We want more microtransactions - Not satire, hear me out.

Long time player, first post (i think, cant remember)

With the increase in ARX cost of multiple items etc this has come up as a topic in general discussion within player circles I fly with.
Feedback from a majority of the people I spoke with (and myself included) is that currently the idea of "Packs" are preventing us from spilling hard earned AUD dollars into the game.

The suggestion is to move towards a more micro transactional based system (Very successful in other games) where instead of buying a whole ship kit for a spinny boi dish, we can just by that specific component.
It could be made that the whole pack is cheaper than the sum of its parts, but by splitting packs up into smaller chunks, at least myself would be willing to purchase specific components as desired.

Currently im not touching packs for a single wing or paint job, its cost prohibitive and doesnt make sense, others may be in the same boat.
As a long time player since 3302, i want this game to live on, i want to give fdev money. But i also want money i spend to be a smart purchase and spending arguably big dollars for cosmetic kits so i can use 1-2% of it isnt a smart purchase in the current economic climate.

Keen to hear other peoples thoughts on the matter, maybe even a list of items you would buy if they were not included in a giant expensive pack?
a sliver of my wishlist is as follows:
DBX solar panels (from the surveyor pack)
Python Hazard wings (Hazard kit)
Python spinny boi dish ( from the surveyor pack)
FDL fins for the back
one of the corrosion paint jobs (to get that mad firefly-esq feel)
so on and so forth.

Sure, why not. Although at the moment I would be surprised if each component didn't cost considerably more than the equivalent cost if you'd have bought it as part of the pack.

It puzzles me long time now why they don't split those out. I wanted the letter "P" today and paid prem to totally clutter my cockpit accessory holdings. I can think of clever applications for my new spelling power, but dashboard space is a little bit at a premium. I have a cactus and aloe to think of too

Won't somebody think of the succulents?

I think splitting out most packs would be 100% super dope for all concerned. The pack could give a discount over buyin them all separately perhaps, if the CMDR was ready to go whole hog

If you wait long enough, eventually the packs will get so expensive that the cost of a single part will work out to be the cost of what the entire pack goes for now. So you might as well buy them now. :ROFLMAO:
I know, and I am fine with that :) it will leave a little bit of incentive to buy the whole pack if you want to save on all the parts, but for those that don't care for a bunch of the items in a pack, then they will pay a little bit more.
I like math, so lets math :LOL:

The "Survey pack" for a DBX is 16,800 arx.

It comes with 3 ship pieces, and 6 paint jobs.

lets say the paint jobs are half the price, and the pieces are the other half of the price.
8400 for the ship pieces, divide that for each piece and its 2800 arx.

Thats just splitting the total pack cost though. so lets say a piece from the kit is 3500 arx.
I would happily pay 3500 arx for just the solar antenna array that sits on top of the DBX.

Lets put ARX to real life dollary doo's, to do this im going to use the 5000 arx / $2.99 teabag dollars as an example (no bonus, leaving clean data)

5000 / $2.99 means every GBP dollar is worth 1672 ARX rounded down, we can use this to come up with a raw value ignoring bonuses from the higher arx tiers.

Raw value of the surveyor kit
16800 / 1672 = $10.04 GBP

Raw value of a hypothetical solar array for the dbx
3500 / 1672 = $2.09 GBP

Heck id even bump it to 4000 arx if it meant i didnt have to buy the whole kit.

Moving forward the point is that allowing people to spend money on the game in smaller bite sized chunks has been seen to generate more income in the long run with other games, mayhap elite dangerous could take advantage of that too. :)

Thank you for coming to my TED talk. o7

Love / Hate this Idea you see when the item I want is part of a pack of 28 items 27 of which I really have no use for I AM A ROCK you will not get my money FDEV,
buuuut you break that stuff up so I can buy them one at a time that little voice will be all "dude just do it, it's less than a coffee... it'll look cool -fading wispher- Do Ittttt ... you know you want tooo"
So yeah give me micro transactions I'll totally be able to resist ... maybe

and why not return (for ARX) the rare and unique paintjobs like the wireframe gold and silver or the true shiny gold like we got for short time in the Cutter/few other shi
I know League of Legends is not everyone's cup of tea, but they did this concept well when they reworked prestige skins in 2022.
they rereleased skins that were originally very rare and exclusive, but to ensure the people who earned them back in the day in game weren't disadvantaged they gave them a variant that was only available to those who grinded away at the game to get the skin originally.

They could release a newer variant of the Wireframe gold and silver paint jobs etc, or create a unique variant given to CMDRs who originally bought the paint job back when it was exclusive.

just some ideas.

Top Bottom