Timber Wolf is in desperate need of a model update

View attachment 270701View attachment 270702View attachment 270703View attachment 270704View attachment 270705

Im just leaving this here, for all the "bUt aLl tHoUsE bIg dIfFeRenCes".
These differences are not worth splitting them in two different ingame species, or to just take some representation from either continent.
Just a very not ideal move, and they should just rename them grey wolf.

Do they look like their warmer climate subspecies? No but who are we kidding, they were never meant to be. In discribtions, looks and biomes, they are meant to be the subspecies ranging from temperate to taiga, so calling for the northamerican subspecies, because "they dont represent all subspecies" is stupid. Id rather get the red wolf like we got the arctic one, some subspecies with actual visual differences, instead of doing this limiting move.
And thats the main problem, its limiting. So stop it, dont limit the ways we can use the wolfs for what ever differences you find in these 5 pictures.
The fact that its called timberwolf is the mistake and should just simply be renamed to grey wolf, cause its a bad word, as it is unprecise and doesnt have a real meaning. Its not a real species or subspecies, but just a cool way to say cold biome wolf.
I mean just look at were that word is mostly used? When you check the habitat, it most of the time shows both eurasia and northamerica, even in zoos (cause yes i found german zoos that used timberwolf for their european wolf and had the informations written for the generic grey wolf)
Those aren't really good Pictures for Comparison but it let's me think, they could give it a thicker Fur, so it looks less North American and more general and fix the Name either back to Wolf or Grey Wolf, because as @ElectricMonk pointed out, the Name Timberwolf normally refers to different North American Subspecies. Making the Model look more generic through thicker Fur and maybe also a few other Changes and changing the Name would probably be less Work than fixing the Mess that's the "Timberwolf" Zoopedia.
But how likely would any of this be to happen? We still didn't get a Fix for the Malayan Tapir

Honestly.

Just provide a darker colored, thinner furred, slighter framed reskin of the current timber wolf, call it the Eurasian wolf, rename the current timber wolf the North American wolf, adjust their ranges and zoopedia, and call it a day. Provide the update along with a free patch and done.

One person can probably do it within a day, and everybody is happy.

Just like these (Eurasian) Dutch wolves :) That look nothing like the wolves we've got in game.
wolf-drenthe-4-mei-2018.jpg
wolf.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
In Europe the two (pure) grey wolves subspecies which you see the most are the Eurasian (Canis lupus lupus) with around 200 holders and Mackenzie valley wolf (Canis lupus occidentalis) with around 50 holders - which is a North American subspecies from the northern part of the continent. Source for this is Zootierliste.de

The following pictures are all from that same website, so these are pictures from zoos which recognize these animals as the two mentioned subspecies:

Eu ulv 1.jpg
Eu ulv 2.jpg
Eu ulv 3.jpg

NA ulv 1.jpg
NA ulv 2.jpg
NA ulv 3.gif

Don't tell me you can't see noticeable differences here?

To further highlight some differences between the two according to Wikipedia:

Here the weight of males was reported at between 45 and 72 kg (99 and 159 lb), while the females were reported at 36 to 60 kg (79 to 132 lb).[12]
In comparison, the mean adult weights of its nearest rivals in size, the Eurasian wolf (C. l. lupus) and the Interior Alaskan wolf (C. l. pambasileus), was reported as 39 kg (86 lb) and 40 kg (88 lb), respectively.[13][14] Sir John Richardson described the northwestern wolf* as having a more robust build than the Eurasian wolf, with a larger, rounder head and a thicker, more obtuse muzzle. Its ears are also shorter, and its fur bushier.[1]

*northwestern wolf is another used name for Canis lupus occidentalis

I really don't think you would do these two subspecies justice by sweeping them under the same model.

Last edited:
That's misinterpreting what I said. Before the Arctic Pack, the Arctic wolf was represented once. Now it's represented twice because the devs refused to specify the "timber" wolf subspecies.
I think we’re just going to have to disagree in this point - in the end, my view is that the arctic wolf is only represented once because the ‘Timber wolf’ model is phenotypically clearly not an arctic wolf. Rather it represents a number of subspecies sharing ecological and morphological characteristics. In my view your interpretation of the classification is simply wrong but I don’t think we’re likely to come to an agreement on this point, since we’ve both put forward our points of view and are, at this point, just repeating ourselves.

Last edited:
Bruh call it whatever kind of wolf you want. The point of this topic is that the timber/gray/eurasian wolf is ugly.

Sorry, but it looks like werewolf Stuart Little. The face just looks so weird. And I think it needs a makeover way more than the malayan tapir. At least the Malayan tapir looks like a tapir, even if it isn't the right kind, it doesn't look like an abomination. The Timber wolf however, needs plastic surgery

I like your solution. It probably won't be that much work, because the Eurasian wolf would be a clone of the north American wolf, with only new zoopedia info and minor model changes.
... because of course Frontier would hate to clone a North American animal for Eurasia, haha. But yeah, that's certainly true.

Top Bottom