Why no particle beams?

So neutral particle beams have been around for a long time (they were considered seriously during the Strategic Defense Initiative 30 years ago), and I know they are in use in experimental Tokamak fusion reactors today. They bridge the gap between beams and ballistics in terms of energy delivery and penetrating power. It seems like they might even be appropriate as an AX weapon.

I'm sure these have been discussed before, am I missing something?

Oh, and while I'm asking about particle beams, I am also curious why there aren't different wavelength versions of lasers. Seems like some interesting gameplay mechanics could be introduced around thermal and penetration qualities of different em spectra lasers.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, and while I'm asking about particle beams, I am also curious why there aren't different wavelength versions of lasers. Seems like some interesting gameplay mechanics could be introduced around thermal and penetration qualities of different em spectra lasers.

You've not seen engineering then, where you can apply specials to adjust thermal effects, or penetration for lasers. The two specific things you've just mentioned. I'm not sure what sort of "interesting gameplay" you are inferring this could somehow add.

If by "interesting gameplay" you mean "more effective" or "better thermal management" then sure. If you mean "generates spontaneous choirs of singing space llamas" or "C-beams (that) glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate" then not so much.

Last edited:
With respect to lasers, different media respond differently when pumped by different wavelengths of light - for example the microwave oven microwaves happen to excite water molecules quite nicely, but have different effects on other media. x-rays and gamma rays are great at penetrating most media but require substantially more energy to produce. I haven't seen an explanation about ED shields, but current research on this kind of technology is related to plasma envelopes. The material (specific elements) that make up the plasma behave differently depending on the frequencies of light incident upon them. By interesting mechanics, I mean you could develop an array of different laser weapons to handle a variety of defenses, or specialize in a single frequency range (say x ray) to bypass the shields at a higher energy expense.

I am actually more interested in the particle beams though since they are a real "thing" and are completely absent form the game.

Oh, I get you, I just wasn't sure what you meant exactly. There's been a lot of nebulous "xyz is immersive and this game doesn't have it blah blah" type navel gazing that is either not related to anything actually based on science and physics and mathematics, or simply wishful thinking that's not at all actually practical.

Thanks for putting some context up. [up]

Last edited:
So neutral particle beams have been around for a long time (they were considered seriously during the Strategic Defense Initiative 30 years ago), and I know they are in use in experimental Tokamak fusion reactors today. They bridge the gap between beams and ballistics in terms of energy delivery and penetrating power. It seems like they might even be appropriate as an AX weapon.

I'm sure these have been discussed before, am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

There is this Experimental Effect for laser weapons called Inertial Impact that converts half a laser's damage to kinetic. Sounds exactly like your particle beam - though this effect is not available for actual Beam lasers. Burst though...

But since we're on the subject of Why No Weapon... why have we no weaponized Antimatter? Regenerative or not, a nice bit of antimatter would make salad of thargoids quite nicely.

With respect to lasers, different media respond differently when pumped by different wavelengths of light - for example the microwave oven microwaves happen to excite water molecules quite nicely, but have different effects on other media. x-rays and gamma rays are great at penetrating most media but require substantially more energy to produce. I haven't seen an explanation about ED shields, but current research on this kind of technology is related to plasma envelopes. The material (specific elements) that make up the plasma behave differently depending on the frequencies of light incident upon them. By interesting mechanics, I mean you could develop an array of different laser weapons to handle a variety of defenses, or specialize in a single frequency range (say x ray) to bypass the shields at a higher energy expense.

I am actually more interested in the particle beams though since they are a real "thing" and are completely absent form the game.

Whatever we shoot and call lasers, we can see the whole beam without any medium to light it and we can change its color with store purchases so I wouldn't hope for anything related to wavelengths. The pew pew mechanics as a whole are built as "this is just a game". Your bullets disappear after 3km and lose effectiveness at range with no gravity in a bloody vacuum!

Top Bottom