Vive pro vs odyssey +

I’ve never tried the vive pro... it’s one of the few headsets I don’t own because the cost of it was abhorrent and I couldn’t justify it when the Odyssey and Odyessy + was so much cheaper with the same res.

Getting things into Saudi is a major PITA and there are now import taxes to take into consideration, so you can always add another couple of hundred quid to your final cost!

Imagine my surprise then when I walk into Virgin yesterday and see them selling two vive pro boxes for 3299 SAR each (679£).

To be honest I don’t know what they are thinking, as the box doesn’t come with the sensors or wands as far as I am aware so I’m not sure who they would sell them to??? Not many Saudis own the vive and so wouldn’t have the bits to actually get it working. I do though and so am tempted!

It’s almost a decent price point... seems to be around 800£ in UK.

Anyone prefer the pro over the Odyssey?

Stephen

A few things I can tell you about the Pro.

GearVR lens mod is essential. The stock Fresnels are the worst lenses I have used in any HMD. Tiny sweet spot and intolerable god rays.

With the GearVR lenses it will blow you away. The image is uniformly sharp all the way across the field, there are zero god rays and the transparency is stunning. Depth of field feels truly 3D, everything pops out at you. Only negative is the field of view is reduced from 110 to about 100 degrees - noticeable but very low impact on balance with all the positives.

All of this is however contingent on the distortion profile working for you - i use the default firmware one and it is nearly perfect. There is a tool available called steamvr-undistort that enables you to modify and upload distortion profiles to the firmware.

The mod is straightforward and well documented. Kits are available from eBay containing the 3D printed adapters and GearVR lenses.

The headset itself is comfy, like super comfy. The ergonomics are outstanding.

It works seamlessly with the Lighthouses and roomscale tracking is spot on (my 5k plus works well with them but has all sorts of odd moments). You get the true benefit of the hardware/software partnership from HTC/Valve.

I ponied up the full 1300 quid for it and have no regrets at all. For Elite it is a killer HMD.

Last edited:
My point is odyssey+ is 449$. Vive pro (full) is 1400. Unless money is out of question there is nothing really to discuss.

A few things I can tell you about the Pro.

GearVR lens mod is essential. The stock Fresnels are the worst lenses I have used in any HMD. Tiny sweet spot and intolerable god rays.

With the GearVR lenses it will blow you away. The image is uniformly sharp all the way across the field, there are zero god rays and the transparency is stunning. Depth of field feels truly 3D, everything pops out at you. Only negative is the field of view is reduced from 110 to about 100 degrees - noticeable but very low impact on balance with all the positives.

All of this is however contingent on the distortion profile working for you - i use the default firmware one and it is nearly perfect. There is a tool available called steamvr-undistort that enables you to modify and upload distortion profiles to the firmware.

The mod is straightforward and well documented. Kits are available from eBay containing the 3D printed adapters and GearVR lenses.

The headset itself is comfy, like super comfy. The ergonomics are outstanding.

It works seamlessly with the Lighthouses and roomscale tracking is spot on (my 5k plus works well with them but has all sorts of odd moments). You get the true benefit of the hardware/software partnership from HTC/Valve.

I ponied up the full 1300 quid for it and have no regrets at all. For Elite it is a killer HMD.

Fully agree with everything you wrote here but shame that Pro FOV is not 25~30 degree wider..

REP

Last edited:
Hi HG, i just ebay'd the lenses and looking forward to flipping not fresnels anything but fresnels.. but it takes starting from the DK2 (non fresnel) to know what glass lenses do for VR!

Hi HG, i just ebay'd the lenses and looking forward to flipping not fresnels anything but fresnels.. but it takes starting from the DK2 (non fresnel) to know what glass lenses do for VR!

My friend got a PSVR recently. The non-fresnel lenses in it are stunning. Massive sweetspot, and no god rays at all. Really impressed with it.

Yeah so true. The first time i used the CV1 in Elite i was pretty shocked at the god rays and immediately wanted to go back to my DK2 !!!

With the Rift you eventually tuned them out - you didnt have a choice lol.

The fresnels in my 5k+ are a big improvement, the rays are almost non existent. Problem is they lack the awesome transparency you get with aspherics and that for me is the big difference.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom