Hardware & Technical which stick should i get ?

Out of the two I'd go for the Saitek but that's because I like the throttle thingy.

Have a nice cheap T-Flight Hotas Thrustmaster myself. Mainly for the price but mostly because the Word Thrustmaster makes me snigger.

I've gone with the Thrustmaster Hotas (only £40) but as luck would have it I'm getting an upgrade to the Saitek X52 Pro - if you can find that in stock - it's only a bit more expensive that the one you've given the link for - but getting stock is the problem - at least for me - 2 months it's been 'on order'.

yeah I am more leaning towards the saitek,

I cant see the point in going for the pro version as they look the same to me ? and at the price of the pro version I am near the price of the x55..

of coarse if money was no problem I would get the tm warthog lol

I've gone with the Thrustmaster Hotas (only £40) but as luck would have it I'm getting an upgrade to the Saitek X52 Pro - if you can find that in stock - it's only a bit more expensive that the one you've given the link for - but getting stock is the problem - at least for me - 2 months it's been 'on order'.

niiiice m8,

Yeah that is the problem, no where has stock,

do you know what the difference is between the non-pro and the pro model?

The CH stuff is well made, doesn't look as fancy but will last years (some folks have had theirs work for decades). I've got the combatstick, throttle and pro pedals and can't fault them.

I cant see the point in going for the pro version as they look the same to me ? and at the price of the pro version I am near the price of the x55..

I thought the X55 was much more than the X52 pro - certainly if not the pro go for the normal one. For the £30 extra I felt the pro a better choice for the durability (hopefully won't need to worry about that though).

edit:
Also - difference between pro and normal - is just looks and durability (supposedly)

I think many people don't realise the warthog doesn't have a twist function, which means you also need to buy pedals.

I personally have got the Thrustmaster T16000m, very nice cheap joystick. I just ordered the CH throttle to go with that as I was getting tired of the throttle-slider. Looking forward to trying that!

Personally, I'd go for the CH Fighterstick (rather than the Combatstick), paired with the CH throttle.

The Fighterstick has more hats, and you *will* use them all.

I've had the X52 pro as well, but decided on the CH stuff. Not as 'pretty', but better construction.

You can always put rudder on one of the throttle hat switches if you don't want pedals.

A Combatstick alone will be sorely deficient in functions compared with an x52.

However (disclaimer: I'm a CH fanboy), I suggest you pay a bit more for a Fighterstick, then at a future date spend even more on a Pro Throttle. Personally I would rather play with a lone Fighterstick than a x52 stick and throttle (the x52 has more functions but they're all in the wrong place and feel RSI-inducing, then there are potential (unavoidable?) issues with stick smoothness and long-term reliability).

You could instead get a Combatstick now, and the throttle later (which combined would add up to enough functions), but you would be a bit short in the meantime, and the Fighterstick is only a little more money.

thanks for all the replies and opinions,

I can't make up my mind haha, for the cost of a ch combat stick and throttle, a x55 rhino would work out cheaper..

I might just get the x52 and then i can sell that at a later date and upgrade to a x55

Yep you're really comparing sticks from different 'tiers'. The CH combatstick on its own will be a bit limiting, since it doesn't have a twist grip. I'd say without also using the CH throttle, it loses out just in terms of features (most notably lacking a third attitude axis; you'l probably have to bind yaw to a hat or use the 'yaw with roll' option in elite).

There are big advantages to CH though, mostly in the quality of the build, gimbal design, and amazing software (often overlooked).

Personally, if you're thinking short term, I'd go TflightX hotas (which actually has some advantages over the X52 given its better gimbal mechanics and extra axis on the throttle). I personally hate lots of things about the Saitek sticks including stick mechanism, build quality, inability to move to 'full x and full y' and lots of not-particularly useful twist buttons with annoying LEDs.

I can't make up my mind haha, for the cost of a ch combat stick and throttle, a x55 rhino would work out cheaper..

I might just get the x52 and then i can sell that at a later date and upgrade to a x55

I've never had a x55, but assuming that it's half the price of the CH stuff I doubt it will fundamentally be any better than an x52, so not really an upgrade on one. The Saitek stuff is built down to a price. The CH stuff is from a company that makes industrial joysticks - don't underestimate the importance of that. There's also a lot to be said for getting the cheap Thrustmaster thing as the poster above suggests.

I took the plunge on an x-55 and I am pleased that I did.

It was either that or a thrustmaster t.flight HOTAS X as it does the job just fine from what I can tell. I would defo recommend a HOTAS as apposed to just a joystick.

cheers for the replies again :D such a friendly community :D

it just so happens i did a search on a local classifieds site and i picked up a second hand x52 pro for 50 :D bargain its in new condition :D

I have the x52 pro and decided to upgrade to thrustmaster hotas, but didn't get on with it, found the stick too big for my hands, and didn't have twist yaw which I liked on x52. So thrustmaster is shelved at the mo.I've just upgraded to the x55 hotas which does have twist yaw which is great, stick again is larger than the x52, but trying to get used to it, but also experiencing throttle issues. After trying the 3 sticks x52 pro is my favourite at the most.

Top Bottom