Open Play and Crime and Punishment; a Proposed Holistic Approach

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Not to be flip, but so do PvE players - and every other problem you've spent so much time and effort trying to solve (and which are still trivially bypassed/abused) ultimately stems from enough PvP players having done way too much 'defecating where they eat'.

So the PvE players largely left, and this boils down to another attempt to force them back into a playstyle they've decided to opt out of because they felt they were being denied the "enjoyable play loop" they "deserved".

The Genie is out of the bottle, the cat is out of the bag, the horse has left the barn. However you want to think of it, at this point there's no getting it back.

TL,DR: This is why we can't have nice things.
I completely agree with you that PVE players deserve meaningful game loops and the entire crux of my suggestion is that by doing this we will have a better game for both PVP and PVE players. thanks.

Do think fdev who are busy with the changes to combat payouts and mining changes, are overlooking PvP. And essentially they need to respond give the players some kind of a framework of intent or not, as the case may be. Their silence as regards to open only is astonishing

These ideas would completely change the feel of open, the actual danger on anarchy, the safety of High Sec where all but the most fanatical killers go to converse and collaborate. It would give those of us who want PVP, off and on, or even all of the time a reason to fight. A reason to chase others across the vast expanses of space, or gain a reputation and let the fight come to us!!! This system would also allow people to manage their own risk in a much more meaningful, and in universe way.

No thank you, if the gankers here want more pvp they can go elsewhere, i like doing my buisness without the constant ganking, if this will be implemented Elite will die as many will go elsewhere. Everytime i end up in open by mistake i ALLWAYS get ganked, i cant even reason with the gankers, they just laugh and say they want more salt.
besides didnt frontier say this would never be a thing, so why go on with it?
This system would heavily punish "ganking"... Why do you say it would increase it? Also, what do you care about this proposal for open if you only play in Solo?

Last edited:
I've never liked the presumption that CMDRs are being killed. CMDRs cannot die and the game doesn't even pretend they can, except for the assignment of obviously fallacious 'murder' bounties. I also don't like systems that mandate local authorities treat the actual murder of their civilians and security forces less seriously than the destruction of property of interloper CMDRs.

None of these proposals treat security states well. The current system fails to adequate distinguish one security level from another, but the changes proposed here are irrational and completely implausible. The assumption that an anarchy is dangerous because of a lack of security is as much a farce as the idea that a place with high security is that way because crime never happens. In most believable situations security is either a reactionary response to crime, or a precaution against it because of a clear threat. An area with no security doesn't imply danger nor should security forces on every corner make people feel particularly safe...in most real locales crime rates and police presence have a very strong correlation, for good reason...the police are there because the crime is (and often vice versa, because police often make things worse or degenerate into criminality themselves).

Ultimately, I see a lot of complexity, a fair bit of redundancy, for little meaningful reduction in ganking and a significant reduction in the already sketchy verisimilitude of the setting.

Players can get killed in less than 10 seconds.

It also takes five ATR vessels a lot longer than ten seconds to shoot down a combat fit medium ship that didn't neglect hull.

There are some very fundamental gameplay mechanisms that this proposal doesn't even touch on that would need to change for security forces to be able to protect anyone.

There are flaws here, but it's miles above and beyond what we currently have. And some flaws are fundamentally unfixable due to the core nature of the game, so a proposed fix shouldn't be rejected just because it doesn't fix EVERYTHING (block list, overpowered engineering in PvP, etc etc).

BGS and Powerplay stuff - Agreed 100%. If you want to have an effect on other people, play the multiplayer mode. If you want to be singleplayer, then play singleplayer. The only people this would negatively impact would be the people who want to oppose other players while opting out of being opposed themselves.

Promoting PvP stuff - ehh, I'll let the actual PvPers weigh in on that, but definitely better than what we have (nothing). The scoreboard would probably go the way of Squadron leaderboards and just be a competition in who can game the system the most, but uncapping bounties and better tools for tracking potential targets are only a good thing.

