General Gameplay Velociraptor Social Gene for Indominus rex

Your Feature Request / Idea
I love the fact that the Secrets of Dr. Wu DLC finally gave us a way to make our Indominus rex camouflage, but I still think the Indominus should be able to socialize with Velociraptors as well, which is why I'm proposing an optional Velociraptor Social Gene for the Indominus rex be added in a future update or DLC. Here's how I think it should work:

Much like the Adaptive Camouflage Gene, I think the Velociraptor Social Gene should only detract 5% from Viability, but could be located under the existing Social tab in the Indominus rex's gene modification menu.

When applied, the gene would not only give the Indominus the simple ability to perform the Socializing behavior with Velociraptors in its paddock, but would also make the Indominus be considered another Velociraptor by said raptors. This would cause the following differences in interaction between the two species:

1. The Indominus would count towards the Social count of the Velociraptors in its enclosure. Example: Assuming the Velociraptors don't possess any Social gene modifications, you could only comfortably keep 5 Velociraptors in the same enclosure as the Indominus since the Indominus would cause the Velociraptor Social limit to cap at 6.
2. The Indominus would be considered the Alpha member of the Velociraptor Social group as long as it is present in the same enclosure.
3. Due to its Alpha status, the Velociraptors would follow the Indominus' actions, such as Eating, Drinking, Sleeping, and attacking fences together when the Indominus is stressed.
4. If the Velociraptor Social cap is met, the raptors will have Territory disputes with the Alpha Indominus rex over control of the pack. If the Indominus is already the Alpha however, the raptor is simply scared away.
5. Most importantly, the Velociraptors will not Panic when around the Indominus rex as they usually would with an unmodified Indominus. If nothing else, this last point should definitely be implemented along with the actual Socializing behavior.

What if the raptor has a higher star rating? Would the Indominus be scared off?
In order to keep the same vibe as the Indominus leading the Raptor Pack in Jurassic World, I imagine the mechanic of Star Rating determining Alpha could be ignored in this instance. Designating an Indominus rex as the Alpha of a pack of Velociraptors would require special coding anyway. That's the way I personally see it working anyway.

In order to keep the same vibe as the Indominus leading the Raptor Pack in Jurassic World, I imagine the mechanic of Star Rating determining Alpha could be ignored in this instance. Designating an Indominus rex as the Alpha of a pack of Velociraptors would require special coding anyway. That's the way I personally see it working anyway.

I just want to see an Indominus get beaten up by a raptor thats all :D

I like it. However, I would suggest keeping the star rating mechanic in place. I would also suggest that it goes in the social slot rather than get it's own slot like the Camo gene: this will prevent an exploit of getting 6 perfectly happy Irexs, becasue the the gene allows the irex to count as a velo but it'll still see other irexes as violations of their social limit.

I really love this idea - definitely think the alpha relationship between indominus and the raptors is really important. So they function as one group, drink, hunt, sleep etc together.

I assume the Velociraptors will count towards the I. Rex's population requirement and not social? Because if the Raptors count towards social, you would only be able to house 1 I. Rex with a maximum of 3 Raptors.

I assume the Velociraptors will count towards the I. Rex's population requirement and not social? Because if the Raptors count towards social, you would only be able to house 1 I. Rex with a maximum of 3 Raptors.
The Indominus would count towards the Velociraptors' Social stat, but not the other way around. The Raptors would consider the Indominus rex as one of their own due to it being part Raptor, but the Indominus would not consider them as one of its own species. Like in the film, the Indominus would view the Raptors as "subordinates" rather than true equals. Also, since I'm proposing this as a modification in the Indominus rex's Social tab and the Indominus rex only has one Social tab available in its Genome Modificaion menu, you would have to choose between using this or one of the Social Group modifications. You would have to pick whether you wanted multiple Indominus rex or an Indominus rex that could comfortably live with a pack of Velociraptors. This could be circumvented with the use of Sandbox Settings however!

Last edited:
I like it. However, I would suggest keeping the star rating mechanic in place. I would also suggest that it goes in the social slot rather than get it's own slot like the Camo gene: this will prevent an exploit of getting 6 perfectly happy Irexs, becasue the the gene allows the irex to count as a velo but it'll still see other irexes as violations of their social limit.
I specifically said this modification should exist within the Social tab in my original post actually. I never said it should exist in its own tab like the Adaptive Camouflage Gene, although other Indominus rex wouldn't count towards the Indominus' Social stat anyway, as this modification would only make the Indominus rex count towards the Velociraptors' Social stats, not the other way around. The Indominus rex's Social stat would remain unchanged by this modification, as only other Indominus rex would affect it.

