Why heat sinks for exploration?

Never used one, how many jumps have I done? Not 100% sure, I will have to fire up the game to find out, but a million ly travelled isn't that far away, and I did quite a bit of that in a 30ly jump range ship. I never used to carry an AFMU until I realised they were apparently massless and didn't reduce jump range, but even since carrying one I don't think there's a time when I wouldn't have made it back from my trip without one.

A couple of times I have heated up a bit due to close binaries but it is really rare now as already mentioned, they did change jump exit points for close binaries, sometimes I think we put so much cotton around people it takes away a lot of the excitement of exploring, oh well.

LOL! Cotton around people? You know that it is combustible.

And Heat Sinks? You need them! … Why? Because of situations like this:

Going in! … GERONIMO! πŸ€ͺ

I've used a heatsink in a similar scenario before as well (hyperspace exit right between two hot stars), but it seems my ship is now running so cool, that I don't need them anymore. Previously, I had a heatsink launcher, 2 SRVs, a repair limpet controller and a mining laser on board. But this felt kind of like... too safe. I need to be kept on edge more! If there isn't any risk, or I perceive things as being overly safe, I tend to get too lazy about flying and driving safely and about sticking to my rules.

So I've now downgraded my ship to 1 SRV, no mining laser and no heatsink launcher. I kept the 1D repair limpet controller (0.5t, limpets on demand) and the twin AFMUs, since they don't weigh anything and I have enough slots for them. Dropping the limpet controller doesn't appear to make much sense, 0.5t less weight won't really boost my jump range all that much.

Though I'd love to fly through that gap right there @schlowi123 ... I can see how this is calling to people. ;)

A large amount of thread necromancy going on today. All from 4 years ago. Did someone experience temporal distortion in 2015 and just now (from our perspective) come out of it?

I am aware this is a necro, but I think the topic hasn't gone irrelevant so I'll weight in. My Phantom runs so cool that I really have to linger between close binaries for the heat to become a problem, but I still carry one lightweight HSL. On my longest exploration trip yet I only used it when CMDR Lysianassa tried to gank me at Beagle Point and I figured making my ship even more invisible would help me escape.

But you don't _ need _ any of it if you are careful. First time to BP I think I had an AFMU but I never used it.
I circumnaviagted the galaxy without a HSL and used the AFMU just because I had several of them.
I don't have a limpet controller until this day.

Once when my ship was docked at some outpost the ship started to heat. That was small or medium ship with no heat issues. I did some route planning, minimized ED, switched to browser so still had ability to hear game sounds. I've noticed beeps that the ship gains temperature. Not very fast. I waited for some time, checked modules (not sure what I expected to find out though), turned out some of them, then even more of them without result. At about 300 degrees I did log out/log in. After log in the temperature became ok. I was at the same location - docked with the outpost... I did not get a clue what happened. Would heat sinks help in the case?.. Probably not.

Edit: as for subj... I have aspx long leg taxi with fuel tank. It can make 18 jumps without refuel for sure - I can travel to Witch Head Nebula from the bubble without fuel scooping. It's about 14 minutes of pure jumps. And sometimes I go around star too close charging fsd... Btw, the warp is beatiful through frozen window.

Last edited:
LOL! Cotton around people? You know that it is combustible.

And Heat Sinks? You need them! … Why? Because of situations like this:
View attachment 143106

Going in! … GERONIMO! πŸ€ͺ

Done nearly a million ly, not needed one yet. Of course there were times when they would have made things a little easier, but I was emerging through stars before they nerfed the binary approaches, a careful approach and a bit of knowledge on how to get out of sticky situations means I have never really needed or used any. You don't need them, some people might want them, but you don't need them!

I was at the same location - docked with the outpost... I did not get a clue what happened. Would heat sinks help in the case?.. Probably not.

I am guessing you accidently hit the key for silent running, did it a few times myself long ago, soon learned not to!

I am guessing you accidently hit the key for silent running, did it a few times myself long ago, soon learned not to!
Nah, I would notice shield drop.
Though, it did look like silent running.

Edit: checked - it is impossible occasionally press button and engage silent running while docked. It is possible with right panel though.

Last edited:
You can engineer a HSL to weigh less than 0.2 t.
You're right of course. But I hate engineering (or rather the material acquisition part), so I never went beyond Farseer when it comes to that.. Can't deal with doing something so boring for so long. The two grade 5 FSDs I did where hard enough on me.. So I'd just remove the heatsink launcher instead. Much less work.

Never needed a heatsink and I’ve travelled around in a Dolphin a fair bit, it appears to have some overheating issue when leaving a planet. I do carry a small AFMU though after my disastrous first ever foray more than 5kly out of the bubble when my FSD stopped working and I had to blow up (I was unaware of reboot/repair). I’ve never used it but I never want to be in that position again. I just know that I’ll need it the very day I don’t fit it.

Wow, a 4-year thread necro? Start praying to whatever elder gods are still out there, for the dead are rising! :D

But yeah, with lightweight engineering, there's really no need to leave the heatsink behind anymore. You may never need to use it, but there are circumstances where it's helpful. Try landing on Skardee 1. Unless you're running a very cool ship, you'll probably overheat significantly before you get into glide. Getting back out is often worse.

Like a fire extinguisher, it's not something you will use every day, but it can be nice to have when the situation arises. ;)

EDIT: I engineered a couple of them back in 3303, and have been using the same ones ever since. I almost never actually fire a heatsink anymore, and rather rig the ship to run cool such that overheating is pretty unlikely.

Thanks for letting me know about Skardee! I'll bookmark that, will try to land there when I'm in that area (likely will be for a re-visit of BD+46 1067 and HD 40064 some time in the next 1-3 months).

Last edited:
Nah, I would notice shield drop.
Though, it did look like silent running.

Edit: checked - it is impossible occasionally press button and engage silent running while docked. It is possible with right panel though.

Yeah that's usually pretty obvious.

Top Bottom