VR Current Performance - 4.0.0500

Here's my findings on my system. TL;DR -- pretty much no change from my previous testing. When I said on foot, I mean the virtual pancake thing.

i9-7900X
32GB RAM
RTX2080 FE
Oculus S (experimental 120Hz on)

In Space: solid 60 fps
FC Hangar: 35 to 52 fps
Small Station:
Inside: 45 fps
On Foot in Hangar: 60 fps
On Foot in concourse: 60 but occasional drop to 30

Coriolis:
inside: 30 fps mostly, sometimes to 45 fps
On foot in hangar: 60 fps
On foot in concourse: 45 fps when not seeing the outside. When seeing outside of concourse, i.e. seeing inside of the station 30fps

Planet:
Approach: 60 fps, occasional drop to 30 fps
Glide: 15 to 30
Disembarked: dizzying 30 fps mostly... occasional drop to 22 fps... didn't even bother trying to shoot or go inside buildings. It's unplayable.

I played around this morning, mostly just to try different in-game settings. In Horizons I ran a mix of High for most, medium for some and the usual stuff switched off for VR. I had my HMD setting at 1.5 because it made everything beautiful and took a wee hit on performance ( I think I’ve got a high tolerance for fps being lower than ideal.)

i9 9900ks, RTX 2080Ti, 32Gb Ram DDR4 and a 500Gb NMvE thingy for game storage.

I thought I’d start with everything on medium, set the new sharpening thing to max and drop the HMD down to 1.0.

Eurk.

Then HMD to 1.25, no noticeable difference to be honest. Then cranked the in-game settings up to High and tried HMD at 1.0, 1.25 and 1.5. I found the new sharpening thing (sorry for my lack of techie knowledge) was a double edged sword. Too much and it’s truly awful, just a bit and it can help quite a bit. I’m currently with settings at medium, HMD at 1.5 and the new thing at just under half. I’m getting 80ish fps in space, 70 as I approach a station and a drop to 45ish (it’s variable) inside the station. It looks okay to my eyes and runs well enough for me but I may yet take it down to 1.25 for the HMD and put up with slight fuzziness on the text on ships systems as the rest of the graphics seem ok at those settings and see what effect, both in fps and visually, adjusting the in game settings a little higher does. Tested with fpsVR. I did notice my GPU is now running at 98% and everything seems to be working more as you’d expect in VR, which it wasn’t before.

I‘ve no intention of attempting foot stuff in VR so as long as I can play Horizons-style in Odyssey without feeling ill or grumpy at the graphics I’ll be ok. Boosting around some mountain peaks whilst testing my new rudder pedals everything seemed smooth and relatively pretty, although even with LoD at max and whatever the other one is that affects pop-in …. there was quite a bit of it.

All in all, better than I expected at this stage but hopefully there will be more to come eventually. If I’m honest though, I’m going to miss the ease of Horizons when it’s gone.

I played around this morning, mostly just to try different in-game settings. In Horizons I ran a mix of High for most, medium for some and the usual stuff switched off for VR. I had my HMD setting at 1.5 because it made everything beautiful and took a wee hit on performance ( I think I’ve got a high tolerance for fps being lower than ideal.)

i9 9900ks, RTX 2080Ti, 32Gb Ram DDR4 and a 500Gb NMvE thingy for game storage.

I thought I’d start with everything on medium, set the new sharpening thing to max and drop the HMD down to 1.0.

Eurk.

Then HMD to 1.25, no noticeable difference to be honest. Then cranked the in-game settings up to High and tried HMD at 1.0, 1.25 and 1.5. I found the new sharpening thing (sorry for my lack of techie knowledge) was a double edged sword. Too much and it’s truly awful, just a bit and it can help quite a bit. I’m currently with settings at medium, HMD at 1.5 and the new thing at just under half. I’m getting 80ish fps in space, 70 as I approach a station and a drop to 45ish (it’s variable) inside the station. It looks okay to my eyes and runs well enough for me but I may yet take it down to 1.25 for the HMD and put up with slight fuzziness on the text on ships systems as the rest of the graphics seem ok at those settings and see what effect, both in fps and visually, adjusting the in game settings a little higher does. Tested with fpsVR. I did notice my GPU is now running at 98% and everything seems to be working more as you’d expect in VR, which it wasn’t before.

