Horizons Where are the real POIs?

So yeah, I've been landing on planets for a while now, looking for things to salvage etc.
When I fly over the planets and see a Big Red Circle on my scanner, I'll cut the engines and land my ship.
In the meanwhile, the red circle has disappeared (WHY?!) and the SRV scanner doesn't really pick up anything.
If I then drive around in the SRV, keeping my eye on the scanner, all I'll eventually find are :):):):):):):) rocks.
I've found so many materials by now, it's not even funny!

Where are the crashed ships? The guarded sites? How do I find them?!

I don't think materials should show up as POI's, because they're really easy to find just by driving around. POI circles on the scanner should be reserved for mission specific stuff like wrecked ships, salvage, mining posts, skimmers and so on.

I don't think materials should show up as POI's, because they're really easy to find just by driving around. POI circles on the scanner should be reserved for mission specific stuff like wrecked ships, salvage, mining posts, skimmers and so on.

Well, that is already the case. (Which might be what you mean...a bit unclear.)

As for the OP. Can't say why you haven't found anything. Works fine for me, both when it comes to spotting them from the air and finding them with the SRV scanner. Keep in mind that the higher frequencies on the scanner means artificial POIs. The lower frequencies means natural sources like materials.

Last edited:
You mean you can see the POIs from your ship?
When you find a POI location (the red circle thing) do you land in the middle of it?

Oh right, I mean blue circle, I have my hud colors changed, red circles mean stuff.
Like just now, I landed in a circle, had a low-pitch sound and I just found 3 Metalic Meteorites close together.
It's cute and all, those materials, but they don't get my any credits...

They made it really hard to find something in the circles, it was better in past beta phases but they decided to make it harder again. Sometimes it makes you think they like to frustrate people same with mission rewards again ...

Well, that is already the case. (Which might be what you mean...a bit unclear.)

As for the OP. Can't say why you haven't found anything. Works fine for me, both when it comes to spotting them from the air and finding them with the SRV scanner. Keep in mind that the higher frequencies on the scanner means artificial POIs. The lower frequencies means natural sources like materials.

Is it? What I mean is POI's should only contain mission specific stuff (wrecks, cargo canisters, skimmers, and so on) and not materials for synthesis. Whenever I take a mission that requires me to enter POI's a good proportion of them contain nothing but rocks. Materials are easy enough to find while simply driving around so you certainly shouldn't need a big blue circle showing you them.

Unless I'm misunderstanding it and the POI's I'm finding are actually empty and the rocks just happen to be there.

It is quite annoying though, when you've taken a rescue mission that only has 1 hour time limit to have to waste 50 minutes of that time flying to, and driving about in, a lot of useless POI's. I'm not saying that the thing you're looking for should show up right away (because that takes the fun out of it) but it needn't be quite so tedious. It needs to be somewhere inbetween.

Last edited:
It CAN be difficult to spot POI from the air. However, in my last session I encountered a single POI area which partially covered a very large crater. Within that crater, there were three separate POI within the same POI area, all visible from the air at about 1.5km alt. Two of them were very small-- one to two small structures with a couple skimmers.

I don't much mind the mechanic as it is now. Allowing the POI area indicator all the way to the surface height was nice and easy as a frame of reference whilst visually searching, but as it is-- its not nearly as bad as some folks make it out to be. Keep in mind, you have a clear indicator of you position relative to the surface. The lat/long coordinates can be your friend when dipping below 2km (POI area visibility cutoff).

Note your position at the edge of the circle when entering. Traverse the circle and note the position again. Dip to 1-1.5km height for visual inspection, reverse course and using the coordinates travel back through. Obviously you may have to stray from a direct flight back to cover the entire area, but this strategy has worked so far for me.

The patterns on the wave scanner indicate not just the direction but also the target type. Artificial structures like ships, canisters, and bases show up with lines in the top half of the scanner, whereas only bottom half signals are natural objects like outcrops, meteorites, etc.

It's a good idea to dismiss your ship to eliminate that false positive.

I thought it was just me, yeah I've had a lot of difficulty finding the PoI in the PoI. One time I found a downed Nav Beacon after a LOT of searching around, but yeah the meteorites keep throwing me off on the wrong paths.

Top Bottom