Discussion Thread prefixes for this forum

Brett C

Frontier
Hi all,

Recently, i spent a fair amount of time making the Ships of Elite forum nice and pretty with the prefix coloring and so forth.

So, for the active people to this particular forum section (Player Tools & API Development), I've a question!

What prefixes would you like to have in this forum section? Hit me with a list of items via a reply to this thread.

Please keep prefix ideas to the following:
  • Single worded. For example: WIP rather Work in Progress. Release rather New application.
  • Not directed towards any particular addon/api bit.
  • General terms, not terms that'll make people go "lolwut?".

Thanks!

(I'll be back on the 5th of July, July 4th here in the states today)

Hi all,

Recently, i spent a fair amount of time making the Ships of Elite forum nice and pretty with the prefix coloring and so forth.

So, for the active people to this particular forum section (Player Tools & API Development), I've a question!

What prefixes would you like to have in this forum section? Hit me with a list of items via a reply to this thread.

Please keep prefix ideas to the following:
  • Single worded. For example: WIP rather Work in Progress. Release rather New application.
  • Not directed towards any particular addon/api bit.
  • General terms, not terms that'll make people go "lolwut?".

Thanks!

(I'll be back on the 5th of July, July 4th here in the states today)

Hi Brett! Your work on the ships of elite forum hasn't gone unnoticed! I just saw that literally a few minutes ago. Good job!

A few ideas for tags:

[WEB] - for web-based tools
[WIN] - Windows tools
[MAC] - Apple Mac Tools
[WIN/MAC] - Tools that work cross-platform
[ANDROID] - Android based tools
[iOS] - You get the idea :)
[ANDROID/iOS]

This is going to be interesting. Application categorisation would be tempting, but possibly difficult to tie down to a single prefix. You could keep it to prefixing based on the intent of the post. Some thoughts:

General application announcements:

• PREVIEW: Sneak peeks, demos, pre-release info.
  • BETA: "Beta"-version application release.
  • RELEASE: New application release.
  • UPDATE: Update to existing release.

Other:

• FEATURE: New feature announcement.
  • GUIDE: Guide on usage of an application or API.
  • RFC: Request for comment (e.g. developer requesting feedback on a specific feature/function)

I'm not sure that this forum has anywhere near the volume to make prefixes worthwhile.

Data - Raw Spreadsheets, System info, etc. (I also feel there should be a difference between RAW data and processed information like EDDB, but don't know where exactly to draw the line)
UI - Customization and other tools, eg. HUD colour changing
?Control? - Tools for controlling or passing through some controls - VoiceAttack, HOTAS software, etc (May need a better name for it though)

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
I'm not sure that this forum has anywhere near the volume to make prefixes worthwhile.

Its a chicken egg problem imho. Tools are often released in the main Dangerous Discussion forum where they iniitially get the most exposure (which is good) but their thread also have the tendency to get snowed under if they don't get enough replies. If Cmdrs started to create threads directly here - or have a moderator move them to here after say a week or two things would look quite differently I think. Just my 2 pence.

Note: When EdCodex was released last August I did ask quite a few tool authors if they might consider having their thread moved to here, quite a few did that. Not all, but that is their good right ofc. But as its really time consuming to send each tool author a PM as there are atm then 140 entries in the tools section in EDCodex I stopped with that. A suggestion: Cmdr's here could start asking tool authors to have their thread moved to here. In my case my threads were moved by a mod in a few minutes ;-). If enough cmdr's do that and enough authors move their thread things for sure would look different. To use a phrase by Captain Jean Luc Piccard: "make it so".....

Last edited:
A few ideas for tags:

[WIN] - Windows tools
[MAC] - Apple Mac Tools
[ANDROID/iOS]

Perhaps related to the API, such as pretty widespread items like [EDDN], [EDSM], or even [API]

Both good idea, but as stated, I'm not sure there is much discussion coming over there to have a lot ^^
Will try to think by the week of what we could add in that section.

Brett C

Frontier
I've also considered enabling thread tags for this forum, but last time we had that enabled - I ended up with a bunch of expletives and troll words, coupled along with spam. :(

Brett C

Frontier
Plus this might introduce some performance issues?

Minimal at best. After seeing how vBulletin constructs some SQL queries on the forum index and forumdisplay (threads list), you're better off leaving the silly things enabled or just flat out stripping out the code from ever being parsed at run time. :p

Brett C

Frontier
This is going to be interesting. Application categorisation would be tempting, but possibly difficult to tie down to a single prefix. You could keep it to prefixing based on the intent of the post. Some thoughts:

General application announcements:

• PREVIEW: Sneak peeks, demos, pre-release info.
  • BETA: "Beta"-version application release.
  • RELEASE: New application release.
  • UPDATE: Update to existing release.

Other:

• FEATURE: New feature announcement.
  • GUIDE: Guide on usage of an application or API.
  • RFC: Request for comment (e.g. developer requesting feedback on a specific feature/function)

Indeed, the general mindset for thread prefixes are the following:
- General summary of the thread type.
- What the thread revolves around.

A few ideas for tags:

[WIN] - Windows tools
[MAC] - Apple Mac Tools
[ANDROID/iOS]

I can live with these prefixes, but it needs to be known that having a prefix of just WIN rather RELEASE, might introduce some confusion on the development process.

Data - Raw Spreadsheets, System info, etc. (I also feel there should be a difference between RAW data and processed information like EDDB, but don't know where exactly to draw the line)
UI - Customization and other tools, eg. HUD colour changing
?Control? - Tools for controlling or passing through some controls - VoiceAttack, HOTAS software, etc (May need a better name for it though)

Hm, this is an interesting take on such as well.

Perhaps related to the API, such as pretty widespread items like [EDDN], [EDSM], or even [API]

Not sure if i can do 3rd party prefixes. What if later on down the road we get a bunch of 3rd party websites? I don't think we'd want to have deprecated prefixes for websites in the lon term. :p

Not sure if i can do 3rd party prefixes. What if later on down the road we get a bunch of 3rd party websites? I don't think we'd want to have deprecated prefixes for websites in the lon term. :p

Hi Brett. Don't know what you mean about third party websites, I was alluding to the tools using your API. Or were you looking at EDSM as a separate site? Then API would probably cover all of them.

Top Bottom