I‘ve no intention of attempting foot stuff in VR so as long as I can play Horizons-style in Odyssey without feeling ill or grumpy at the graphics I’ll be ok. Boosting around some mountain peaks whilst testing my new rudder pedals everything seemed smooth and relatively pretty, although even with LoD at max and whatever the other one is that affects pop-in …. there was quite a bit of it.

All in all, better than I expected at this stage but hopefully there will be more to come eventually. If I’m honest though, I’m going to miss the ease of Horizons when it’s gone.
What's your HMD?

How do you measure fps in VR?

For Oculus devices, the preferable thing is the Oculus Debug Tool which can be configured to display framerates and other parameters (performance overhead and such) right inside the HMD. The tool also records detailed statistics about nearly all aspects of the VR performance. Unfortunately, a VR performance overhead of -200% in dark space is not overly promising.

O7,
🙃

This is my personal reminder to have a look at the performance of my Oculus Rift after dinner tonight, before I crack open some beers. Then depending on the performance I might crack open some more to drown my sorrows or celebrate.

CPU: AMD 5600X
GPU: GTX 1080
RAM: 32GB
HMD: Oculus Rift
Horizons Settings: VR Ultra

Well...the rum's coming out to play (unlike me in VR apparently J/K!)

So I've only tested A B (Horizons to Odyssey) over and on one planet and at a single station to be fair to both versions

Star System: HIP 68547
Body: HIP 68547 A 3 a
Station: Anthony Horizons

Docked:

Horizons Odyssey
HMD Hz: 45 ~35-40
Overhead: (-20% - 0%) (-120% - -80%)
Settings: VR Ultra

Dropping the settings down to VR Medium, in Odyssey I was still getting worse performance than in Horizons

In space above planet:

Horizons Odyssey
HMD Hz: 90 45-90
Overhead: (20% - 35%) (-80% - -50%)
Settings: VR Ultra

I didn't try lowering the settings in space, as I found them playable but could definitely tweak them to to my liking very easily and know that there wouldn't be any problems.

I'm going to try to tinker with the setting some more, as I really do want to give Odyssey a fair shot and I want to try and find an acceptable balance of performance and "shiny", but I was hoping not to have to mess around too much.

Last edited:
I'll try your settings later as a baseline - I've nearly the same system (tad lower with a 2080 non TI), thanks for sharing :)
I don't know how much difference it actually makes but people always seem to mention it when talking about VR performance; my PC was bought for my work (I'm a photographer) but I've ended up continuing to edit on my other PC so this one literally has Steam, ED, MSFS 2020 and AMS2 on it (plus the little bits and bobs like EDMC.) It may well make little difference but thought I'd better mention it.

I don't know how much difference it actually makes but people always seem to mention it when talking about VR performance; my PC was bought for my work (I'm a photographer) but I've ended up continuing to edit on my other PC so this one literally has Steam, ED, MSFS 2020 and AMS2 on it (plus the little bits and bobs like EDMC.) It may well make little difference but thought I'd better mention it.
I built my sys more or less specifically for my old Rift. As you can see in my results earlier in this thread, I reach nearly playable results in Ultra but with Supersampling at .85.
I'M going to try to lower my Ambient Occlusion and shadow settings first but good to see that the high presets could even run at SS 1.0 maybe.

Funnily I have less problems with nausea or headaches on the G2 if it dips to lower frames than with the old Rift of mine. The higher resolution seems to do it for me :) So playable in my case is somewhere around a stable 45 fps rate which I only don't get in space atm.

The only change I made to my settings is to turn on FSR 1.0.

Here's my findings on my system. TL;DR -- pretty much no change from my previous testing. When I said on foot, I mean the virtual pancake thing.

i9-7900X
32GB RAM
RTX2080 FE
Oculus S (experimental 120Hz on)

FC Hangar: 35 to 52 fps
Small Station:

Coriolis:
inside: 30 fps mostly, sometimes to 45 fps
On foot in concourse: 45 fps when not seeing the outside. When seeing outside of concourse, i.e. seeing inside of the station 30fps

Planet:
Disembarked: dizzying 30 fps mostly... occasional drop to 22 fps... didn't even bother trying to shoot or go inside buildings. It's unplayable.

First of all... everything looks a bit fuzzy... like a bit out of focus... text is harder to read... and the edge shimmering is far worse than before.

