Wireless in Quest 2

Managed to get Quest 2 working with Elite via cable but switching to wireless stops ED from seeing the headset.

Same running direct from desktop install (frontier store),steam and SideQuest. Other PC VR Games (like boneworks and squadrons) work fine wirelessly.

Anyone out there managed to get Elite to work wirelessly yet?

(To be fair playing Elite with a single usb cable running down your back (or suspended from the ceiling) is not so bad an experience as you are pretty much stationary but would be nice to lose the cable altogether)

[SOLVED see Robotlike's post below - ED 90fps running wirelessly on quest 2]

Last edited:
Are you using virtual desktop for wireless? If so make sure you launch steam and then launch steam vr from the VD control panel. Once steam vr starts use the menu button on your left controller to bring up the steam vr control panel. Then click on library to see steam games. Launch ED from there.
Also if you want inky blacks check "Increase video nominal range" in the VD streaming control panel tab. I set gamma to 118 when running ED.
enjoy

I have been using vrdesktop - I will try going through the process as described above tonight - thanks for the info, much appreciated.

The issue I had was the reprojection/asw VD uses a different route to Steam and Oculus and the upshot is you get more stutters than through cable and Oculus.

Are you using virtual desktop for wireless? If so make sure you launch steam and then launch steam vr from the VD control panel. Once steam vr starts use the menu button on your left controller to bring up the steam vr control panel. Then click on library to see steam games. Launch ED from there.
Also if you want inky blacks check "Increase video nominal range" in the VD streaming control panel tab. I set gamma to 118 when running ED.
enjoy

Working like a charm (old i7 16gb, win 10, rtx 2070, quest 2 + elite strap running wirelessly at 90fps. (Walking around the Anaconda whilst avoiding obstacles was a rather weird experience) - good bye wires.

Many thanks for the advice Robotlike - nail on the head (somebody give this man a like - it wont let me double up :) )

Last edited:
No problem. Glad it helped.
When you use link are you launching oculus or steam version ED?

I agree with the added immersion using wireless. Try selecting a ringed gas giant and engage supercuise assist while walking around the bridge. Entering orbit is an awesome experience

The Steam version (although I have linked to both Steam and Oculus).

I'll give the ringed gas giant and supercruise a go tonight although I am sure the Pilots Federation manual says something about staying in your seat during flight manoeuvres?

The Steam version (although I have linked to both Steam and Oculus).

I'll give the ringed gas giant and supercruise a go tonight although I am sure the Pilots Federation manual says something about staying in your seat during flight manoeuvres?
Also try docking on auto while standing up in front of your cockpit. But makes some people sick, like SRVs ;-)

Is Steam necessary for running ED in a Quest 2? Cable and/or wireless?
Not for cable, can’t remember if I needed it for VD, good news is you can instal both but IIRC swapping back and forth caused me controller issues. Once link was out of beta the cable quality was outstanding so I stayed on cable.

I just played Elite again, of course in VR with the Quest 2.
Man this game is amazing, but the controller setup is frustrating as hell. ;)

I had also an issue, that my XBox One Controller wasn't recognized anymore after waking up the headset from standby. Does anyone else have this issue?

I would like to know how all of you hit 3rd party sites from quest 2. I have yet to figure out while using virtual desktop/wireless.

Top Bottom