Will Eta Coronae Borealis B Go Nova?

As metatheurgist says, time in the game only passes for players and scripted events like the Thargoid narrative, so it won't happen in game.

Note: the star in question is "T Coronae Borealis", not "Eta Coronae Borealis"

T Coronae Borealis doesn't appear to be in the game, either under that name or its HIP or HD classifications - it'd be about 2500 LY from the bubble if it was, and a red giant/white dwarf pair.

The game engine only does a static galaxy, so it's not like it could do one.
They did change the bodies of a conveniently-placed procedural M-class star to match Trappist-1, so there's precedent for system data overrides being changed. It's only certain changes which can't be done due to their effect on sector mass distributions.

Things like the impending destruction of Oya demonstrate that their ability to apply scheduled changes while the game is running has improved quite a lot since the "we need a client patch to update stations" days of 1.0.

I wouldn't rule out seeing a nova in-game someday; all the precedent is there in other places that it shouldn't be impossible for them.

T CrB is 3000 lys from earth, so the nova we now see happened already 3000 years ago.
And now we can delve into general relativity, causality and FTL drives. I mean, if you want the ED galaxy to reflect real life galactic events, you'd also need to explain how we can even get to T CrB and back again without violating causality.

They introduced a few missions in the later versions. One was evacuate a station in a system that was about to go nova. The system disappeared from the map after and I think I got paid a bag of gems. Pfft! Bag of gems, I don't take them in anything other than tonnage now.

What was that? (I had a BBC Micro ....)
There was one system where the sun was about to go nova and you had to "rescue the Coriolis" which just meant you had to dock with it in a limited time and then use the galactic drive to get out of there (if you used normal jump you'd get galactic anyway so I hope you had no unfinished business in Galaxy 2)

I also had a Beeb, then an Arch, but my between my classmates there was a C64, a CPC64, and a Spectrum so we all played every version of it at some point, and the enhanced version on the Master. Arch Elite was incredible but nonetheless I stopped playing it when Dark Angel was released, because the latter had proper fizzicks (including relativity) and was also nails-hard.

Nice try, but this is a recurrent nova once every ~80 years. A true pedant would point out we missed it in 3304 and it's not due in to flare in 3310.

I would get out more, but my FSD is still on the fritz after that terrible fuel scoop incident six years ago...
It's also 2650ly away, give or take 100ly which gives some leeway on when exactly these flares happen within the system and when Frontier might choose to have this happen should they implement this system. ~3304 is just if you're observing from Earth or stars at a similar distance.

I stopped playing it when Dark Angel was released, because the latter had proper fizzicks (including relativity) and was also nails-hard.
Must be obscure, I don't see any space physics games called Dark Angel (and that's even when I filter results including "James Cameron" and "vampire" from my search)

I stopped playing it when Dark Angel was released, because the latter had proper fizzicks (including relativity) and was also nails-hard.
Maybe 'Dark Star' - I played that on Speccy and it was awesome - loading time about 4 minutes from cassette tape. If it failed, you had to rewind the tape and start again from the start.

Maybe 'Dark Star' - I played that on Speccy and it was awesome - loading time about 4 minutes from cassette tape. If it failed, you had to rewind the tape and start again from the start.
Hm. Seems like a somewhat basic shooter (by 1990s standards, anyway - I'm sure it was impressive at the time); I don't see anything that relates to physics or relativity. Maybe Markov is conflating some space shooter with Microsoft Space Simulator, which did have basic special relativity implementation and newtonian gravity, and is old enough it could have been played within a decade of discovering, say, Elite or Dark Star.

No, Black Angel was on the Archimedes. So yes, that probably does qualify as obscure, especially when I wrote "Dark" by mistake, sorry! :)

I am absolutely not talking about Dark Star.

Top Bottom