Thrustmaster warthog joystick not detected

I play in VR, have the Oculus Rift. I am trying to switch from the TM 1600 joystick to the Warthog.
I've gone online in search for an answer and none seem to work. Thinking of deleting Steam and Oculus but not sure if I would lose everything doing so.
Tried via ED Launcher and still no go. Don't really want to use Target.

Has to be a way to get it to work. I'm on Windows 10. Any suggestions, maybe I miss something.
First DO NOT DELETE STEAM AND OCULUS - this will NOT help you and just cause a world of trouble.

Be patient and let the cleverer minds here figure out the problem for you. I will take a look and see if there is something I can do to help, I have a Warthog myself, many of us do here, you will get sorted out do not worry.

You will MESS UP your PC by deleting important software like Steam or your Oculus drivers/ecosystem, its 100% NOT necessary to fix this issue.

Gavin786

Ok,

1. WORK OUT IF THE WARTHOG IS WORKING OR NOT

So very first thing we need to do is to work out if your Warthog stick is working or Not.

There is an EXTREMELY useful program that I highly recommend instead of TARGET called "Joystick Gremlin". It is pretty mature now and has a set of testing pages if you go "Tools->Input Viewer". You aught not need to install any drivers(for Warthog, you may need to install vJoy) if you are testing on a W10 PC, just install Joystick Gremlin and test if the Warthog shows up and if the Axes and buttons are working on the Input Viewer. IF NOT then it is possible your warthog has a fault.

So I would do the above test then get back with results.

Gavin786

Last edited:
Success, I think and this is what I did. Unistall Drivers and Joystick, reflash my PC bios, plug in joystick, power on pc.
Now showing as a device in Control Panel, everything working.

Starting game via ED launcher, which fires up Oculus also, and/or in steam, does not show joystick but do have Custom which I'm still in the process of setting up. I play in VR so Voice attack included. I just briefly tried it and it appears to be working, have not tried it with VA yet. I did not install drivers.

So after three days, I'm a happy camper now. Thank you all for the help.

New question now about the rudders, just have the cheap TM ones. Is it possible to adjust how they react? Seems like the pedal only sends a signal at the ends of their travel. Would like everything smooth.

Now for the nerve racking part of controlling the ship with this new setup.

Story goes like this before the change: I am on a planet and wanted for killing a few skimmers. I want to get back to the station so that I can switch ships to practice using new setup, currently in my Python named Dragons Breath. Entering the station should prove exciting. I'll be making sure most if not all bindings are setup to my liking first even though I'm kind of lost as to where most of them are bind too now, lol.

Fly safe Commanders. Cheers.

Now for the nerve racking part of controlling the ship with this new setup.

Story goes like this before the change: I am on a planet and wanted for killing a few skimmers. I want to get back to the station so that I can switch ships to practice using new setup, currently in my Python named Dragons Breath. Entering the station should prove exciting. I'll be making sure most if not all bindings are setup to my liking first even though I'm kind of lost as to where most of them are bind too now, lol.

Fly safe Commanders. Cheers.
What I do when messing with bindings, joystick etc is to do the tutorial missions that closely relates to my changes. There is even one for SRV's

Good grief that was one ugly flight going through the station slot but I eventually made it to my landing pad with a few scratches. This will take time to get use too but liking it so far, it's a nice joy stick for sure.
Now just waiting for my Sidewinder to arrive, it'll be cheaper to replace then any other ships I have should a mishap happen.
Good idea about tutorials, will do.

Success, I think and this is what I did. Unistall Drivers and Joystick, reflash my PC bios, plug in joystick, power on pc.
Now showing as a device in Control Panel, everything working.

Starting game via ED launcher, which fires up Oculus also, and/or in steam, does not show joystick but do have Custom which I'm still in the process of setting up. I play in VR so Voice attack included. I just briefly tried it and it appears to be working, have not tried it with VA yet. I did not install drivers.

So after three days, I'm a happy camper now. Thank you all for the help.

New question now about the rudders, just have the cheap TM ones. Is it possible to adjust how they react? Seems like the pedal only sends a signal at the ends of their travel. Would like everything smooth.

Rudder pedals are the finishing touch. Unfortunately, cheap isn't the solution. I have the cheap TM ones on a secondary PC and they are dreadful compared to expensive pedals. I haven't tried them, but consensus leans towards CH pedals if you want reasonably priced pedals that work fairly well. If you want to get rid of some cash - get a set of MFG Crosswinds. If you want top end, get a set of Slaw Device pedals - if you can even get him to make you a set. I haven't communicated with him for some time, so I'm not positive if he's even still doing them, but you're probably in the $600 range if you can get him to make a pair for you and it'll probably take a few months for him to fill an order.

I also haven't yet tried the high end Thrustmaster pendulum design, but they might be a competitive option for a high quality set.

Personally, if I needed to replace a set today, I'd go with the MFG Crosswinds. If budget was an issue, I'd get the CH pedals.

HTH

https://mfg-sim.com/en/

Last edited:
I'm actually thinking getting the VKB rudders. I have one of their joystick and it's a nice piece of equipment, just not the right one for use with VR.

I'm actually thinking getting the VKB rudders. I have one of their joystick and it's a nice piece of equipment, just not the right one for use with VR.

I have seen posts from users who like them. I don't doubt that they are a high quality product.

My concerns were that availability is spotty and that they don't have toe brakes.

It apparently does allow for virtual toe brakes via software, but I don't know how that would be utilized in ED. Other than that it looks to be a nice product.

Don't need toe brakes in space. I also fly planes, (sim) or should say started too and I think toe brakes are overated, good to have if you really want realism in a flying game I guess.

You are correct about ordering them though but I have no issues about that anyway. I actually just got an email that they are waiting for a shipment from where I order from.

In the meantime, I have a new stick I need to learn to handle, it's mind boggling all the bindings one must try to remember, especially when a Joystick, Throttle, Button box and XBox controller are all involved.

Top Bottom