Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick Preset

Hi Guys,

I did a google search trying to figure out this problem but it appears it is linking me to the old forum and cannot see any of the posts/answers. Apologize if this is in wrong area or a double post.

I have the titled joystick. Two days ago when I got it I played Elite that night. When I went to the controls, to my surprise, there was a preset for the exact controller. Now today I launch the game went straight to play and nothing was the same. I go back into controls and the Preset it gave me (think it just said Thrustmaster or Thrustmaster X) is gone and I am on General Joystick.

Temporarily putting this game to the side until I can figure it out. Anyone run into this? No matter what I've tried I just cannot seem to recover or get that preset to show up. I really don't want to spend the time going through every control if there is a simple fix to this. I'll do it if I have to but figured I'd see if anyone ran into this first before I take the time to do it as I know it'll take a long time as I don't know what half the controls are considered in the first place. (Just started playing Sunday.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Did you map any controls to another controller like an Xbox gamepad? Is it still plugged in?

Did you change any of the controls at all?

If you have a control input mapped that is not connected when the game starts, the client craps the bed and loads an empty scheme.

If you change a default control scheme (even one button), it is saved as "Custom" rather than the default control scheme.

I have the same joystick and haven't run in to any issues, but you'll want to remap anyway just for personal pref's

The100thmonkey- No I switched from using a controller to the stick. The only thing I did since all this was unplug it and put the controller back in to play rocket league so maybe that's the screw up point?

I did change a few controls as I used that preset as like a base starting point. It already was set in a way I liked. I double checked and there was no custom preset either. I managed to locate where what I assume was the custom preset from a few tips from another guide but it doesn't show in game. There was an error log in the same folder that says it doesn't detect my joystick so I am assuming this is why but again doesn't make since as the joystick is working with generic joystick preset.

I found the binding file for the control I used in the game directory and moved it over to the folder I found the custom one in and still no avail.

Either way I screwed up and will have to just map them all now as I stupidly forgot to make a backup of the custom one and deleted all presets and tried to verify integrity of the game through steam to see if that would somehow make everything come back or at-least the premade thrustmaster preset. It did find 2 missing files but overall no luck.

I appreciate the thoughts/help. Next time I can play I'll just take the time to map everything.

I had the same thing happen to me when I started using the T.Flight Hotas, a few days after when I launched the game with my steam controller turned off things got reset. I just had to edit things a bit so the game was recognizing both controllers when I launched it and it started showing the option (and now everything is fine when I launch it either with the steam controller turned on or off).

Don't know if your problem is the same or not, but I can say that when you get that error file regarding recognizing controllers, it messes with what controller options are even selectable in game, despite the bindings file still being present.

For me, specifically, the issue was that Steam controller settings in Steam were set to also emulate xbox and PS controller and I had to switch those settings off (in steam) to get ED to not generate the joystick recognition errors when launched. Once the game wasn't giving that error log anymore, the bindings I had already setup for the T.Flight Hotas were back and working again (i.e. I didn't need to redo all my bindings settings).

Last edited:
Was the gamepad plugged in when you remapped controls? If it was, make sure it's plugged in before you launch the game - not after or during launch, before you double-click the shortcut. If it wasn't, make sure it's unplugged. The custom binds file is there, so you haven't actually lost your mappings. There's just some kind of detection problem for the stick. Perhaps you accidentally triggered an event on the gamepad during binding, for instance, and now the gamepad is unplugged: goodbye, preset. You could also try plugging your joystick into the same port and, if it's plugged into a hub, making sure that you haven't plugged anything else in that will take the hub over the power budget. If the joystick is in a USB3 port/hub, try plugging directly into a USB2 port instead. USB3 ports with attached USB2 peripherals, especially older ones like the HOTAS X, often experience incompatibilities as the USB2 spec is laxer with implementations than USB3, leading to issues with peripherals not powering properly, not being detected, flickering lights and other assorted WTFery.

I know it sounds daft, but I've had lots of experience with disappearing presets as I use a combination of joystick, mouse, 3D controller and gamepad. The control scheme for this game is very flexible, but also very fragile and will break, as you have found, if you look at it a bit funny.

Last edited:
Also check if the light is the same as it was when u set it up since when u change the color of the joystick, u are basically opening it as a diferent controller...

But yeah, dont have another controller plugged in when u are playing the game to prevent problems and also check and test the joystick, even plug it into another port that not the one u are using, sometimes is a hardware problem the cause and not the game.

Last edited:
Thank you guys! I will try all your suggestions the next time I am able to get on to play. Will report back what I find out asap. All three of you have given me things to look at I have not found elsewhere so that is promising.

Unfortunately tried all suggestions except for yours Jaggid and no avail. Jaggid if you see this can you give me an idea on how you did what you suggested?

Steam shows T.Flight Hotas as a detected controller and it does show PS3 at the end. I click it but it is asking to configure controls. How do I disable what you were mentioning?

Isn't there a switch on the stick to switch between PC and PS3 use? If you've flipped that switch, it will present itself to the OS as a different controller.

Soo this entire time I was just an idiot. 100th, thank you. I honestly never noticed the switch in the front. By luck it must of been on pc from the start then I somehow swiped it over to ps3 when putting it away. Unplugged, switched to pc, replugged, launched and now it is there.

I appreciate everyone and especially you 100th for helping the dummy!

Unfortunately tried all suggestions except for yours Jaggid and no avail. Jaggid if you see this can you give me an idea on how you did what you suggested?

Steam shows T.Flight Hotas as a detected controller and it does show PS3 at the end. I click it but it is asking to configure controls. How do I disable what you were mentioning?

I'm glad you got it sorted but I'm going to reply to this anyway just in case it becomes an issue in the future for ya. To change many of the steam controller settings, you need to be in Big Picture Mode of steam and then go to the controller settings option for the game. For whatever reason, some of the setting options are not present in the normal mode, only Big Picture mode.

The PS3 switch that had you messed up happened to me as well when I first got the stick, btw, it's pretty easy to accidentally flip that sucker when putting the stick together...heheh. Take care!

Also check if the light is the same as it was when u set it up since when u change the color of the joystick, u are basically opening it as a diferent controller...

That light on the throttle is a switch between digital/analog controls on the same controller. I use it a lot to switch input during the game.
Join the club - had the same headbanging twice with the PC - PS button behind. Now it is duck-tapped to PC position.

And of course I am using S-curves utility to fine tune deadzones.

Last edited:
Top Bottom