VIRPIL Throttle issues in Elite Dangerous

Hello CMDRS

Is anyone using VIRPIL hardware in ED? I'm having trouble with my throttle (MongoosT-50 CM3).
I have to push the throttle to about 80% before my speed starts to increase.
Also, I have to pull back to zero before my speed starts to decrease. There is no possibility of fine speed control with such exaggerated throttle movements
I've been working with the support guys at VIRPIL (great guys and great support) but we haven't been able to figure out why this is happening.

Has this happened to you?
Were you able to get the throttle working properly?
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help you may provide
KABOOM521

From the Main Menu

Options/Flight Throttle

Click on the Throttle Axis box and then move the Throttle through its range. It should register [Joy Z-Axis]

Test to see if you need to switch Regular/Inverted

HTH

If that's proper, then it's likely a calibration issue.

Last edited:
From the Main Menu

Options/Flight Throttle

Click on the Throttle Axis box and then move the Throttle through its range. It should register [Joy Z-Axis]

Test to see if you need to switch Regular/Inverted

HTH

If that's proper, then it's likely a calibration issue.

Hi GJ51. Thanks for your reply.
All ideas are welcome. I'm including screenshots of the Flight Throttle settings. This is what I get after assigning the throttle... RX Axis
1663498760714.png

And this is what I get when assigning the rudder pedals... Z Axis
1663499161921.png

As requested by VPC Support, I've recalibrated many times, each with a slight change. As a last ditch effort, Virpil Support guy will remotely connect to verify my calibration is clean. But I'm running out of hope. I've used their utility and looked at the raw data. I believe the throttle is working exactly as designed. That leaves the link between ED game & VPC throttle.

All ideas are welcome. Thanks
KABOOM521

You've entered the settings in the incremental section for use with keys. Delete the Increase and decrease throttle inputs to the right of [W] and .

Then click the box at top left of the section directly across from "Throttle Axis" just to the left of "Regular" and move the throttle to read the axis into the control box.

If your throttle is moving opposite of what it should then change "Regular" to "Inverted"

Essentially - you are using an analog input device but are setting it into incremental (digital) input sections.

Hell effect sensors are analogue inputs and should be enters in the boxes that are looking for it. The same will apply to your joystick and rudder pedals.

That should fix it.

It also looks like you made the settings with the two throttles still joined together. Unjoin them and make the setting with only one of them - once you have made the setting you can join them together again.

It also looks like you made the settings with the two throttles still joined together. Unjoin them and make the setting with only one of them - once you have made the setting you can join them together again.
I was wondering about that, but I don't have a Virpil throttle so didn't know what caused that but I did notice it.

Thanks for the clarification.

OP should be good with what we've provided, I hope.

You've entered the settings in the incremental section for use with keys. Delete the Increase and decrease throttle inputs to the right of [W] and .

Then click the box at top left of the section directly across from "Throttle Axis" just to the left of "Regular" and move the throttle to read the axis into the control box.

If your throttle is moving opposite of what it should then change "Regular" to "Inverted"

Essentially - you are using an analog input device but are setting it into incremental (digital) input sections.

Hell effect sensors are analogue inputs and should be enters in the boxes that are looking for it. The same will apply to your joystick and rudder pedals.

That should fix it.

Hello CMDRs,

I can't thank you all enough (special thanks to CMDR GJ51 & Bravo17) for the detailed responses that helped solve my throttle issue.

I followed the advice for the throttle and it worked immediately. Logically, I applied the same solution to my stick axis and rudder axis (also configured incorrectly) and it solved a problem with them I didn't know I had. The stick and rudders were performing feebly but working. A few inverted changes later and I'm ready to assign my buttons.

Wow, it feels amazing to be using a full functioning HOTAS again.
You guys and girls are great. The Frontier Forum members solve another one!
Thank you
KABOOM521

Hello CMDRS

Is anyone using VIRPIL hardware in ED? I'm having trouble with my throttle (MongoosT-50 CM3).
I have to push the throttle to about 80% before my speed starts to increase.
Also, I have to pull back to zero before my speed starts to decrease. There is no possibility of fine speed control with such exaggerated throttle movements
I've been working with the support guys at VIRPIL (great guys and great support) but we haven't been able to figure out why this is happening.

Has this happened to you?
Were you able to get the throttle working properly?
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help you may provide
KABOOM521
Are you using VJoy and Joystick Gremlin to get around limitations of ED 32 Button limit? I’m using CM3 Throttle with SpaceSim Detent (forward to go forward, Mid point Zero, back to reverse) I’ve also set my Software Profile to recognise mid point on the throttles as Zero/at rest.

If you’re using VJoy & Joystick Gremlin and you can read .Binds File I’m happy to send you mine for a look see.

Hi CMDR FatzDomingo, thanks for the help.
When I first opened the ticket with VIRPIL, they asked if I was using Joystick Gremlin. I wasn't because the VIRPIL software has a box to check for more than 32 buttons. It sets up the phantom devices for you, so I didn't need to mess with that. Now that I understand how the axis assignment works, I think I have it set up correctly. My throttle curve (not really a curve) axis is set to Zero all the way back and full forward is 100%. I rarely need to fly in reverse and it seems the longer range gives you more fine control over your speed. Time will tell if that's a good choice :p
Throttle, stick, and rudders are performing flawlessly now. The next step is deciding which functions I want assigned to which buttons.
Thanks to you and the community for reading my post and solving my issue.

I'll see all of you IN SPACE!
KABOOM521

Unfortunately does not (or didn't) do virpil controllers.
Just checked and although lists VPC ALpha, it isnt mapping fromy binds file :-(
It doesnt have CM3 on the supported list either.
I have used in the past for warthog and logitech setups. it is a great tool :)

Last edited:
@KABOOM521
Just finished my Virpil Controls Mapping Diagram if it is any help.

I forget what i have assigned where so useful to pin it up next to my head or display on another monitor.

It has only taken a couple of Years :-D

Pom
Hey Pom... love the diagram! It will help every commander remember which button performs which function.
Fly safe

@KABOOM521
Just finished my Virpil Controls Mapping Diagram if it is any help.

I forget what i have assigned where so useful to pin it up next to my head or display on another monitor.

It has only taken a couple of Years :-D

Pom
Hello CMDR whinjinpom (Pom)

My Apologies. I'm only 2 years late with a thank you! I downloaded your .pdf file and it was very helpful. I will be using many of the setting you show.

Buttons on my VIRPIL throttle began misfiring or died and I sent it in for warranty repair. I'm throttle-less for a while... just when the Humans are in conflict with the Titans. How sad for me. I won't get any of the badges or stickers for helping defeat the TITANS.

In the process of trouble-shooting my button problem, I lost the configuration. OUCH! Not sure what I did wrong but the settings are definitely lost. My stick wasn't responding so I decided to revisit this thread for the solution discovered in
2022. I'll used your .pdf again when I get my throttle back.

Thanks Pom, and all the CMDRs that assisted me 2years ago.

KABOOM521

Back
Top Bottom