Piracy kills dropping cargo - kinda invalidates the normal piracy gameplay, but that's not the fault of the proposal. Short of getting actual tools for piracy (ways to stop a target, commodity pricing that makes it worth stealing, etc) it'll do for making piracy vaguely profitable. I'm not holding my breath on the actual fixes coming.

I don't especially like the idea of ATR being basically everywhere. Time to kill on a properly outfitted ship would be well in excess of even low-sec systems. The core problem is that the game doesn't do a good job of teaching what is a "good" level of defenses. You go from pathetic NPCs 99% of the time to a wing of engineered murderlances in a split second. Makes sense for high-sec at the least though. Definitely not low-sec.

Adding the value of the ship to a bounty, and then doubling it every subsequent kill - Y I K E S. That's insane. We're fine with the current scaling based on rebuy and notoriety, which discourages a lot of rapid kills. There are "legitimate" reasons to kill clean commanders as well - not everyone opposed to you, in BGS, Powerplay, or whatever, is going to have a bounty. I don't want to have to scrap a ship because I killed a few hostiles.

strong 7/10, with the current mechanics being a 2/10

There are flaws here, but it's miles above and beyond what we currently have. And some flaws are fundamentally unfixable due to the core nature of the game, so a proposed fix shouldn't be rejected just because it doesn't fix EVERYTHING (block list, overpowered engineering in PvP, etc etc).

BGS and Powerplay stuff - Agreed 100%. If you want to have an effect on other people, play the multiplayer mode. If you want to be singleplayer, then play singleplayer. The only people this would negatively impact would be the people who want to oppose other players while opting out of being opposed themselves.

Promoting PvP stuff - ehh, I'll let the actual PvPers weigh in on that, but definitely better than what we have (nothing). The scoreboard would probably go the way of Squadron leaderboards and just be a competition in who can game the system the most, but uncapping bounties and better tools for tracking potential targets are only a good thing.

Piracy kills dropping cargo - kinda invalidates the normal piracy gameplay, but that's not the fault of the proposal. Short of getting actual tools for piracy (ways to stop a target, commodity pricing that makes it worth stealing, etc) it'll do for making piracy vaguely profitable. I'm not holding my breath on the actual fixes coming.

I don't especially like the idea of ATR being basically everywhere. Time to kill on a properly outfitted ship would be well in excess of even low-sec systems. The core problem is that the game doesn't do a good job of teaching what is a "good" level of defenses. You go from pathetic NPCs 99% of the time to a wing of engineered murderlances in a split second. Makes sense for high-sec at the least though. Definitely not low-sec.

Adding the value of the ship to a bounty, and then doubling it every subsequent kill - Y I K E S. That's insane. We're fine with the current scaling based on rebuy and notoriety, which discourages a lot of rapid kills. There are "legitimate" reasons to kill clean commanders as well - not everyone opposed to you, in BGS, Powerplay, or whatever, is going to have a bounty. I don't want to have to scrap a ship because I killed a few hostiles.

strong 7/10, with the current mechanics being a 2/10

Fair critique. Opinions will vary but I appreciate that you gave it some thought.

1. Powerplay and BGS effects are weighted such that any effect upon these systems is 5x for activities conducted in Open only as opposed to Private Group or Solo mode. If at any time for any reason between accepting the mission or merits and turning in the mission or merits you enter any mode other than Open, you are automatically relegated to receiving the lower amount of credit.
  2. All activities should pay out 1.5x in Open mode. Mining should generate more ore. material farming should generate more mats, mission-running should pay out more credits, exploration data should pay out better, trade missions should pay out more. Every aspect of the game should pay out better in every way to incentivize this mode of play without taking away anything from those players who wish to play in Solo. They will still earn exactly the same money they make now.
Doesn’t work as long as the game’s multiplayer is still peer 2 peer. I can block any and all connection requests to and from other players, still play in Open, and have exactly 0 threats coming my way.

