Which animals you DON'T want in a game ?

I could do without anymore spiders for a while. There are plenty of other lovely reptiles and inverts yet to be represented. I would welcome the introduction of proper diving mechanics and a select handful of charismatic aquatic critters currently kept in captivity, but would prefer we stick to only those kept with success in modern aquariums. No great whites, if orcas are a thing they should be incredibly difficult to keep and come with a lot of expenses and prestige. I think smaller cetaceans are common enough in zoos and aquariums that I disagree with skipping over them entirely. Expanding on the land and air based roster as well as the more common semi-aquatics before diving into the fully marine life would be a smart choice though. There're still so many classic zoo animals to cover that to do marine life before the roster is more complete would feel a bit premature. That's not to say I won't appreciate the animals regardless, but the timing of each species' release is important when you only get four habitat animals every few months. I like that we got a dingo, but I could've waited a year or two for it if the other option was a wombat, you know?

I'd prefer to see the living species roster expanded a great deal before any mention of extinct species, and even then I question if Planet Zoo is the appropriate platform for such an experience. However, the Planet games offer a degree of creative freedom not found in other games that deal with keeping extinct animals, so the premise does have some appeal. I would prefer to see a new Planet game conquer that theme rather than have it integrated into Planet Zoo. Mythical creatures in Planet Zoo are a no for me, it's just not the right setting for all the fantastic magic sparkle critters.

I could do without anymore spiders for a while. There are plenty of other lovely reptiles and inverts yet to be represented. I would welcome the introduction of proper diving mechanics and a select handful of charismatic aquatic critters currently kept in captivity, but would prefer we stick to only those kept with success in modern aquariums. No great whites, if orcas are a thing they should be incredibly difficult to keep and come with a lot of expenses and prestige. I think smaller cetaceans are common enough in zoos and aquariums that I disagree with skipping over them entirely. Expanding on the land and air based roster as well as the more common semi-aquatics before diving into the fully marine life would be a smart choice though. There're still so many classic zoo animals to cover that to do marine life before the roster is more complete would feel a bit premature. That's not to say I won't appreciate the animals regardless, but the timing of each species' release is important when you only get four habitat animals every few months. I like that we got a dingo, but I could've waited a year or two for it if the other option was a wombat, you know?

I'd prefer to see the living species roster expanded a great deal before any mention of extinct species, and even then I question if Planet Zoo is the appropriate platform for such an experience. However, the Planet games offer a degree of creative freedom not found in other games that deal with keeping extinct animals, so the premise does have some appeal. I would prefer to see a new Planet game conquer that theme rather than have it integrated into Planet Zoo. Mythical creatures in Planet Zoo are a no for me, it's just not the right setting for all the fantastic magic sparkle critters.
I agreed with no great white sharks. Since/If they cannot last long in captivity in real life, what's the use?

There're still so many classic zoo animals to cover that to do marine life before the roster is more complete would feel a bit premature. That's not to say I won't appreciate the animals regardless, but the timing of each species' release is important when you only get four habitat animals every few months
I somewhat share your opinion on this one. I wouldn't mind aquarium exhibits to give the community something to dream about :D
I really think timing is important - adding certain iconic animals within 2 years would be my preference over some other ideas.

I don't think there's a good reason not to include, say, the Malayan sun bear, which looks and behaves completely differently to any of the current in-game bears.

I would suggest the Andean bear too which I would have included in the base game instead of the Himalayan brown bear which still seems such an odd choice.

Im not very interested in commonly kept zoo animals, many of the popular suggestions really. I’d like focus on not very known and endangered animals.

Im not very interested in commonly kept zoo animals, many of the popular suggestions really. I’d like focus on not very known and endangered animals.

Most of the commonly suggested zoo animals are endangered. Also, what constitutes an animal that isn't "well known"? Most of us here have a pretty broad knowledge of animals. You'd struggle to find one only a few people have ever heard of.

I would suggest the Andean bear too which I would have included in the base game instead of the Himalayan brown bear which still seems such an odd choice.
Well, that idea of the Himalayan brown bear was probably because of the brown bear version of the Jungle Book's Baloo(s). Other versions of Baloo were black (mostly american black ones and had no chest mark.).

Last edited:
Well, that idea of the Himalayan brown bear was probably because of the brown bear version of the Jungle Book's Baloo(s). Other versions of Baloo were black.

Personally I'm of the opinion that it was just an "easy" way to buff out the roster. A bit like how they added in two species of giant tortoises as well.

Most of the commonly suggested zoo animals are endangered. Also, what constitutes an animal that isn't "well known"? Most of us here have a pretty broad knowledge of animals. You'd struggle to find one only a few people have ever heard of.
I’m talking about animals that don’t get a lot of attention because they aren’t charismatic megafauna. Animals that may not be “cute” or “majestic” to the mainstream.

Well, that idea of the Himalayan brown bear was probably because someone like the Jungle Book's Baloo(s), Disney especially. Some versions of Baloo were brown bear subspecies, some were black.
Personally I'm of the opinion that it was just an "easy" way to buff out the roster. A bit like how they added in two species of giant tortoises as well.
Yeah. I like Galapagos one more. And most of the captive giant tortoise are Aldabra ones. Am I correct?

Yeah. I like Galapagos one more. And most of the captive giant tortoise are Aldabra ones. Am I correct?

Something I didn't know either but a quick on Zootierliste which just gives stats for European zoos shows Aldabra tortoises to be significantly more common than Galapagos - like 3-4 times more common which I found quite surprising.

Top Bottom