Dinosaurs Time to introduce some new fossil artworks (Proposal)

Hello everyone! 👋

I brought this up from my experience playing the campaign mode in 2019. I believe one new addition that would help the game aesthetically is the introduction of new fossil artworks.

When the game first came out, we had a base roster of 37 dinosaurs if we were to not include the deluxe dlc (which bumps it up to 42). From the base 37 dinosaurs, we have 28 herbivores and 9 carnivores. Back then, these were the current artworks used for the roster of dinosaurs we had in game.

Overall it covered the dinosaurs well, we had fossils that covers the niche of every herbivore in game and the small number of carnivores would simply make sense for the fossils to be separated into small and large carnivore fossils in respect to the 2 categories of carnivore dinosaurs.

Now, I am very happy that the game has increased in total dinosaur count to 62 dinosaurs. With the addition of 12 herbivores and 13 carnivores.

This was great as it solved the problem of the lack of carnivores the game first had during launch, and gave us a more balanced and varied park assets to play with in our parks. However, this leads to a new problem, the amount of carnivores added to the game is more than double than that of the initial roster, and the total number of carnivores now has increased in percentage from 24% to 35% which does not seem like much on paper but is rather noticeable in the game. With the huge amount of carnivores, and with the dinosaur roster still growing with future additions, I believe it is best to implement some new fossil artworks into the game.

As far as I know, all carnivore dinosaurs currently known are in the theropod group, and while this makes things easy to have a large and small fossil, the two current fossil options slightly hinder the diversity these carnivores really have. We have a notable growth of carnivores since launch and they cover families like the spinosauridae, Abelisauridae, Allosauridae, and Carcharodontosauridae. Each one sporting a distinctive skull shape that is notably different in shape from the standard carnivore fossil we got.

I believe there should be more love to the fossil options for the carnivores to signify their differences more than their similarities. It will make digging up their fossils more exciting as they hint at a new carnivore to take care of and how different they could be from the last. An excitement that builds up as spinosaurids are so distinct from the standard therapod thanks to their wetland need and fish feeders, and how families like the Carcharodontosauridae and Abelisauridae are exclusively locked away in research, and after researching the dinosaurs would make uncovering their fossils just as exciting.

Likewise, I also think it is best to distinguish the Ornithomimidae from the standard small carnivores as the number of small carnivores has doubled since launch (from 3 to 6) and giving the small herbivores (aside from the pachys) and small carnivores fossils that makes them distinguishable from each other would add to their overall uniqueness.

This is what I have in mind, but please let me know what you think! I know this does not affect gameplay mechanics but I think this will enhance the gameplay experience of digging the fossils in the game.

Last edited:
Yes. This.

I would add to this and say that I'd also like to see both crested and non-crested ornithopod fossils. Both of these technically already exist. The game shipped with a fossil that resembled Parasaurolophus. In a patch this crest was removed from the fossil image. So now none of the hadrosaurs have crested fossils. I'm suggesting that both should be used so that they are appropriately crested/non-crested.

The game shipped with a fossil that resembled Parasaurolophus. In a patch this crest was removed from the fossil image.

I do recall that, and I kinda miss it (Parasaurolophus is one of my favorite dinosaurs in game).
I do think the game could handle some more fossil artworks for the long run. I think we may get nearly 100 dinosaurs by the end of its support, so new fossil artworks should be able to help make the species of dinosaurs more unique and give us a more colorful fossil selection to extract from in the fossil center.

Last edited:
I do recall that, and I kinda miss it (Parasaurolophus is one of my favorite dinosaurs in game).
I do think the game could handle some more fossil artworks for the long run. I think we may get nearly 100 dinosaurs by the end of its support, so new fossil artworks should be able to help make the species of dinosaurs more unique and give us a more colorful fossil selection to extract from in the fossil center.
Oh S***! I remember that, but I never noticed they took it out.

Hello everyone! 👋

I brought this up from my experience playing the campaign mode in 2019. I believe one new addition that would help the game aesthetically is the introduction of new fossil artworks.

