Unexplainably Low Frame Rate -- Please Help

Ok, so I've been trying everything I can think of to increase my frame rate with the Oculus Rift. Its pretty consistant between 23-26fps, no matter what I do.

First off, here are the specs of my computer:

AMD FX-9590 4.7GHz 8 Core Processor
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Motherboard
AMD Radeon R9 295x2 Video Card
16 GB DDR3 Ram
500GB SSD HD

The CPU and Video Card are both Liquid Cooled.

I was oversampling at 1440p, but have lowered it back to 1080p, and it seems to have had 0 effect on the frame rate, still within the same 23-26 fps window.

I've changed the preset down from High to Low, and disabled antialiasing. No effect.

I'm using the new Omega drivers, is that my problem? I only just got the computer, so I've never used the older drivers pre-omega, so I haven't got anything to compare it to, it just seems that it should be performing a LOT better considering that all the parts are pretty high end.

Its like nothing I do has any affect on the frame rate, and the small amount of judder is driving me insane!

I'm certain I should be able to run this game at 75fps steady, and I am willing to try anything, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

SlackR

Banned
Have no clue when it comes to AMD cards but disabling the monitor and switching it to a DVI port sorted out my FPS. I also tweaked the 3d settings in the NVIDIA control panel to run everything at max performance rather than quality.
Sorry I can't help more.

I'm not an AMD guy either, while waiting for an expert, are you running in extended?
Also remove one of the card to avoid the complexity of SLI (or the AMD equal)

Yes, I'm running in extended, and the R9 295x2 is one of those fancy 2 GPU cards, so I can't remove one of the cards, as its just one card. Someone on Reddit suggested I create an application profile disabling Crossfire, so I'm going to try that and see if it makes a difference.

Make sure that your system is clean of dust. I know it sounds silly but ED tends to heat up GPU's quite nicely and we had another user here with decent specs who solved his FPS issues by cleaning out his heatsinks.

Also make sure there is no packaging inside the case.

Its completely clean, I built it myself, and that was just last week.

So, a fellow on reddit suggested that I disable crossfire, by creating an application profile for the .exe with crossfire disabled, and that more than doubled my FPS. I'm now sitting between 65-70 in station, so trying to squeeze out that last 5-10fps to eliminate all traces of judder. My system SHOULD be able to do it without problems, so I'm not sure why its struggling so much.

Congratulations you are the first person to find a problem with AMD OR. I have a 7970 and its fine. Running 14.4 drivers I will not update due to various reports that the new drivers don't perform too well.

Ok, so I've been trying everything I can think of to increase my frame rate with the Oculus Rift. Its pretty consistant between 23-26fps, no matter what I do.

First off, here are the specs of my computer:

AMD FX-9590 4.7GHz 8 Core Processor
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Motherboard
AMD Radeon R9 295x2 Video Card
16 GB DDR3 Ram
500GB SSD HD

The CPU and Video Card are both Liquid Cooled.

I was oversampling at 1440p, but have lowered it back to 1080p, and it seems to have had 0 effect on the frame rate, still within the same 23-26 fps window.

I've changed the preset down from High to Low, and disabled antialiasing. No effect.

I'm using the new Omega drivers, is that my problem? I only just got the computer, so I've never used the older drivers pre-omega, so I haven't got anything to compare it to, it just seems that it should be performing a LOT better considering that all the parts are pretty high end.

Its like nothing I do has any affect on the frame rate, and the small amount of judder is driving me insane!

I'm certain I should be able to run this game at 75fps steady, and I am willing to try anything, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I was going to make a new thread and then I decided I was too tired so I'd post a PSA in the morning, but as you're having problems op I might be able to help.

I have an FX4100 quad core and 2x 7850's so my rig is pretty old now. Today I got it running silky smooth on high settings in the DK2. Not tested ultra yet.
All lag gone during warp, gal & sys maps load instantly now and so does the station menu:

1 - I made two new profiles in the catalyst control centre, one to make the rift the primary screen and disable my monitor. The other to reset it to two extended monitors with the desktop on my screen not the rift. Now I can toggle my monitor on and off with Alt+R or Alt+S (the hotkeys I chose).
2 - Use Rift in extended mode.
3 - Make a hotkey for the ED launcher from right clicking the icon on your desktop for it (I use numberpad -).
4 - disable crossfire (VERY IMPORTANT).
5 - Press Alt+R to turn off the monitor, lights off too have the added benefit of letting no light in the Rift!
6 - Press numberpad - to start the ED launcher
7 - Put on Rift, close one eye and click Login then Start
8 - Enjoy 75fps +

2 x 280x's here and crossfire isnt working either with new omega drivers or the older 14.6 14.4... it seems FD have messed xfire up :/

+80-100 fps xfire off @ 1080 and 50-60fps with xfire on.

I really have to downgrade from 14.9 to 14.4 i guess. My R9 290 wuns at 1150mhz but supercruise is a juddery mess even at low.

There does seem to be something weird going on with Crossfire - in that some people have issues and some don't. For example, I'm running an i7 4790k at 4.8GHz and two R9 290X's, both overclocked and watercooled, and have no performance drop when I enable Crossfire (although I only gain about 5fps with it on).

2 x 280x's here and crossfire isnt working either with new omega drivers or the older 14.6 14.4... it seems FD have messed xfire up :/

+80-100 fps xfire off @ 1080 and 50-60fps with xfire on.

nVidia have already confirmed they are working on optimising VR support on SLi configurations and will push it as a driver update, and I guess AMD will probably follow suit (if they aren't already). It would appear that SLi / Crossfire as they are currently implemented, don't play that well with the needs of VR rendering.

How do I make those profiles in CCC to make the rift the primary screen and disable my monitor?

EDIT: I actually figured it out... but it seems like the judder is worse with the monitor off. Doesn't make sense, so I'll play around with it some more.

EDIT2: Seems that with the Rift set as Primary and the monitor disabled, the FPS is locked at 60fps. Not sure why this is, as both CCC and Elite are both showing 75hz for the refresh rate. Doesn't seem very likely that its coincidence that its sitting at 60.0 instead of fluctuating around...

Last edited:
If nothing else helps try to eleminate any application that has a "OnTop" window anywhere on the desktop. Pinned Windows are messing with fullscreen games on the primary Rift monitor.

Top Bottom