Why is it so hard to join a group?

After playing for several years in Solo, I thought it would be nice to finally wing up with some people and go multi-player (if that's the correct term) and explore and work as a team. So, I tried to join a group (Canonn in my case, the first group I thought of due to their website and content and member numbers) and that's where the fun started. Make an account at Canonn, ok done. Now join Discord with another user account. OK, done. Now ask for permission from a Mod. OK, done. Now ask in a certain channel. OK, done. No response. Get messaged by another Commander if maybe I'd like to join their group. OK, fine. Then get confronted with more instructions to make an account at various ED sites and then pledge allegiance to someone or something and wait. Wait, what?

Why is it so hard to join a group?

Sorry you had a poor experience. You don't need to sign up for Canonn to join our discord, you can try before you buy (though we do make people have a profile on the website when signing up for full access to the science labs). Canonn has been around for a while so are not the most streamlined.

Now ask for permission from a Mod. OK, done. Now ask in a certain channel
Not sure about this - you should just need to ping the mods in #newcomers_welcome and they should sort you out. They can take a few hours to get back to you - all volunteers after all :D I don't see a pending request without a reply, so not sure what happened there 🤷‍♀️

The way the game is built makes it a bit spread.... Discord as a hub, INARA as a good roster tracking and squadron in game... That's what we have for our faction and it's rather low requirements and settled in less than 5 minutes. Perhaps other groups add layers, up to them.

Just to be clear, I am on the Canonn Discord channel and have been approved (I think) in-game to "see" the group. I can post and see the channels. It's all rather confusing for this old timer. :(

And thanks for the help guys. ED has a great community, don't change a thing!

Last edited:
Hi there Space Cadet Smith
I'd like to introduce you to the Alliance Rapid-reaction Corps. (ARRC for short)

It's a shame that you have had a hard time joining the group of your choice. However you have to be aware that a group or faction has various facets.
That being the case it's only natural that a certain amount of paranoia sets in.
Our faction, for instance, has to be aware of the many 5th columnists out there that would love to undermine us using insider info.
That being said, we don't have a lot of rules, and what we have you can read and understand in a few minutes.
Reading and agreeing to them is our only entry requirement. We also insist you take a little time to get to know us before joining.

Now for the Spiel!
We are a possibly one of the biggest, small Player Minor Factions. We are a well established group of about 30 players with a presence in over 30 of the "Old Worlds"
Our base of operations is in our home system of Zaonce, Ridley Scott station.
The home of the Zaonce Fleet and the Bank of Zaonce.
Our systems include Arque, the new home of Professor Palin and Tionisla, where the famous Ships Graveyard is reputed to bear permanent monument to many a brave pilot.

Time zone is GMT UK but we have a few American players and are to be found online pretty much any time.
We are actively seeking Console players, and players in the US to boost our US, PS4 and Xbox divisions.

Most of all we know a lot about the game and the best ways to quickly attain your goals.

We really don't mind who you are or where you come from. If you want to be our friends and allies then you will be.
Better still. Why not join us?

A lot of us were here in '84 and as far as game play goes we moslty bimble about engaging in pretty much whatever comes to mind.

Our activities include PVE exploration
PvP in Arque protecting commanders looking for Prof. Palin against gank squads.
PvP in a training group called "Fighter Club" (See my signature. No membership required)
Thargoid hunting in the Pleiades
Racing SLFs, SRVs and other vehicles in odd and remote locations
Driving SRVs into space stations...

Well you get the idea. Pretty much anything that's fun.
Join our forum thread and lend us your ideas.

Background Simulation or Powerplay?
Yes we also involve ourselves in the Background Simulation and Powerplay aspects of the game. Flipping systems for the Alliance, fighting to keep or control systems etc.

You pretty much couldn't find a more friendly bunch of commanders with an eye for fun and a taste for adventure always on the lookout for new and exciting things to try.

Come along and give us a go. Join our Discord channel or the Fighter Club thread, or you could apply on INARA where you will find our Faction page.

o7

Top Bottom