When the game first came out, we had a base roster of 37 dinosaurs if we were to not include the deluxe dlc (which bumps it up to 42). From the base 37 dinosaurs, we have 28 herbivores and 9 carnivores. Back then, these were the current artworks used for the roster of dinosaurs we had in game.

View attachment 140382

Overall it covered the dinosaurs well, we had fossils that covers the niche of every herbivore in game and the small number of carnivores would simply make sense for the fossils to be separated into small and large carnivore fossils in respect to the 2 categories of carnivore dinosaurs.

Now, I am very happy that the game has increased in total dinosaur count to 62 dinosaurs. With the addition of 12 herbivores and 13 carnivores.

This was great as it solved the problem of the lack of carnivores the game first had during launch, and gave us a more balanced and varied park assets to play with in our parks. However, this leads to a new problem, the amount of carnivores added to the game is more than double than that of the initial roster, and the total number of carnivores now has increased in percentage from 24% to 35% which does not seem like much on paper but is rather noticeable in the game. With the huge amount of carnivores, and with the dinosaur roster still growing with future additions, I believe it is best to implement some new fossil artworks into the game.

View attachment 140383

As far as I know, all carnivore dinosaurs currently known are in the theropod group, and while this makes things easy to have a large and small fossil, the two current fossil options slightly hinder the diversity these carnivores really have. We have a notable growth of carnivores since launch and they cover families like the spinosauridae, Abelisauridae, Allosauridae, and Carcharodontosauridae. Each one sporting a distinctive skull shape that is notably different in shape from the standard carnivore fossil we got.

I believe there should be more love to the fossil options for the carnivores to signify their differences more than their similarities. It will make digging up their fossils more exciting as they hint at a new carnivore to take care of and how different they could be from the last. An excitement that builds up as spinosaurids are so distinct from the standard therapod thanks to their wetland need and fish feeders, and how families like the Carcharodontosauridae and Abelisauridae are exclusively locked away in research, and after researching the dinosaurs would make uncovering their fossils just as exciting.

Likewise, I also think it is best to distinguish the Ornithomimidae from the standard small carnivores as the number of small carnivores has doubled since launch (from 3 to 6) and giving the small herbivores (aside from the pachys) and small carnivores fossils that makes them distinguishable from each other would add to their overall uniqueness.

This is what I have in mind, but please let me know what you think! I know this does not affect gameplay mechanics but I think this will enhance the gameplay experience of digging the fossils in the game.
Did you make those fossil designs? Because they look AWESOME!

Nothing really changes if they add this, but it still would be great if they added this, especially the Carnivore Fossils. There just isn't any diversity between all the Carnivore fossil types. I especially like the Spinosauridae type fossil because it brings out what makes them different from the others.

Again, if this is your artwork, it looks absolutely AWESOME! And it really looks like its part of the game.

@STARKILLER04
I drew them yes, but I greatly believe its best if frontier made their own artworks for the fossils. My artworks are mainly mockups to give an idea on how these fossils could look like in the game, they lack the details and shading that would be applied in official artwork. Plus the rocks I used were from already existing fossil artworks in game, and it would be for the best if Frontier made the rock, and fossil from the ground up.

@STARKILLER04
I drew them yes, but I greatly believe its best if frontier made their own artworks for the fossils. My artworks are mainly mockups to give an idea on how these fossils could look like in the game, they lack the details and shading that would be applied in official artwork. Plus the rocks I used were from already existing fossil artworks in game, and it would be for the best if Frontier made the rock, and fossil from the ground up.
Yeah it would be best if they started their own artwork. It still looks AWESOME though! I like it alot🙂🙂🙂

