Horizons Will we finally get DX12 in November?

DX12 and Vulkan are nor pana…ceae? …ceas? They don't magically solve problems or make things look better for free. They do, however, require a lot of work and currently come, respectively, with extremely bad platform support ("Windows 10 with certain GPUs") and very immature drivers.

Much of the good stuff that's ascribed to them can be achieved by good use of DX11 already, and that will work on Windows 7 with a 4 years old graphics card even if you're beating it with compute functionality.

So: big investment, little gain. Why would anyone do that?

Quite a few games (Deus Ex springs to mind) run considerably *worse* under DX12. I'm sure it'll come, but not until it's matured a bit. Personally, I suspect they might be thinking about Vulkan - it's got better cross-platform support, which would make life a lot easier for FDev - but again, it's not quite there yet.

Patience, Grasshopper. :)

DX12 is just M$ way of getting everyone to "upgrade", but there has been little in the way of major improvements lately as GPU architecture and features have now reached a plateau. Mostly all we can do now is make things faster/more efficient.

I for one hope no-one makes a game that *requires* Windows 10. It is an instant lost sale if they do.

Last edited:
Very much doubt that. Its out in the wild, however everybody is waiting on everybody else to take the plunge so to speak.
A little tiny bit about DX12 is mentioned in this vid. https://youtu.be/A91BPapLK38
mainly to point out that uptake in gaming is slow
Flimley

Last edited:
DX12 is not trivial to implement, especially with multi-GPU scenarios. Traditional SLI/Crossfire do no longer work, the game has to natively support multi-GPU. If that is done right, it has the advantage of being able to mix&match different graphics cards, even from different manufacturers. But I have yet to see a game that actually does it right, and a as tri-SLI user I'm following that topic closely.

DX12 is not trivial to implement, especially with multi-GPU scenarios. Traditional SLI/Crossfire do no longer work, the game has to natively support multi-GPU. If that is done right, it has the advantage of being able to mix&match different graphics cards, even from different manufacturers. But I have yet to see a game that actually does it right, and a as tri-SLI user I'm following that topic closely.

^this

Implementing DX12 would require a major overhaul of the game engine. I imagine FDev has more pressing objectives.

You are more likely to see more benefit from increasingly powerful GPUs over the years.

All my friends play games with DX12 and they look amazing. Cant wait to upgrade my gaming pc to be able to play in that. [praise]
Without wanting to disappoint, 'all of your friends' are not running DX12 games unless they only play a very limited amount of games. Specifically.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_12_support

Dx12 is not going to make stuff become magically better looking or such, so yeah..Dx12 and vulkan support are both on the way last I checked, eta? unknown.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

^this

Implementing DX12 would require a major overhaul of the game engine. I imagine FDev has more pressing objectives.

You are more likely to see more benefit from increasingly powerful GPUs over the years.
It really...really..really depends on how the game engine works right now, and give how dang effective the engine is compared to many other games out there, though far from perfect, at least compared to other games, I think the Cobra engine is closer then other engines might be to be able to accept DX12 and Vulkan.
So yeah, not perfect, it has some scenario's that are weird, in terms of gpu usage, but it certainly is better then many games out there, I wouldn't count it out yet, though honestly I could imagine Vulkan support arriving before DX12.

Last edited:
DX12 and Vulkan are nor pana…ceae? …ceas? They don't magically solve problems or make things look better for free. They do, however, require a lot of work and currently come, respectively, with extremely bad platform support ("Windows 10 with certain GPUs") and very immature drivers.

Much of the good stuff that's ascribed to them can be achieved by good use of DX11 already, and that will work on Windows 7 with a 4 years old graphics card even if you're beating it with compute functionality.

So: big investment, little gain. Why would anyone do that?

Correction: Vulkan does not require Windows 10. It is platform-independent and among other operating systems also available on Windows 7. If you have an Nvidia card, chances are that Vulkan is already installed on your system.

Because of Windows 7 and 8 support, as well as easing the portability of ED to other platforms, I hope FDev will go with Vulkan instead of DX12. In any case, I do not see it happen in the near future.

Have you ever seen a game with DX11 and DX12 version? did the DX12 version look amazing compared to the DX11 version?...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Have you ever seen a game with DX11 and DX12 version? did the DX12 version look amazing compared to the DX11 version?...:rolleyes:
No they don't. They will look exactly the same unless settings are changed. DX is just an API it does not make a game look better. It can make it run faster and more effiecient, but graphical quality will not be increased because you upgrade an API

Last edited:
Quite a few games (Deus Ex springs to mind) run considerably *worse* under DX12.
This was true at first for Deus Ex, but it's not so much anymore. The DX12 preview has been updated several times and while I haven't seen anyone updating their benchmarks I personally have noticed it get much smoother.

I haven't noticed any games run worse in DX12 in their current version, whether their first release was iffy or not.

DX11 is the gamers sweet spot at the moment only time will tell if DX12 gets it's day in the sun becouse history shows us some API get supperseded before they can get a foothold. Windows 10 with it's imature driver functionality isnt helping matters.

But to sum it up, at this moment in gaming history DX11 rules supreme.

No they don't. They will look exactly the same unless settings are changed. DX is just an API it does not make a game look better. It can make it run faster and more effiecient, but graphical quality will not be increased because you upgrade an API

That's my point...

from all the online reviews I read about DX12, Vulkan and DX11 comparisons the common denominator was that the new APIs give better minimum FPS no matter what.

Of course the different API implementations look graphically all the same when the programmers try hard to do so - and in the end it's same game content and same hardware used.
Fastest Intel CPUs will not be stressed with DX11 with today's GPUs as programmers built their code for the average performance of CPUs for that 1-2 threads in D3D-11, but the basic model of how the old API works is poison for steady frame rates. It's more efficient with those new low level APIs, for VR and future development of more multi core CPUs DX12 and Vulkan are simply a must.
If we want to see ED making progress in upcoming years a switch to that tech is inevitable, for proper VR performance it is a necessity as of today.
IMHO[money]

Cobra engine will probably be updated behind the scenes first, if that does happen it will likely take place as part of another game development project, there 3rd or 4th franchise announce in there yearly report, with Elite dangerous taking advantage of Cobra new DX12 functionality at a later date.

Last edited:
Top Bottom