Use of internal slots

I do think it would be great if, instead of having to fit one module into each slot up to and including the size of the slot, we could also fit in smaller modules to fill in any spare space.

So, for example, a size 6 slot can hold a size 6 module. Fine. But if I put a size 5 module in there, I'd also like to be able to put in a size 1 as well, in the same slot with the size 5.

I know there can be all sorts of future-tech reasons why we can't - for example, it's not about size but about connectivity or something - but I think in the 34th Century they'd have got efficient use of space off to a 'T'.

So, if this can be included, I'd be most grateful. We can always invent technospeak reasons why these things are not possible, but it is of course a programming issue and we can always invent the story to explain it later.

The slots are more like PCI express slots on a motherboard - there are multiple standards and while you may be able to fit a smaller unit it still occupies an entire slot.

Counter proposal - add a module splitter unit.
  1. Comes in 3 variants
    1. C8 splitter allows two C3 modules to be fitted
    2. C6 splitter allows two C2 modules to be fitted
    3. C4 splitter allows two C1 modules to be fitted
  2. The splitter would have power requirements over and above the connected modules and may increase the power demand of the attached modules (e.g. 10% increase in Power Supply/Power Distributer demand)
  3. If the splitter integrity drops below a certain level than connected sub-modules would start to malfunction
  4. If the splitter deactivate then sub-modules are deactivated automatically
  5. Splitter would not work in restricted slots

Hehe great idea, yes, I had a siimilar idea as a follow-on, but I was going to call it 'partitioning'; not like on a hard drive, but more like being able to section off parts of the slot space (I thnk of the slots as rooms rather than connectors) to be used for smaller units. Like taking a suburban house and converting it into flats.

Love your analogy of PCI slots, though. Something like that was what I would have anticipated as a 'reason why not'. But I suppose at the end of the day the designers can use whatever terminology they want as a technospeak 'reason'; it's their game and they can do what they want - but only if they want to!

A idea is to research modular splitting on the forums. You will see how the idea sounds great and people point out the flaws.

Last edited:
So, for example, a size 6 slot can hold a size 6 module. Fine. But if I put a size 5 module in there, I'd also like to be able to put in a size 1 as well, in the same slot with the size 5.

A size 1 module and a size 5 module don't make a size 6 module. If you put a size 5 module in a size 6 slot you have space for another size 5 module. Or I think 32 size 1 modules, I can't be bothered thinking to hard about it, but stacking defensive modules becomes a real issue.

There's been plenty of suggestions on this topic already.

One of the recurring things players with these suggestions always forget is that module sizes scale exponentially rather than linearly. A class 6 isn't a tiny bit bigger than a class 5, it's twice the size. Indeed, fitting a class 5 and a class 1 module into a class 6 bay results in a ~47% reduction in available space.

My personal suggestion on this matter would be for a bay splitter to occupy 25% of the internal space of the slot by turning a slot into two bays, with one bay being 1 size smaller and the other being 2 sizes smaller. For example, a class 6 would become a class 5 and a class 4; while a class 4 would become a class 3 and a class 2. Considering how many modules aren't available in sizes past 5, module splitters for classes beyond 6 could just split into larger numbers of class 4s and 5s (so a class 7 would be 2 4s and 2 5s, while an 8 would be 4 4s and 4 5s).

There are potential issues with regards to defensive module stacking, but I would personally argue that is due to broken module scaling in the first place. As long as a module 16x the size only offers ~3.5x the performance, then it will obviously be difficult to balance against things like cargo that do scale well according to their size.

There's been plenty of suggestions on this topic already.

One of the recurring things players with these suggestions always forget is that module sizes scale exponentially rather than linearly. A class 6 isn't a tiny bit bigger than a class 5, it's twice the size. Indeed, fitting a class 5 and a class 1 module into a class 6 bay results in a ~47% reduction in available space.

My personal suggestion on this matter would be for a bay splitter to occupy 25% of the internal space of the slot by turning a slot into two bays, with one bay being 1 size smaller and the other being 2 sizes smaller. For example, a class 6 would become a class 5 and a class 4; while a class 4 would become a class 3 and a class 2. Considering how many modules aren't available in sizes past 5, module splitters for classes beyond 6 could just split into larger numbers of class 4s and 5s (so a class 7 would be 2 4s and 2 5s, while an 8 would be 4 4s and 4 5s).

There are potential issues with regards to defensive module stacking, but I would personally argue that is due to broken module scaling in the first place. As long as a module 16x the size only offers ~3.5x the performance, then it will obviously be difficult to balance against things like cargo that do scale well according to their size.

Modified Counter proposal - add a module splitter unit.
  1. Comes in 3 variants (effectively trading capacity for versatility)
    1. C8 splitter allows two C6 modules to be fitted
    2. C6 splitter allows two C4 modules to be fitted
    3. C4 splitter allows two C2 modules to be fitted
  2. The splitter would have power requirements over and above the connected modules and may increase the power demand of the attached modules (e.g. 10% increase in Power Supply/Power Distributer demand)
  3. If the splitter integrity drops below a certain level than connected sub-modules would start to malfunction
  6. Splitter modules could be restricted to non-military modules
    1. No Hull Reinforcement class modules
    2. No Module Reinforcement class modules
  7. Nesting of splitters might be feasible but any detrimental effects (e.g. power drain) would be applied as an additive factor
    1. C6 nested in a C8 would assign 10% more power draw against the C6 and 20% more power draw against the modules fitted to the C6.
    2. C4 nested in a C6 nested in a C8 would add 30% more power draw against the modules fitted to the C4.

