, same can be said for pretty much any open-ended game. I get bored doing one thing there's a whole slew of other activities to do to keep things interesting. But I'm easy to amuse. I've spent countless hours doing absolutely nothing but flying around and enjoying the sights in ED and NMS with absolutely nothing accomplished in that time.
Indeed, this is pretty much the order of the day. For me, I'm constantly noticing where it desperately needs improvement, the Arx store is one such area, I find. They could make varieties of weapon meshes, rather than splitting up all the colours of the rainbow and putting individual price tags on them. That is so unimaginative, but hey ho.

I strongly agree. I understand the necessity of the store and completely support it, but they gotta give us more than just odd color schemes and junk flare for our ships that makes it look like post-apocalyptic raiders live on top of it. I'm even all for a subscription based service that gives us perks like a certain amount of Arx per month among other things. Nothing pay-to-win, of course. I'm just all for anything to help keep this game going and give this game the attention it deserves. For us as fans.

I tend to agree with most of your points. Personally, I would like to see the economy in Elite be more realistic. For example, the mission boards spew out 'kill 96 ships', but destroying 96 ships should have a material effect on the local areas economy (i.e. demand for whatever materials are required to replace those lost ships make prices go up etc.). I realise what a mammoth undertaking creating such an economy would be, but at least the missions on offer would affect economies in a more 'realistic' way. Just food for thought, and I'm sure there are many reasons why it's not possible.

I think you vastly overstimate the effect the loss of 96 ships would have on a system with dozens of stations and several billion population, in fact the actions of players have a massively magnified effect on the game considering the size of the inhabited galaxy and the number of players. Granted in a system with one station and a few thousand population yes it would have an effect, but creating a realistic economy would actually relegate the majority of player activity to a level infinitesimally small in the grand scheme of the galaxy.

Be that as it may, it doesn't address the OP's concern that it has become stale for him, and the problem here is a personal one, not a game one, it has become stale for him doesn't mean it has become stale for everyone. Also not that just because it hasn't become stale for, say, myself, doesn't mean I don't want to see extra content in the game and am opposed to change, these things are not the same.

Games get stale for people, the answer is not to demand the game change to your personal desires, it isn't going to do that, and suggesting players who find the game getting stale for them take a break for a while and maybe play another game and see how they feel after a few months also isn't a negative pov or attack on the player, sometimes you do indeed need to move on.

personally I think if you haven't bounced along a low g moon like neil Armstrong(getting the bounce timing right and the following is the essential requirement btw) with walking on the moon by the Police playing in the background then stepped on an eruption and used control burst to descend and a medikit at point of impact you have not explored this game fully just in my opinion that is;) ideally a triple timed and executed bounce before the geezer full height achived and survival upon return gets the full 10 card

Last edited:
Top Bottom