I have a better idea.

The introduction of new special genes are made through DLCs, and for the Indomunus rex specifically, the Adaptive Camouflage gene is introduced with a story driven narrative rather than throwing something new in without one, and because of how the Secrets of Dr. Wu is made, I doubt it would be expended for more extremely special new unlockable content, and I don't see any other possible major paid DLC doing something else for the Indominus rex.

There have already been a few new behaviors and behavior updates for certain dinosaurs in the past. Also, there is something in-game already which I did not expect to happen with any "Large Carnivore" species that could work put well for both the velociraptors and indominus rexes.

I've known already from a livestream months ago in the Jurassic World Evolution YouTube channel that goats are actually dinosaur entities, meaning they have a few dinosaur entity traits. One such trait is the "Socializing" behavior status mode, something that only default social needy species have. The only "Large Carnivore" type dinosaur that is social needy by default is the Spinoraptor.

When I made an experimental enclosure with the for in-game spinosaurs, all of which are "Large Carnivore" type species, to play around with their wetland needs and feeder preferences, I noticed something I totally didn't expect to happen with both a goat or any large carnivore.

First things first, goats are spooked by large carnivores if any are near by. However, when my spinoraptor got real close to a goat that wasn't running away from it, the spinoraptor literally began socializing with it! So despite the fact that goats are afraid of all large carnivores in-game, the spinoraptor can actually socialize with them at any given random chance!

Below is a Steam photo I took today to recreate with what I discovered a couple months ago. Here, I only have one spinoraptor in this test enclosure with territorial genes applied so I won't have any more socializing with each other.

In conclusion, I think the AI behavior for both the velociraptors and indominus rexes can be updated to be somewhat like the goats and spinoraptors in-game. Velociraptors would still be spooked by the indominus rex because it's a beast of a dinosaur, but the raptors and indominus would actually socialize in their "Socializing" behavior modes at any given random moment, with the indominus being given this new behavioral trait as a whole with new socializing animations and (if so) sounds.

Because of this, in a development point of view, the indominus rex would mean it would be able to socialize with others of their kind when they are all content.

Last edited:
I have a better idea.

The introduction of new special genes are made through DLCs, and for the Indomunus rex specifically, the Adaptive Camouflage gene is introduced with a story driven narrative rather than throwing something new in without one, and because of how the Secrets of Dr. Wu is made, I doubt it would be expended for more extremely special new unlockable content, and I don't see any other possible major paid DLC doing something else for the Indominus rex.

There have already been a few new behaviors and behavior updates for certain dinosaurs in the past. Also, there is something in-game already which I did not expect to happen with any "Large Carnivore" species that could work put well for both the velociraptors and indominus rexes.

I've known already from a livestream months ago in the Jurassic World Evolution YouTube channel that goats are actually dinosaur entities, meaning they have a few dinosaur entity traits. One such trait is the "Socializing" behavior status mode, something that only default social needy species have. The only "Large Carnivore" type dinosaur that is social needy by default is the Spinoraptor.

When I made an experimental enclosure with the for in-game spinosaurs, all of which are "Large Carnivore" type species, to play around with their wetland needs and feeder preferences, I noticed something I totally didn't expect to happen with both a goat or any large carnivore.

First things first, goats are spooked by large carnivores if any are near by. However, when my spinoraptor got real close to a goat that wasn't running away from it, the spinoraptor literally began socializing with it! So despite the fact that goats are afraid of all large carnivores in-game, the spinoraptor can actually socialize with them at any given random chance!

Below is a Steam photo I took today to recreate with what I discovered a couple months ago. Here, I only have one spinoraptor in this test enclosure with territorial genes applied so I won't have any more socializing with each other.
View attachment 142654

In conclusion, I think the AI behavior for both the velociraptors and indominus rexes can be updated to be somewhat like the goats and spinoraptors in-game. Velociraptors would still be spooked by the indominus rex because it's a beast of a dinosaur, but the raptors and indominus would actually socialize in their "Socializing" behavior modes at any given random moment, with the indominus being given this new behavioral trait as a whole with new socializing animations and (if so) sounds.

Because of this, in a development point of view, the indominus rex would mean it would be able to socialize with others of their kind when they are all content.
I assume this would be part of a paid DLC expansion, but it doesn't necessarily have to be, as far more complex (and more costly and time-consuming to develop) behaviors and animations have been given to us for completely free in the past (Fish Feeders and the associated animations, completely new unique kill animations, etc.).