FC Hangar: 41 to 60 fps (when the door was closing, it undulate from 41 to 60 fps like a sin wave, but once the door is fully closed, it's a solid 60 fps).
Small Station: Did not test

Coriolis:
inside: solid 30 fps
on ship inside hangar: 31 to 45 (undulating like a sin wave)
On foot in concourse: 45 to 60 fps when not seeing the outside (mostly 60). When seeing outside of concourse, i.e. seeing inside of the station 30 to 45 fps

Planet:
Disembarked: dizzying solid 30 fps mostly... DOES NOT drop to 22 fps... it maybe playable, but I didn't bother. However, I have to say it's a slight improvement. But it's still not really playable.

First of all... everything looks a bit fuzzy... like a bit out of focus... text is harder to read... and the edge shimmering is far worse than before.

FC Hangar: 41 to 60 fps (when the door was closing, it undulate from 41 to 60 fps like a sin wave, but once the door is fully closed, it's a solid 60 fps).

Coriolis:
On foot in concourse: 45 to 60 fps when not seeing the outside (mostly 60). When seeing outside of concourse, i.e. seeing inside of the station 30 to 45 fps

Planet:
Disembarked: dizzying solid 30 fps mostly... DOES NOT drop to 22 fps... it maybe playable, but I didn't bother. However, I have to say it's a slight improvement. But it's still not really playable.
I'll try and update my original figures this weekend. Hopefully there will be a big improvement.
Sadly, it sounds like we have a 'smudgy' screen when in the Pancake mode, I'll see / report back.
For this who have already experienced it, please check Ariochs VRbugs thread, I think he has this covered - so please pop over and vote for the bug.

Coriolis:

Planet:
With FSR 1.0 on, what did you set the quality to, there are a few options (although you can't select Balanced at the minute !)

I have been having good results with FSR on quality and upping my hmd res to 1.5, burka mode is bugged so thats no help but overall im seeing a good improvement in both fidelity and smoothness

After reading your and av's posts, I reluctantly dropped my HMD and SS to 0.85 - I then enabled the AMD image sharpening.
I've gone from 40FPS to a steady 80 FPS on planets !!!!!

the image quality isn't quite as good as my usual setting of 1.0, but the AMD FX makes a notable difference at these settings, over the 'Normal' setting.

I'm slightly disappointed with having to drop HMD / SS - but really pleased I now have steady 80FPS, even with a slight loss of quality.

Thanks to all above.
Tomorrow, I'll try and re-do my FPS comparison with the very first post, but with these settings, and see how we go.

Just to be clear dropping to 0.85 is where the gain comes from, but the AMD FX, does improve image quality to compensate for it!

Back to VR :)

EDIT: the downside of the above solution is that text is not of great quality on dashboard etc, even with AMD FX. It's very aliased / blurry. :(
General look around planets etc is great though
In reply to myself, I've just had several hours trying out Update 6 and FSR.

The upshot is :-
Without FSR - no real change in FPS - a few improvements in station near 'some' glass objects, but not all, and still poor !?

With FSR: you can get better frame rates, with only a slight drop in quality.
In stations / settlements, again, you can increase frames with FSR, but the mission giver text is very hard to read, plus framerate is still iffy. It dropped to 35 / 25 at one settlement, and noticeably juddered.

FSR will at Quality Ultra, and HMD @ 1.0 - give me a similar image quality to SS and HMD @ 0.85, but with a few additional frames. The obvious problem is still the text.
Oh and the pancake in station mode doesn't have the FSR applied - so is very blurry / low res - !
If you're happy with badly aliased text, and need more frames, then give FSR a go.

At the minute I'm pretty fed up with it all. I love odyssey! - In none VR - it looks great, and I can get enough frames out of it to be playable in bases; in space / landing / on planets I don't have a problem.

Summary:
FSR may help you if you are struggling with frames - but be prepared for very hard to read text, and don't expect miracles in stations / some settlements - the frame rate there is still iffy / rubbish at times.

Oh well here's to update 7 !

Last edited:
Oh and the pancake in station mode doesn't have the FSR applied - so is very blurry / low res - !

I do believe the grey burkha/pancake mode is based on the display resolution set in game settings, the same that determines the resolution of the desktop mirror window when playing in VR.

I do believe the grey burkha/pancake mode is based on the display resolution set in game settings, the same that determines the resolution of the desktop mirror window when playing in VR.
The virtual flatscreen HUD is changed by altering the mirror screen resolution setting, but not the actual game resolution - that I can see, anyway.

There is a bug report for it, in case anyone wishes to contribute: https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/40653 👍

Top Bottom