What card and what VR headgear for best ED experience?

What card and what VR headgear for best ED experience?

What are you using for VR headgear and card? Are you happy and with it?

(wrote a simular question in the PC forum but I think this is the correct place)
(serious question... I want to buy a VR set myself but I dont what to buy a set that gives crappy ED experience and also is too expensive.. not top not bottom price range)

Knowing your existing system specs would help, and what sort of budget you have for headset & graphics card.

I started my VR a few years back with a Rift CV1, i5 4670k & GTX 1060 6GB, and now I’m using a Rift S, i7 8700 & GTX 1080. I also tried the Oculus Quest using Link. Elite in VR is sublime 🙂

Knowing your existing system specs would help, and what sort of budget you have for headset & graphics card.

I started my VR a few years back with a Rift CV1, i5 4670k & GTX 1060 6GB, and now I’m using a Rift S, i7 8700 & GTX 1080. I also tried the Oculus Quest using Link. Elite in VR is sublime 🙂

Buying a new system and also VR headgear

Check out the YouTube videos of the HP G2, it's the new kid on the block and gets good reviews. I have pre-ordered one.
The new AMD CPUs get good reviews too.
As for the GPU it is best to wait for the new AMD cards to be released (next week) and reviewed and see how they stack up against the Nvidia cards.
Hope this helps.

What Dooguk said. Other headsets are good but if ( and I stress 'if' ) clarity is king for you, like it is for me, then the Reverb is the only choice. It just ruins the rest of the headsets for visual quality - it's 'that' good. Also, unlike the Quest/Rift etc, it's not proprietary, it's built for Windows 10 so you don't need any special 3rd party ecosystem. Also, it officially supports Steam and, unofficially, supports Oculus titles. Also, some of the stuff that you have to plugin for other headsets, e.g. embedded Apps, is natively supported in Win 10 VR ( Windows Mixed Reality - WMR ) so you can just paste windows into VR sessions without buying Steam apps. Also there's no special software install to get started, just plug-in your Windows compliant headset and you're good to go. Also, Microsoft have also tweaked Win 10 tools, e.g. the browser to work seamlessly in WMR mode. Also, you don't have to spend ARX to put a plant pot in your cockpit, Windows WMR will let you stuff things into the display anyway. I flew for awhile with a small tree next to me.

Oculus is the father of the tech but Microsoft is the daddy.... oh look, my shares are going up again.

Last edited:
Up till now I've been playing on a Rift CV1 with a GTX1080. Has been fine for the two or three years I've been using it and runs current ED including Horizons at high settings.

Have pre-ordered the Reverb G2, and will be upgrading the graphics to a 3070 or possibly 3080 (the PC is getting a bit old, as are my eyes, and I suspect the 3070 will be just fine, but the 3080 would obviously be better and only $200 more). Not really been playing ED much recently, and went for the Reverb G2 for MSFS 2020 as much as ED, but will be happy flying and driving in Odyssey in VR too, I'm sure.

Craith

Volunteer Moderator
I have an Valve Index with a RTX2080 Super. I am happy with its quality and performance, but more power would allow me to crank the settings up a more.

Up till now I've been playing on a Rift CV1 with a GTX1080. Has been fine for the two or three years I've been using it and runs current ED including Horizons at high settings.

Have pre-ordered the Reverb G2, and will be upgrading the graphics to a 3070 or possibly 3080 (the PC is getting a bit old, as are my eyes, and I suspect the 3070 will be just fine, but the 3080 would obviously be better and only $200 more). Not really been playing ED much recently, and went for the Reverb G2 for MSFS 2020 as much as ED, but will be happy flying and driving in Odyssey in VR too, I'm sure.

Interesting!
I've got a Rift CV1 with a 1070 OC Strix, which is undervolted and overclocked. It lets me run Horizons at VR Ultra settings tweaked using Elite Dangerous Graphic Settings FULLY Explained! | ED Tutorials.

I'm trying to get a hold of a 3080, and then I'll look at a G2 or whatever headset is best quality at the time.

Top Bottom