Wing fight vs Thargoids - analysis, tactics.

Hello Cmdr's,

the attached video is our encounter with Thargoids last night. It is a bit long and there is lots of background chat (sorry). If you dont have time to watch see the main points below. There were 5-6 of us and we tried various tactics and weapons. Ships included silent running DBS, FAS, FDL, Python with SLF, Anaconda. Weapons were mostly kinetic, packhound missiles, enforcer cannons, cannons, imperial hammer.

1. Thargs don't seem to attack initially (GREEN COLOUR lights on ship). I think the distance from the Tharg ship has somethng to do with agression level. Once I approached him below 300m he got angry (Turned RED)
2. Silent running does not make a lot of difference. Distance is the key.
2.1 My hull tanking DBS (, military heavy duty, heavy duty HRP + 1MRP) did very well for 15min taking minimal damage untill missile hit at the end (2nd swarm launched by Tharg mothership). I this moment I was not silent running. I dont know if this helped him to "lock" on me?
3. Thargs have fixed weapons. Using lateral thrusters easily avoids his line of fire.
3.1 They have ECM and can deflect missiles. Not all as some of my packhounds hit. Other Cmdrs in my wing (in bigger ships) had theirs deflected.
4. Thargoids use a lot of "reverski" maneuvers. They are trying to keep thier "head" facing you as this is the area from which they fire.
5. Thargoids do not like us to get behind them. Even with 4 pips to eng I had hard time getting behind it. It tries everything in order to face me. I think this may be important - they are obviously protecting their back for some reason, so maybe we need to aim there.
6. Swarms - can be avoided by using lateral thrusters and boost. Small ship (DBS) can even fly through the middle of the swarm avoiding thargons and taking very little damage. Swarms act as seeker missiles.
After a lot of shooting at the swarm we seemed to have reduced the size of it. Maybe the swarm took some damage. The mothership then launched a 2nd swarm towards the end of the fight...
7. Federal ships - FAS seemed to be attacked more that others . Cmdr was under the impression that Thargs opened fire on him every time they interdicted him earlier. Rest of us vere not attacked unless we provoked it. This may be completely random, or maybe the Thargs dont like the Feds (who can blame them :)

Please share any vids and ideas so we can have a discussion on best tactics vs the Thargoids.

[video=youtube_share;YL2-NZCkXoc]https://youtu.be/YL2-NZCkXoc[/video]

Top Bottom