Why can't I engineer modules that are AT the engineer's base, just not equipped on my ship?

So I wanted to engineer some huge gimballed cannons for a meme build I've been trying out, but obviously, hauling around two huge cannons is a pain, and the last thing I wanted to do was waste time traveling across the bubble in a corvette.

But then I had a brilliant idea; why not just buy them elsewhere, then have them shipped in, and do something else while I waited? Genius!

So I return to the base, find the cannons there - and find that I can't engineer them, despite them being RIGHT there. I can even look at the cannon engineering, I just can't tell the engineer that yes, these are mine, please engineer them.

What's the deal? Am i doing something wrong?

That's just how it's always worked. The engy UI is tied to the ship. It's more implication that we were never meant to own more than one ship at a time.

An anaconda has decent jump range. You could grab one, engineer the cannons and store one while carrying one back to your vette. The conda is a good storage ship. I have one named "storage"

An anaconda has decent jump range. You could grab one, engineer the cannons and store one while carrying one back to your vette. The conda is a good storage ship. I have one named "storage"
I have a stripped down 'conda I call The Long Haul; does 77+ ly's unladen. I use it for engineering module runs. Depending on where I am, I can usually fully engineer another ship (except bulkhead armor obviously) in about an hour or less by putting what I want engineered on it, usually only the experimental's as everything else is pinned.

Top Bottom