What game are we all playing instead of E:D?

some very good suggestions there!

i would highly recommend another gem from the "endless" guys, "dungeon of the endless".

it's an interesting mix of roguelike and tower defense, actually quite hard but with loads of good humor, can be played in short stints and is a lot of fun in coop.

Decided it's too hot at the moment to play ED and after the two trade CG's seems to have gone very quiet on that front.

So I've fired up Farming Simulator 17, dusted off one of the UK maps (Oakfield Farm) I was working on. With Seasons and a few other mods installed the whole thing is strangely compelling, who would have thought mowing a field, tedding the hay then baling it would be cracking entertainment. Or planning where to put your tomato and lettuce greenhouses then realising you haven't left enough room to manoeuvre the water tanker or manure scoop to service the plants. At the moment with Seasons there's an element of Fast Forward simulator waiting for the summer months to arrive so I can start harvesting my crops, but there's always tree cutting and logging to keep me occupied.

I really need to try FS19 at some point, but when it first came out was quite buggy and seemed the developer had dropped the ball on a few aspects. However it's been out a few months now, some mods and maps are starting to emerge so probably worth another look.

Since summer vacation started over here my son and I picked up Ark Survival Evolved again after a long time.
We bought Aberration and Extinction and made a fresh start.
Aberration is hard, I mean realy hard, this whole place is out to kill you but it's incredible fun when you learn to take the right measures.
There are great new tools to counter this harsh world, glider wings, bio hazard suits, and some very nice new dinos to tame too.
Ark already was a great survival game but if you like a real challenge I can highly recommend Aberrration.

I think Wildcard made a good design choice by making it split screen on console, Ark is one of the best couch co-op games out there imho.

Since summer vacation started over here my son and I picked up Ark Survival Evolved again after a long time.
We bought Aberration and Extinction and made a fresh start.
Aberration is hard, I mean realy hard, this whole place is out to kill you but it's incredible fun when you learn to take the right measures.
There are great new tools to counter this harsh world, glider wings, bio hazard suits, and some very nice new dinos to tame too.
Ark already was a great survival game but if you like a real challenge I can highly recommend Aberrration.

I think Wildcard made a good design choice by making it split screen on console, Ark is one of the best couch co-op games out there imho.
Yeah, abberation is evil. Even the plants are out to kill you!

I made a mistake and headed downward looking for resources. Found myself in a very nasty place with lots of powerful hostile creatures and got turned around and lost. I was running and climbing for ages, with nasties chasing me all over the place. Finally got out thanks to the use of climbing hooks, but it was like 30 minutes of pure panic.

Still dusting off my Steam library and went back to building crazy rockets in KSP and similar game Simple Rockets. I also have Children of the Dead Earth and noticed that due to some big update most of my library got broke so need to re design my fleet there as well - the part of my brain responsible for creativity is happy again :D

Yeah, abberation is evil. Even the plants are out to kill you!

I made a mistake and headed downward looking for resources. Found myself in a very nasty place with lots of powerful hostile creatures and got turned around and lost. I was running and climbing for ages, with nasties chasing me all over the place. Finally got out thanks to the use of climbing hooks, but it was like 30 minutes of pure panic.
Lol yeah, we went into the blue zone, so unprepared!!!!!
It took about ten minutes untill we got crowded by nameless creatures and while running away the freezing spores took care of us both.
It was a mess but we had a good laugh.

I am back to loving the hell out of Pathfinder: Kingmaker with that absolutely BRILLIANT turn-based mod. Holy cow, is that one clever modder.

Well worth checking out on Nexus, assigning a hotkey to it to turn it on and off -- PERFECT.

I finally got around to getting Everspace.

So far, I'm enjoying it quite a lot. What took me so long? :) Easy to recommend for space sim or 6DOF flight fans. It's exactly what it says on the tin: Descent and FTL had a baby, and raised it on a steady diet of Rogue Legacy.

My only real complaint is that the joystick support is pretty awful. I eventually managed to get something workable, but it required downloading some joystick curves software to compensate for the over-sensitivity, and even then there's some weird jerky movement going on at times. It's perfectly playable with KBMouse, but I enjoy using my sticks too much so I'll put up with the rough edges.

Meanwhile, the rest of the game is gorgeous and fun. The "Normal" difficulty feels like it may end up being on the easy side once I've leveled up some perks, but I figure I'll let that happen until I finish the story and then switch to Hardcore instead. In the meantime, Elite is likely going to stay shelved unless a particularly compelling event comes along.

Finally got around to giving Skyrim VR a proper go... it's been in my library since launch

15 hours over two days later :eek:o_O:sneaky:
I haven't played Skyrim VR, but I did spend quite some time with the Fallout VR. It's quite something.
We can moan about Bethesda all we want but the truth is that Elite aside, the Skyrim and Fallout are some of the very few REAL games for VR.

I haven't played Skyrim VR, but I did spend quite some time with the Fallout VR. It's quite something.
We can moan about Bethesda all we want but the truth is that Elite aside, the Skyrim and Fallout are some of the very few REAL games for VR.
Yeah, I'd agree with that. I took a quick peek at F4 and Skyrim VR when they came out and I found Both a bit clunky at the time. I thought they were both cool in concept, but that's about it. I've since upgraded my PC, the games have been updated, I assume, and the experience has been improved.

Skyrim VR runs like a dream now, with everything on high and super sampling %200+ with mods.

You've reminded me, I must go back and try F4 VR again

Aside of World of Warships and AC Origins, with the family away, I started sinking time into Hearts of Iron IV... it is like Civ used to be for me, last time I fired it up I played till 1 AM... Great game, finally a Paradox grand strategy I managed to get around to actually start learning the basics.

Angry Birds VR is fun, and Oculus actually suprised me to be plug&play months and updates later.

I still haven't tried others I picked up during Summer Sale, that is: Pavlov VR and AC Odyssey (will finish AC Origins Hidden Ones first, the main campiagn is done). :)

Finally got around to giving Skyrim VR a proper go... it's been in my library since launch

15 hours over two days later :eek:o_O:sneaky:
I also went all in with mods and stuff, but for me it was too intense, and natural locomotion on hillsides made me sick too - even though I am Elite SRV-proofed. Might give it another try.

Inquisitor: Martyr

Hosing down Nurglings with a heavy flamer is very on-brand.
I wanted to buy it because I liked their previous Van Helsing game but I'm still having doubts. I currently spend all my free time on Path of Exile. At first, it was like a Diablo-clone no-brainer to me, but then I got sucked into it. But the last league made the game harder at some point, but thanks to this I managed to make the Eternal labyrinth run. I think I'll order one run more soon.

I wanted to buy it because I liked their previous Van Helsing game but I'm still having doubts. I currently spend all my free time on Path of Exile. At first, it was like a Diablo-clone no-brainer to me, but then I got sucked into it. But the last league made the game harder at some point, but thanks to this I managed to make the Eternal labyrinth run. I think I'll order one run more soon.
I don't play many dungeon crawler-type games. I got this on a Steam sale, and as I enjoy the 40K universe it's fun in that context. There's a lot of DLC that I'm a bit suspicious about as some aspects (crafting, etc) are a bit grindy in vanilla.

I did play a PoE for a while years ago. It was an utter time-sink so I uninstalled it once I got bored of it the first time and have not loaded it since! Got the Baldur s Gate games too somewhere on CD but that's about it.

Top Bottom