Tritium hotspot

Tritium is used as fuel for the Fleet Carriers, so it's been around since their introduction in 2020.
Tritium hotspots are found in icy rings, and it's not an uncommon occurrence.

Might be worth publishing the location for the carrier explorers.

Is there anything like a rating of hotspots? I mean, I find trit hotspots in icy-body rings that are so thin they are close to invisible: they are likely to be impractical to mine.
I also find hotspots in solid white/opaque rings around gas giants that seem ideal spots for tritium mining. And, of course, anything in between.

High-quality hotspots, reasonably close to the entry star would be worth publishing, but ... a method for ranking spots would be needed.

Is there anything like a rating of hotspots? I mean, I find trit hotspots in icy-body rings that are so thin they are close to invisible: they are likely to be impractical to mine.
I also find hotspots in solid white/opaque rings around gas giants that seem ideal spots for tritium mining. And, of course, anything in between.

High-quality hotspots, reasonably close to the entry star would be worth publishing, but ... a method for ranking spots would be needed.

The only thing that is interesting about a hotspot is how many tons per hour you can mine in that hotspot in that particular ring
And it's the ring that matter - aka all tritium hotspots in a certain ring will have the same yield when mined at the same distance from the center (for laser mining it's important to mine within the 10% from the hotspot center)
However, not all rings are the same, some are better, some are worse, but the only way to know that is to mine in those rings and write down some statistics
(sure, all these matters if you are an experienced miner, with a good ship and a good method that can offer consistent and repeatable yields from one session to another)

In short: No

The size visible in SC is of scale. They are still very huge when you drop into the ring. The outer edges of the hotspot yield less so it is advised to stay in the middle. The middle can be many many 1000s of Km. Between hotspots there are no differences

Unless you find a very special overlap of Platinum no hotspot is really special. They are everywhere.

Known special hotspots:

Triple overlap Platinum (Somewhere; close to bubble)
Macua - Pt hotspot with HazRez. Mining inside a hazres zone almost triples yields from one rock. Cmdrs have filled up 512 tons of platinum in under 30 minutes

Tritium mining is just very bad effort per hour. If you are really really good/lucky you can manage 200 ton per hour. That is just not worth it since one 500ly jump is around 120-130 ton

The only thing that is interesting about a hotspot is how many tons per hour you can mine in that hotspot in that particular ring
And it's the ring that matter - aka all tritium hotspots in a certain ring will have the same yield when mined at the same distance from the center (for laser mining it's important to mine within the 10% from the hotspot center)
However, not all rings are the same, some are better, some are worse, but the only way to know that is to mine in those rings and write down some statistics
In ideal circumstances, yes. But we don't have those, as noone would go out and explore mining yield in remote hotspots, and noone can really expect the OP to do test mining. So I wondered if anyone has come up with a way, not to estimate yield to some acceptable accuracy, but to say 'in this neighbourhood of space, system A appears to have better trit hotspot(s) and locations than system B', and so system A would be preferrable as a temporary location of exploration stopover, as mining tritium could be expected to be 'better'.

Your last statement seems to say that visual appearance (i.e. 'fat' part of the ring, vs 'thin' part of the ring where the hotspot is located) have no correlation with mining yield, everything else being the same. Is that a correct intrpretation?

I should perhaps add that I'm not interested in comparing hotspots within a system, only compare the hotspot that appear to be the best in system A with system B. In 'best' I include distance to entry star: a perfect hotspot 400kls away from an entry star is of no interest in this regard, and might as well not exist. And if I imagine myself to be in the OPs position, a system of estimating quality that at least has a rough repeatability, would be desirable. If I may be fancicul, it would be like those 'information to ships' documents published by the UK government in the 1800s, that said that 'the lagoon of <atoll X> is at least F fathoms deep. A cache of ship biscuits and tins of preserved oranges was left at the northern top of peninsula <P>. Local fish supply is more than adequate.'

Last edited:
I'm the odd one out. I too have to feed my FC far out in the black. I find that hotspots are just as generous on the fringes of the marked region as they are in the centre. I usually take more than one shipload of tritium from the same field and find that productivity varies.
I suspect that there is a certain random element involved in the generation of viable asteroids per session, just like the random element that created systems that have suitable planets with rings in or near the system you randomly picked as your destination for that hop.
In an apparently predictable galaxy, the RNG is king.

Top Bottom