Goats can actually Socialize with any Large Carnivore that possesses the Socializing behavior. It has nothing to do with the Spinoraptor having a default Social need of more than 1. Aside from the example you gave with the Spinoraptor, the Metriacanthosaurus is also capable of doing this, seeing as it is currently the only other Large Carnivore in the game programmed with the Socializing behavior. Besides, this clearly was not intended to be in the game, as other dinosaurs would be able to Socialize with Goats if it were.

I absolutely do not agree with the Indominus rex still scaring the Velociraptors, as it goes against the entire point of why I'm suggesting this. I don't just simply want the Indominus to be able to Socialize with Velociraptors. I want the Raptors to be able to consider the Indominus rex their pack Alpha, partake in pack behavior by following its actions, and be able to live comfortably together like what we saw for the limited time the Raptor Pack was under the Indominus' control in Jurassic World. All of this could be implemented pretty easily using the game's existing Alpha and Herding mechanics, with only a slight optional Gene Modification needed for the Indominus in order for it to trigger its Socialization (specifically with Velociraptors only) behavior and to "mask" its identity in order for Velociraptors to be able to consider the Hybrid as one of their own. This would prevent Panicking, as their AI would simply percieve the Indominus' presence as another Velociraptor instead of a Large Carnivore.

New animations wouldn't even be required for either species, as the Indominus could simply reuse the existing Large Carnivore Socialization animations that the Metriacanthosaurus already uses, and the Velociraptors would simply have to lock eyes with the Indominus by tilting their heads up to look at her, which they can already do. The only new thing that might be required is Socialization sound effects for the Indominus rex, though Frontier could get away with simply modifying the Indominus sound files they already have, or alternatively just pull them directly from Jurassic World.

I assume this would be part of a paid DLC expansion, but it doesn't necessarily have to be, as far more complex (and more costly and time-consuming to develop) behaviors and animations have been given to us for completely free in the past (Fish Feeders and the associated animations, completely new unique kill animations, etc.).

Goats can actually Socialize with any Large Carnivore that possesses the Socializing behavior. It has nothing to do with the Spinoraptor having a default Social need of more than 1. Aside from the example you gave with the Spinoraptor, the Metriacanthosaurus is also capable of doing this, seeing as it is currently the only other Large Carnivore in the game programmed with the Socializing behavior. Besides, this clearly was not intended to be in the game, as other dinosaurs would be able to Socialize with Goats if it were.

I absolutely do not agree with the Indominus rex still scaring the Velociraptors, as it goes against the entire point of why I'm suggesting this. I don't just simply want the Indominus to be able to Socialize with Velociraptors. I want the Raptors to be able to consider the Indominus rex their pack Alpha, partake in pack behavior by following its actions, and be able to live comfortably together like what we saw for the limited time the Raptor Pack was under the Indominus' control in Jurassic World. All of this could be implemented pretty easily using the game's existing Alpha and Herding mechanics, with only a slight optional Gene Modification needed for the Indominus in order for it to trigger its Socialization (specifically with Velociraptors only) behavior and to "mask" its identity in order for Velociraptors to be able to consider the Hybrid as one of their own. This would prevent Panicking, as their AI would simply percieve the Indominus' presence as another Velociraptor instead of a Large Carnivore.

New animations wouldn't even be required for either species, as the Indominus could simply reuse the existing Large Carnivore Socialization animations that the Metriacanthosaurus already uses, and the Velociraptors would simply have to lock eyes with the Indominus by tilting their heads up to look at her, which they can already do. The only new thing that might be required is Socialization sound effects for the Indominus rex, though Frontier could get away with simply modifying the Indominus sound files they already have, or alternatively just pull them directly from Jurassic World.
This. I completely agree!

This gene should also be added to the rest of the Velociraptor's DNA relatives such as the Indoraptor and Spinoraptor.
I really think this should be exclusive to the Indominus rex, as it is the only Hybrid we have evidence of displaying this behavior in the film canon. I suppose the Spinoraptor could have access to this, but I really don't see much of a point considering it's already a social animal, as well as already being extremely similar to the Velociraptor. I definitely do not think the Indoraptor should have this however.

I really think this should be exclusive to the Indominus rex, as it is the only Hybrid we have evidence of displaying this behavior in the film canon. I suppose the Spinoraptor could have access to this, but I really don't see much of a point considering it's already a social animal, as well as already being extremely similar to the Velociraptor. I definitely do not think the Indoraptor should have this however.
Of Course the Spinoraptor is a social animal but right now it can't socialize with it's DNA relatives. Also, the should have this trait and become a social animal. Imagine an Indominus rex, an Indoraptor, a Spinoraptor and a Velociraptor all peacefully living together in the same encloser. Also, imagine a pack of Indoraptors socializing with each other instead of roaring at each other and fighting.

Top Bottom