Ships What's the natural successor?

So, there's me, pootling around in my Cobra MkIII, and it pretty much does everything. Exploring? check, good range, low costs, nice visibility, good scoops. Fighting? decent enough. Trade? A little on the light side, but enough for missions and by-the-by sideprofits. Smuggling? Yup. Mining? Yup.

Thing is, I want to move on to the "next" ship, that can continue serving as an all-rounded. And I've no idea which ship that would be. It feels like there is a very obvious, natural progression from sidewinder to adder to cobra, and ... what's next? What's the, shall we say, Cobra MkV alternative?

Next one down that road is the Asp, two more guns, twice the cargo, better range, slower though. Next from there is the Clipper, same amount of weapons as the Cobra but one size larger, same wide hardpoint placement, nearly as fast, again twice as much cargo as the Asp, requires large landing pads though, no more outposts, lower range. And that is where the ships similar to the Cobra end. Above Clipper only the Python and Anaconda exist, which feel seriously different, especially slow. 1.3 will add the Courier, which will fit in somewhere along this road.

Last edited:
Personally, for me it will be the Asp and that's where I will probably stay unless FD release a dedicated explorer. In a Cobra too and it just does everything so well that I'll probably keep it when I upgrade.

The spacer's choice after the Sidewinder is strictly in line with their goals. Some prefer a flexible setup others prefer a more focused approach in this case:

Adder > Cobra > Asp if you prefer a multirole ship.
Eagle > Viper > Vulture if you're going for straight combat.
Hauler > Type 6 > Type 7 or 9 if you're a trucker.

some might as what playstyle you prefer. are you mainly a (npc)bountyhunter and enjoy firing l4z0rz? do you also like (frag)cannons? do you accidently boost constantly cause your powerplant delivers? do you ram into ships cause your lasers are too weak?
if some of those answers would be "yes", then go for an Asp as Cannonboat, Vulture as Attacker, or the mighty Python as a well-armed freighter?
to find out about each ship, you already know how to seek-up resources, i prefer to test any ship myself tho...

btw, knowing how to handle each mentioned-above ship, i gotta admit, i *love* my Python, i would never sell it again. but i sold a Cobra just to have some more insurance money lol

xkjacob

X
The next ship is the Asp.
It is basically the best all around ship in the game.
Take the sidewinder, eagle, hauler, cobra, viper and adder, type 6 and the Asp replaces all of them. The best point to point ship in the game, 100+ cargo space, sufficient fighting skills and you have the apex of all aroundness. Only until python/anaconda do you get some parity.

I guess I just don't see the asp as a combat-viable ship, tbh. Always had the impression that they were spruced-up freighter boats.

As for what I'd do with the next-from-cobra-ship.. Well, let's say, 30% doing galnet missions / community goals as they come up (all kinds - even with a small cargobay on trade missions if necessary), 45% bounty-hunting/combat-missions, 25% going on a short exploration trip (think about 150 systems or so in a semicircle). Ofc, swapping out the upgrade modules as required between the eplo / combat.

I don't really see myself as a dedicated trucker. A bit too dull, alas.

But.. idk. You guys are saying the asp won't be a downgrade when it comes to fights?

xkjacob

X
Here are the major differences between Asp and (viper/Eagle/sidewinder)
- less agility
- less straight line speed.
- TONS more firepower
- TONS more survivability.
4 small points plus 2 medium points plus 4 utility slots means lots of weapons (of different types) and lots of shield boosters/utility. It is a great platform for trying different things.
Plus cargo space for days.

I guess I just don't see the asp as a combat-viable ship, tbh. Always had the impression that they were spruced-up freighter boats.

But.. idk. You guys are saying the asp won't be a downgrade when it comes to fights?

You got to jump on one and outfit it just as nicely or equivalently to your cobra now...you'll see the difference.

Think of it as a bull...is not so agile, but is the strongest of all the ships beneath it...and it actually packs more firepower than any of them at the same time. Put A thrusters and it stops being as sluggish.

Even Pythons and Annies regard a well equipped Asp with a skillful pilot as a very tough cookie to chew, if not fret...I don't think you have seriously look into it and actually you might like it more than you think.

Go ahead.,,test it first..then decide...

Last edited:
Answering your question, Asp.
_
It's however not an amazing fighter and a huge target. It hits HARD with 6 multicannons, but makes little sense as a full-time combat boat. Furthermore, after FD answered all them whines and put a second-hand price tag on a premium fighter that is the Vulture, I'm not afraid to say it doesn't make any sense at all.
_
Combat-built Asp will run you up to 40 million. That's DOUBLE of an A-rated Vulture which will chew you alive.

I'd say Asp in the Multi-role.
Vulture in the Combat role.
And I'm hoping (fingers crossed) the Diamondback for everything...

Moved into the Vulture (Ultimately, didn't go for the asp because I don't like the looks xD). Insane firepower, but also daaayum, the fuel tank & fsd range is terrible.

Thats the thing, the Vulture takes so long to get to the systems with the CGs I normally just take the Asp so I'm assured of getting there before it ends...

Yes the ASP is the next multi role ship to go from a Cobra, though the Diamondback is supposed to be a fair priced combat/exploration ship, so that might actually bypass the ASP. Though, tbh, I'm hoping that the Diamondback is the neutral version of a Clipper (I'm a Federation Pilot and damn proud of the fact I'm not on friendly terms with the Empire!) in terms of pricing and ability, (we do need something in the 15-30 mil price range for exploration because it goes low end ship (adder, hauler, cobra) under the 500k mark, to the type 6 and ASP in the 1-6 million range, straight to the Anaconda(in terms of jump range) which is priced at 100+ million.

The Asp is great for PvE, but terrible for PvP - its power plant is ridiculously easy to hit and it's very weak.

A6 shield, shield boosters, hull reinforcement packages, A-rated thrusters and a high-rated KWS make it an absolute beast in a RES - NPCs are dumb and don't (yet?) know to go for the power plant (if they ever get the shields down).

Fit 6 pulse lasers for maximum lulz shooting time.

Last edited:
I couldn't get used to the sluggishesness of the Asp after the Cobra for combat. So I fitted it out for exploring and kept using the Cobra for combat / missions untill I could afford a Vulture.
I still use the Cobra pretty often though, even for combat. If you really look at which ship is the best all-rounder, the Cobra wins hands down.

For some reason I have a feeling my Vulture makes NPC's gang up on me more often too compared to the Cobra. When you're being attacked by multiple ships, your shields go fast, even in an A-specced Vulture..
In the Cobra I felt more safe, but then again, the Vulture packs a huge punch.

Top Bottom