Modified Counter proposal - add a module splitter unit.
  1. Comes in 3 variants (effectively trading capacity for versatility)
    1. C8 splitter allows two C6 modules to be fitted
    2. C6 splitter allows two C4 modules to be fitted
    3. C4 splitter allows two C2 modules to be fitted
  6. Splitter modules could be restricted to non-military modules
    1. No Hull Reinforcement class modules
    2. No Module Reinforcement class modules
  7. Nesting of splitters might be feasible but any detrimental effects (e.g. power drain) would be applied as an additive factor
    1. C6 nested in a C8 would assign 10% more power draw against the C6 and 20% more power draw against the modules fitted to the C6.
    2. C4 nested in a C6 nested in a C8 would add 30% more power draw against the modules fitted to the C4.

Some good ideas there, many of which I agree with.

However, I do feel that a 50% reduction in capacity is a bit much, not only that it is far more limiting in terms of what sizes can be converted to and from. Even if you were to add 7 -> 2x 5 then it would still have the limitation of never being able to convert between odd classes and even classes. My asymmetric suggestion gives far more flexibility both in terms of general design (as otherwise it's not just the number and size of slots, but you would need to factor in how many are odd vs how many are even) as well as to the player (they won't be bound to odd or even slots based on their ship). Hence my 25% reduction in volume suggestion, which resolves all of these issues.

Power requirements are good, adding in another variable to consider as well as giving engineering and/or experimental modules another variable to play with. The only worry would be in the cases where people place energyless modules in them, so maybe some kind of flat increase to energy requirements would be better.

I'd also suggest that they also take additional mass, which again could be either percentage or flat, with flat being preferred due to the abundance of massless modules.

Dealing with integrity is a tricky one, as there's plenty of modules that are untargetable/indestructible, such as cargo racks and fuel tanks (which are also massless and powerless).

Overall, it's pretty tricky to have a list of payload-dependent drawbacks that actually affects all modules roughly equally, so it would make more sense to have flat mass and energy costs for it as they affect everything ranging from cargo racks all the way through to SCBs equally while still giving enough balance levers.

Alternatively, if some kind of bonuses could be introduced at the cost of further volume inefficiency, then it could open up entirely new avenues of module flexibility and customisation. For example, a "protected module mount" could be added that coverts a slot to a size below but the splitter has to be reduced to 0 integrity before the module itself can be damaged. Or a "power conduit mount" could reduce its contained module (s) power consumption at the cost of module size without splitting anything.

Module splitters in restricted slots could simply inherit the limitations of their parent slot. Problem solved.

I disagree with removing military modules from them, as I said they should simply balance the scaling on military modules. If a class 5 was nearly twice the effectiveness of a class 4, then it wouldn't be an issue if people could put them in splitters as it would be more efficient to simply put the larger HRP/MRP into the slot in the first place. The issue I see is not one of power creep from larger amounts of tiny modules in a ship, the real issue I see that that many larger modules are terrible while many smaller modules are far too effective for their size. If a class 5D HRP offered 175% the resistance and integrity of a class 4D and about 3x a class 3D then nobody in their right mind would ever split a class 5 into a class 3 and a class 4 to try to get more survivability. This would also fix the issues with regards to extra class 1s breaking balance, at the moment an engineered 1D HRP adds a fair amount of EHP to a ship, but if they followed a properly exponential scaling of stats then a class 1 HRP would make very little difference to any combat-fit ship.

Nesting of splitters would be strongly discouraged by the inherent inefficiency of them, losing a significant amount of capacity every splitter. Moreso by whatever accumulating extra mass and power they might require.

Another tangentially related suggestion is to add a variety of engineering special effects for modules that allows them to function as module hybrids to pull double-duty (albeit quite poorly compared to using dedicated modules for the task). Such as a "high volume coolant reservoirs" special that allows a power-consuming module to function as a small fuel tank in addition to its normal task as , or a "two-way interference package" that allows an FSD to double up as an interdictor of 2 classes below.

However, I do feel that a 50% reduction in capacity is a bit much, not only that it is far more limiting in terms of what sizes can be converted to and from.
50% reduction seems about right to me, it is all about balance and taking into consideration how FD have balanced ships against each other. The fundamental premise is that any trade off by using a splitter module should not negate the choice offered by the current variety of ships IMO.

You could add more variants than the 3 I originally proposed - e.g.
  1. C7 splitter fitting 2 C5s
  2. C5 splitter fitting 2 C3s
  3. C3 splitter fitting 2 C1s
The overriding point is that the splitter I am proposing is targeted at adding balanced variety rather than aiming at normalising the variety between the ships, which is what having less than 50% capacity reduction would essentially result in IMO.

Top Bottom