General / Off-Topic This is pretty awesome - Attempt at highest skydive

From the BBC:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8475288.stm
The Austrian extreme sportsman Felix Baumgartner says his next goal is to try to break the long-standing record for the highest ever parachute jump.

It is 50 years since the American Joe Kittinger made history by leaping from a balloon at 102,800ft (31km).

Many have sought to repeat the feat down the decades but all have failed.

Baumgartner, who is famous for stunts such as jumping off the Petronas Towers, aims to skydive from a balloon sent to at least 120,000 ft (37km).

I'll be watching this one closely and waiting for the footage - it should be pretty amazing. The BBC will be making a 90min doco on it as well.

I loved the video of Joe Kittinger doing his jump, especially when he was saying he didn't know if he was falling or suspended in space (scary thought!)

Do you know when he's going to be making a jump?

He's actually getting support from Kittinger which I think is extremely cool.

Though I bet he secretly wishes no one to beat it :) Not sure how old Kittinger is now, but it'd be interesting if he were to do it also!

You'd think it'd be a lot easier to do 50 years on... hell, I'm surprised this isn't a commercial attraction yet! I'd pay to do it providing the suits / balloons were good.

Just how cool despite his age, is Joe Kittinger? Defiantly has the right stuff! They don't make em like that anymore, what a character! :cool: And good luck to Felix Baumgartner too!

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
Didn't notice this before...

It would be a fantastic thing to do. can you imagine the view from up there?

Last edited:
Top Bottom