VR gameplay on the Epic Games launcher

I'm having trouble playing elite dangerous in VR on the epic games launcher. I just recently got it for free from the epic games store and was trying to play in VR but it never launches in VR, it just launches the game normally. Has anyone else been having any issues like this?

Make sure you have your VR software opened and ready, so Oculus home etc... In the Epic launcher, find Elite Dangerous, click on the ellipse (...) and select launch in VR. If you don't select launch in VR it loads as a normal game.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: sc7
Are you using an Oculus or SteamVR headset?
If using Oculus Quest (with link cable):
1. Turn on the headset, Now plug in the link cable. Allow link cable access, You'll now be in Oculus home.
2. Trigger/click & open the desktop icon.
3. Now open the Epic launcher & go to your Epic library. Trigger/click on Elite Dangerous. The Frontier launcher will open. Trigger/click the blue play button. It can take a while to load. If your controls don't appear to work it's because ED won't see input if its window is not in primary focus. (The Oculus PC app often steals this). Just Alt TAB until ED is in focus again.
If using Oculus Quest with Virtual Desktop: Turn on the headset, open Virtual Desktop, link to your PC, continue with step 3 above.
If using an Oculus Rift. Turn on the headset & start from 2.
If using an Index, Vive, Reverb, etc, (or any SteamVR headset). Use the desktop function within SteamVR to navigate to the Epic launcher & continue from step 3. In short, you have to start the Epic launcher while 'in' VR. Steam is so much better at this than Epic.

Last edited:
Make sure you have your VR software opened and ready, so Oculus home etc... In the Epic launcher, find Elite Dangerous, click on the ellipse (...) and select launch in VR. If you don't select launch in VR it loads as a normal game.
Only Steam gives the option to launch in VR. Epic doesn't. (edit: actually Epic does, in the epic library left-click the 3 dots).

Last edited:
I was also able to launch in VR using the three dots in epic games launcher. Is there a way to create a shortcut or command line setting to do the same process?

I’m getting an error message that says “Object Reference not set to an instance of an object”. Anyone know a fix? I get this error message before the game even opens so I can’t just click out of it.

I’m getting an error message that says “Object Reference not set to an instance of an object”. Anyone know a fix? I get this error message before the game even opens so I can’t just click out of it.
It’s a .NET error - try this solution provided by Frontier support (the file location might be different for Epic installs, I’ll try to find it later) though it is old info:

“I am sorry to know that you have experienced this issue! This is often related to .NET I'm afraid. You should be able to circumvent the issue by running through the following:

On C:\Program Files (x86)\Frontier\EDLaunch you should find a file named EDLaunch.exe.config.

For Steam installs, it should be here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Elite Dangerous
· Firstly, make a backup of this file by copying it to another location, such as your desktop.

· Open the EDLaunch.exe.config file with a text editor such as Notepad. You'll see something similar to:

<supportedRuntime version="v2.0.50727"/ >
<supportedRuntime version="v4.0"/ >

Switch the lines, so they look like this:

<supportedRuntime version="v4.0"/ >
<supportedRuntime version="v2.0.50727"/ >

Once you have done this, save the file and attempt to start up the launcher. If it's still not working you can just replace the file with the backup you created.”

Edit: I’ve just looked at my Epic install - the file is in the EliteDangerous folder wherever Epic installed it. My file says <supportedRuntime version=“4.0” sku=“.NETFramework,Version=v4.5.2/>

Last edited:
I was able to launch the game in VR using the three dots on the epic games launcher. Thanks you!

I was also able to launch in VR using the three dots in epic games launcher. Is there a way to create a shortcut or command line setting to do the same process?

Can you walk me through how exactly you did this?

I have Oculus Quest 2. I put it on, and tap the "Virtual Desktop" button. Then I go to the EGS launcher, go to library, and select "Launch in VR."

But when it loads, the game just stays in the Virtual Desktop. It never becomes VR.

If I go to the game options, there is no headset or VR option in the 3D settings either...

Can you walk me through how exactly you did this?

I have Oculus Quest 2. I put it on, and tap the "Virtual Desktop" button. Then I go to the EGS launcher, go to library, and select "Launch in VR."

But when it loads, the game just stays in the Virtual Desktop. It never becomes VR.

If I go to the game options, there is no headset or VR option in the 3D settings either...
I'm having the same problem. I'm running an i5-4690K 4 core @ 3.5Ghz and a 6gb GTX 1060. this is the only thing I've tried in VR so far

Hi. I can’t say I’ve had the same problem, but make sure you have steam VR installed and working (steamVR gets loaded even though you are launching via epic). I’d also recommend you close the epic launcher, and then start it again with a right click run as administrator, then try the launch in VR again.

Hi. I can’t say I’ve had the same problem, but make sure you have steam VR installed and working (steamVR gets loaded even though you are launching via epic). I’d also recommend you close the epic launcher, and then start it again with a right click run as administrator, then try the launch in VR again.
running in admin mode fixed it. you rock!

Top Bottom