General / Off-Topic Wifi usage by I phones

After a relative moved in I've noticed problems with netflix, hulu, games, and other problems with buffering. After shutting everything off I can see in my router that 3 i phones constantly access the wifi network and then go back offline while they are sitting idle on the desk in front of me. What is causing this to happen and will it affect my wifi network speed and what can I do to stop it.
I can't seem to find anything on the net to explain this. Thought I'd better hit up the experts here. THX in advance for any ideas. I have a 150mb cable with 300 mps throughput to my gaming computer which sometimes drops to 144mps, I'd never seen this happen.

Maybe just, you know - don't have wifi always on by default on your phones? Don't get it why people do that. You need network - turn it on, use network - shut it off.

" After hooking an iPhone up to monitoring software, The Washington Post discovered that more than 5,400 app trackers were sending data from the device to third parties.
The scope of data collected are wide ranging, with trackers sweeping up sensitive information like emails, phone numbers, IP addresses and a user's exact location, among other things. "

"App trackers are often busiest at night, when the device owner is asleep, or at times when a smartphone isn't being used "

Sounds believeble doesn't it?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...lect-personal-data-without-users-consent.html
The Daily Mail is not the best source to quote.

However: If you have WiFi and/or mobile data switched on; your phone will receive and send data, literally 1,000s of time per day. The more you have switched to automatic, such as up-dates etc.. The worse it will be.

Example: All of your maps and location software, will be confirming 'where you are' each and every minute; of the day. The more apps, you have running. The more data etc., will be sent and requested.

I started a thread, about 'big brother listening to us'. This just covers a fraction, of what is happening; with regards to our electronic devises.

If you know how to enter the router and identify connected devices you should be able to look and see if your router supports bandwidth limiting on each individual Client via the DHCP List. Its your Domain..... dominate it like a god.

No idea what router you have but here is a guide to some.
https://www.techniquehow.com/2017/06/limit-wifi-speed.html
Or you can install a VPN (which you should do in any case, imho. I wouldn't go on the web from my own IP) and block all unsolicited outgoing traffic.

You identified the problem starting when relative moved in, so a) kick them out, or b) lower the QOS on all their devices.
BTW, I don't know if you're aware of this, but one 4k/HDR netflix stream takes a constant 30Mb/s, my old cable 30/30 service crapped the bed when I bought my new 4k tv.

Last edited:
Top Bottom