Ships Type 9 "minion-mancer" build? HALP

I need some help with my Type 9 build.

Just a heads-up: I know some folks are going to say, "Go with a different ship / this build is not meta / FDL or GTFO", etc., but please address my actual question.

What I'm going for is a "minion-mancer" type of build for fighting against pirates alongside my NPC fighter (and/or multicrew human co-pilot) and the local authorities. I love the idea of building up my fighter pilot and using turrets for everything. I've actually already been playing with this build for 5-7 hours or so, and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. I just keep getting splatted.

What I have is a stupid desire to hang on to my Class 8 Cargo Racks, when I suspect I need to turn one of them into Hull Reinforcement or something. I keep thinking I can tank such and such, and I can while I have allies, but as soon as I get one on one with ANYTHING, my "Harmless" shows and I lose the three bounties I just racked up.

So assuming you had credits to burn, and a desire to still sometimes keep a bit of cargo capacity, how would you build this style of battle cattle?

Thanks CMDRs.

The T9 suffers from being a poor combat vessel in the first place, probably exaggerated by your cargo racks. If you want to stick with it, engineer some reactive armour and a stack of reinforcement modules.

A T10 turret boat might be a wiser choice

Stand and fight in a T-X ?

Nah

They're best designed to survive the initial attack and high wake out.

But I admire your grit

I've been flying a combat cow for two years now. I don't have the build saved anywhere, I still make minor changes to loadouts. Basically A-rate all of the core modules except for life support (that's always D-rated), keep both size 8 cargo holds, install a 7A shield and G5 SLF hanger, 3A collector limpet controller, and fill in the other optional slots with fuel scoop or cargo racks as needed. Everything is G5 engineered withthe exception of the drives (I haven't unlocked Palin yet) My main hauler carries 610 cargo, the mining version loses a bit to the mining gear and only carries 512, while the unarmed version carries 660.
I avoid PvP areas, so all I really have to deal with is NPCs. I don't need to run from anything smaller than an Anaconda, and if I have security help I can take them on. With a rebuy of 10M, I don't feel too bad if I lose a fight once in a while.

I have heard the T10 is really a totally different beast than the T9. If it's going to feel the same / look the same in the cockpit but serve me better, then maybe I DO want to swap?

Maybe?

EDIT: the main question is do you mainly want to fight, or do you mainly want to haul?

The T9 and T10 are similar to an extent. Same big slow ship handling, same cockpit, etc. The difference is that one is designed to haul, the other is designed to get roughed up in combat. The T10 is marginally faster and has more responsive handling, and has bigger PP and PD to handle all the extra weapon hardpoints.

I'm in the process of building something like this: https://s.orbis.zone/56kf

But if you really want some cargo, perhaps this might be more appropriate: https://s.orbis.zone/56kg Size 8 cargo, 7 shields, SLF, 9 turrets spewing stuff.

Regardless, a T10 will cost you a lot more to purchase and outfit compared to a T9. But you're certainly more likely to survive in a RES. I prefer the pirates come to me, hence the long-range beams, or carry a tonne of gold..

By comparison my T9 https://s.orbis.zone/56kk is built to haul cargo. The guns are just for show, never fired a shot.

this is my T9 https://s.orbis.zone/56ml

I have not lost an interdiction when loaded for quite some time. Probably more to do with how I fly than luck:)

When empty I always submit and if its worthwhile (some small e) I will take them on, don't win very often, most of the time they run away and I cannot catch them :-(

I have also had my best kill with the aid of the local authorities, I was loaded and he pulled me out with an interdiction and decided I should die, I almost did but he lost and I was up a cool 2 mil minus expensive repairs.

Top Bottom