Powerplay What does Exploited Mean

Could someone please explain what the 'Exploited' status means. I'm seeing this everywhere (new commander in Horizons) - admittedly I've not gone more than 20LY from Assellus Primus yet, but would like to know what this term (and related terms) means?

Thanks in advance.

In Powerplay you have Control Systems where you fortify and gather Powerplay materials, and Exploited systems around them. If you go to the Powerplay tab for your power, select a Control System and tick the 'Control' tab a bubble will pop up that shows the systems that Control System exploits.

Any populated system within this bubble will add value to that Control system in the centre, 'exploiting' its wealth, expressed in Command Capital, or CC. Some powers have perks that get projected onto Exploited systems (which could be due to bugs, but is another story). Beyond that there is nothing else that changes. Some player groups dislike the moniker.

In Powerplay you have Control Systems where you fortify and gather Powerplay materials, and Exploited systems around them. If you go to the Powerplay tab for your power, select a Control System and tick the 'Control' tab a bubble will pop up that shows the systems that Control System exploits.

Any populated system within this bubble will add value to that Control system in the centre, 'exploiting' its wealth, expressed in Command Capital, or CC. Some powers have perks that get projected onto Exploited systems (which could be due to bugs, but is another story). Beyond that there is nothing else that changes. Some player groups dislike the moniker.

It's a horribly mis-applied term, as well. Control and Exploited make Power Play feel like Galactic Risk when all it measures is population under the influence (not authority) of galactic powers. Command Capital is not a measurement of Wealth or GDP, it is purely a measurement of population. When a Control System is established, that system and its government are converted to throwing their political weight behind the Power. Sometimes they ban goods, close black markets, reduce the cost of slaves, or double the rewards for common practices. Some of these effects and the Power's defensive ships apply to all systems within 15Ly of the Control system. Additionally, the population of those 'exploited' systems also fall under the influence of the Power when not contested by another Power.

These so-called exploited systems are not abused, oppressed, or maligned. They are courted, protected, and have security forces supplemented. In exchange, the populations and governments of these systems lend their weight behind the Power. If the Power's ethos does not agree with the local governments in the control sphere, then it takes more effort on the Power's part to secure their endorsement.

These are the reasons why I think 'exploited' is quite possibly the worst terminology used in the game.

My question related to exploited systems is:

Why some squadrons/players involved in powerplay want to put exploited systems under the control of their powerplay major faction (imp/fed)?
For example, I have come across Arissa Lavigny supporters asking me not to gain influence for independent minor factions in exploited systems controlled by imperial factions.
Is that just role play?
I don't see how a controlling minor faction in an exploited system affects the amount of CC received.

Why some squadrons/players involved in powerplay want to put exploited systems under the control of their powerplay major faction (imp/fed)?
For example, I have come across Arissa Lavigny supporters asking me not to gain influence for independent minor factions in exploited systems controlled by imperial factions.
Is that just role play?
I don't see how a controlling minor faction in an exploited system affects the amount of CC received.

Because they get bonuses based on the power. Check out the 'stats' tab and you'll see the effects it has on indie, Imp, Fed and Alliance allied systems.

1610896473667.png

Is that just role play?

Powers prepare and then expand into a system that becomes controlled.

All populated systems within 15 ly of that system become "exploited" - making it a sphere. If there are already exploited systems from other powers, those become "contested" instead (and the governments there won't matter at all for PP) and neither of the involved powers get the CC for those systems.

Every power has a few government types they are "strong" or "weak" against, which you can check at Power_Name -> Control -> Overview (yes, that's a button you can click on). For Arissa:

1611008009412.png

This means that in Arissa exploited systems it will be better for her to have feudal and patronage minor factions in charge of the systems. The superpower of the factions do not matter at all for PP.

Once a control sphere has the majority of its exploited systems with a "strong" government-type, the effort it takes for players to fortify the control system of that sphere is reduced by half. So far example, if the trigger is 5000, it will be reduced to 2500 - making it much faster (and cheaper). Succesful fortification of a system removes the CC upkeep cost for the next cycle, or cancels out with the undermine trigger if both are reached. Undermined systems that haven't been fortified will instead lose all that sphere's CC income for the next cycle.

Is it possible for an exploited system of a power to become a controlled system of that same power?
Example: System A is controlled by Torval. System B is 11 ly away and is Exploited by Torval.
Can system B be turned into a controlled system by Torval?

Is it possible for an exploited system of a power to become a controlled system of that same power?
Example: System A is controlled by Torval. System B is 11 ly away and is Exploited by Torval.
Can system B be turned into a controlled system by Torval?
No, it can't. Can't expand into a system within 15 ly of another control system.

Top Bottom