Ships Why are so many still using the AspX and not the Phantom?

Honestly, I would say it's probably my favorite ship in the game and I would argue that it is the most versatile ship in the game besides the anaconda. I have two of them that I use for PvP, pirating, mat collecting, exploration and I used to use it for mining.

Exploration build. I also use this for HGE mat collecting as well.

Im gonna pinch that explorer build. Had been using one of my asp explorers as a taxi when hoppin' about the bubble, but its fat ass has been getting on my nerves a bit when swooping in for a landing pad. Usually use the cobra 3 as a taxi but lately have needed the extra 20 light years from the aspx.

I don't support the Phantom or profit creep.
They both represent things I think are wrong with the game.
I won't put my stamp of approval on it.

And you can't land Anaconda deep in the canyon or in any other tight spot for that matter. Been there before. You travel thousands of light years just to find some really cool place and to realize that your ship can't actually land there because it just too big. 😂

You got that right. That's why my main exploration ship is the Dolphin. Jumping 57.5 light years and never having to worry about finding a place to land.

Money. Then I got used to it.

For me simply because I could earn the money to buy an Asp Explorer with the starter Sidewinder (was considering a Dolphin first, but engineering makes switching more difficult). A bare Krait Phantom is 5.6 times more expensive than an Asp Explorer. And it could do many things well enough for me and I got used to it. Like my car. With The Asp Explorer I started engineering and earned a Type-9 Heavy. And with that I got the Elite discount ; ). It's a pity I cant't have the Type-9's view or Asp Ex's view and convergence in the other ships.
Now I'll go shopping for a fleet carrier. I saved up almost enough money for a Fleet Carrier by the end of last year (I reckoned it would cost about 5G credits), and since neither rebuy nor transport costs are an issue with these I don't care about discounts.

Last edited:
How about the Asp Explorer has much better looking paint jobs. :)

I have a specific use for the Asp which it does well without compromise.
The Krait Mk II to me is more of a 'Python light'.
The Krait Phantom is more of a 'Krait Mk II light'.
They are both better used in my other play styles.

Regards

Went back to the Asp X coz it's more agile in supercruise.. Makes HGE farming easier for me.
Also the asp has a smaller landing profile afaik.
Phantom is pretty noice with it's bigger internal space and got mine fully engineered for long range exploration. But - you could also use a conda for that.

The point is: Asp X is good enough for anything in the bubble & offers easier landings, better maneuverability.
And for long range stuffs the Anaconda brings ~ 10 ly bigger jump range.
Phantom is stuck in the middleground..I rarely use it..was surprised myself.

also: I dont like the color red..wish we could change interior paints

i really love the phantom. the red cockpit, good view, and the vaguely millenium falcon look works for me. It's also a very flexible ship, though it clearly has some focus on long range flight or exploration. Mine is modestly engineered, 60ly range, and I take along 2 SRVs. It is slightly tougher to land on rough terrain than the DBX was, but I've managed to land at guardian sites, crystal shards, jamesons crash site, lots of places and while its a bit picky about the ground i've always managed it. Honestly i hated the DBX. It was the handling, it felt draggy somehow. I had an ASPx as a miner for a while due to the plethora of hardpoints, never really tried it in exploration, lol I used it to earn money to buy the phantom! Used the phantom for mining too for a while, worked great.
The phantom does have one thing that really bothers me though, which is the front landing gear. It blocks the SRV bay, and means you gotta make this sharp turn and then back up to align with the bay properly. Very annoying.
I bought an anaconda too, and fitted and partially engineered it, but, it's just so damn big! how would I ever land it anywhere, and other than adding a fighter bay, it doesn't do anything my phantom cant. Anaconda feels like driving an oil tanker too... Honestly i'm not sure i'll keep it....

Top Bottom