Abelisaur Fossil: Carnotaurus, Majungasaurus
Ankylosaur Fossil: Ankylosaurus, Crichtonsaurus, Euoplocephalus, Nodosaurus, Polacanthus, Sauropelta
Carnosaur Fossil: Acrocanthosaurus, Allosaurus, Carcharadontosaurus, Ceratosaurus, Giganotosaurus, Metriacanthosaurus
Ceratopsian Fossil: Chasmosaurus, Pentaceratops, Sinoceratops, Styracosaurus, Torosaurus, Triceratops
Dromaeosaur Fossil: Deinonychus, Dilophosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Proceratosaurus, Troodon, Velociraptor
Ornithomimosaur Fossil: Archaeornithomimus, Gallimimus, Struthiomimus
Ornithopod Fossil: Corythosaurus, Edmontosaurus, Iguanodon, Maiasaura, Muttaburrasaurus, Olorotitan, Ouranosaurus, Parasaurolophus, Tsintaosaurus
Pachycephalosaur Fossil: Dracorex, Pachycephalosaurus, Stygimoloch
Sauropod Fossil: Apatosaurus, Brachiosaurus, Camarasaurus, Diplodocus, Dreadnoughtus, Mamenchisaurus
Spinosaur Fossil: Baryonyx, Spinosaurus, Suchomimus
Stegosaur Fossil: Chunkingosaurus, Gigantospinosaurus, Huayangosaurus, Kentrosaurus, Stegosaurus
Tyrannosaur Fossil: Albertosaurus, Tyrannosaurus

123.jpg

This may still be a developer build for all I know, but if not, could we please have the Pteranodons have a unique fossil that is not the small carnivore fossil? The pteranodon is a truly unique creature in the game due to it being a winged and crested pterasaur and not a dinosaur in similar families or anatomy to the small theropods in game.

New dinosaurs (and creatures at this point) would be harder to divide and hinder their uniqueness with the current fossil selection. But again, this may as well be a placeholder, and I will update this if it does or does not get changed upon the DLC's release.

Perhaps there should also be a new one to differentiate the tall Sauropods from the horizontal ones?
The sauropods are pretty similar to each other anatomically and are unique from other families with their really long necks and large bodies. So I could see them use the same fossil for the sauropods as a whole unless they bring something different like a prosauropod, and maybe then would a new one be introduced.

As the peterandon is currently given the small carnivore fossil. The new fossil lineup will now consist of 5 additional fossil artworks to match the niches properly in the game.

Fossils 2020.png

I went with a very subtle looking pterosaur fossil that is not entirely Pteranodon looking. This is so that if any further pterosaur inclusions were to be made to the game, they could use this fossil. So the crest is shorter than the standard pteranodon, and the fossil artwork ends with the torso so that any pterosaur with a tail could be included, such as the dimorphodon. I could see the head being more rounder if the dimorphodon gets in, but we could use this skull shape for the time being as a majority of pterosaurs have the distinct pointy beak shape.

And just as how @Mickey Megafauna pointed out, the fossil artworks will be spread to these dinosaurs:

Abelisaur Fossil: Carnotaurus, Majungasaurus
Ankylosaur Fossil: Ankylosaurus, Crichtonsaurus, Euoplocephalus, Nodosaurus, Polacanthus, Sauropelta
Carnosaur Fossil: Acrocanthosaurus, Allosaurus, Carcharodontosaurus, Ceratosaurus, Giganotosaurus, Metriacanthosaurus
Ceratopsian Fossil: Chasmosaurus, Pentaceratops, Sinoceratops, Styracosaurus, Torosaurus, Triceratops
Dromaeosaur Fossil: Deinonychus, Dilophosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Proceratosaurus, Troodon, Velociraptor
Ornithomimosaur Fossil: Archaeornithomimus, Gallimimus, Struthiomimus
Ornithopod Fossil: Corythosaurus, Edmontosaurus, Iguanodon, Maiasaura, Muttaburrasaurus, Olorotitan, Ouranosaurus, Parasaurolophus, Tsintaosaurus
Pachycephalosaur Fossil: Dracorex, Pachycephalosaurus, Stygimoloch
Sauropod Fossil: Apatosaurus, Brachiosaurus, Camarasaurus, Diplodocus, Dreadnoughtus, Mamenchisaurus
Spinosaur Fossil: Baryonyx, Spinosaurus, Suchomimus
Stegosaur Fossil: Chungkingosaurus, Gigantspinosaurus, Huayangosaurus, Kentrosaurus, Stegosaurus
Tyrannosaur Fossil: Albertosaurus, Tyrannosaurus
Pterosaur Fossil: Pteranodon

Last edited:
Top Bottom