Given that this is a boost to earnings in Open rather than a nerf to earnings in the other game modes
Effectively the same thing.
Once opted in, you are locked to Open until that weekly cycle ends.
See above. The game’s entire infrastructure design is 180° opposed to any mode restrictions / bonuses / whatever.

Don’t get me wrong. I like the idea of a lot of the things you outline. It just can’t work. At this point there are literally 3 options for frontier:

1. status quo
2. officially making murder hoboing a bannable offense, enforcing that and dealing with the backlash (haha, as if)
3. entirely rework how the multiplayer infrastructure works (see above)

Or I guess they can also just get rid of the consequences of dying and make being ganked a minor inconvenience even for new/unprepared players. But that would be kinda boring. A world in which you don’t lose cargo/missions/data on death … ugh.

Good stuff on the whole. For me I think the thing I like the most is the stuff around system states which should always have been like this. Hell, even in the 1984 Elite you were scared to jump into an Anarchy system. In Elite: Dangerous it's meaningless, I literally never give it a moment's thought (and we even have a pre-jump HUD warning when jumping to Anarchy systems which tells us how to cancel the jump - a complete waste of time at the moment imho).

The two things I'm slightly uneasy about:

1) The idea of bonuses for all activities in Open. I totally get the idea of Open only (or incentivised) Powerplay but I feel like the "all modes are equal" tenet of the game is so central to the ED mmo design philosophy that people might begrudge that one and I can't really see Frontier going for it either. Perhaps I'm wrong.

2) The idea of the KWS being fitted to all ships. I don't really like that. I think a central part of ED ship design is that we have to make compromises and trade-offs when outfitting. Do I fit a KWS or do I fit a passenger cabin? Each profession has its selection of modules and, for bounty hunting, the KWS is pretty much the main one. If everyone has a KWS then a miner can also be a bounty hunter and I think that undermines the whole design around outfitting trade-offs.

Like I say, good stuff tho and I'm going to follow this discussion with great interest,

Good stuff on the whole. For me I think the thing I like the most is the stuff around system states which should always have been like this. Hell, even in the 1984 Elite you were scared to jump into an Anarchy system. In Elite: Dangerous it's meaningless, I literally never give it a moment's thought (and we even have a pre-jump HUD warning when jumping to Anarchy systems which tells us how to cancel the jump - a complete waste of time at the moment imho).

The two things I'm slightly uneasy about:

1) The idea of bonuses for all activities in Open. I totally get the idea of Open only (or incentivised) Powerplay but I feel like the "all modes are equal" tenet of the game is so central to the ED mmo design philosophy that people might begrudge that one and I can't really see Frontier going for it either. Perhaps I'm wrong.

2) The idea of the KWS being fitted to all ships. I don't really like that. I think a central part of ED ship design is that we have to make compromises and trade-offs when outfitting. Do I fit a KWS or do I fit a passenger cabin? Each profession has its selection of modules and, for bounty hunting, the KWS is pretty much the main one. If everyone has a KWS then a miner can also be a bounty hunter and I think that undermines the whole design around outfitting trade-offs.

Like I say, good stuff tho and I'm going to follow this discussion with great interest,
Thanks Alec, I appreciate the thoughtful feedback and completely understand that not everyone will agree with my ideas in total. Hopefully, my proposal can be a starting point from which to build upon.

Players acting as PvP bounty hunters should receive the full bounty payout for killing the offending player. If in a wing, the bounty should be split evenly between all members. This is balanced by ensuring that the player criminal who dies has to pay that entire penalty out of their own net wealth. Criminals would not be able to abuse this as a money transfer method as it's all coming from them. If they do not have the funds to pay the penalty then they should be put into debt after the liquidation of any assets owned to pay the penalty. At worst, a person gaming the system would be able to avoid paying for their crimes — but only at the expense of being reset back to a starter Sidewinder, and even then having to choose to either earn the money to pay back that debt or abandon the account and go through the process of spending all the time to unlock engineers and regain Powerplay modules, etc. Essentially, you could game this system to a very limited extent — but at great cost of your time, and those added days or weeks to rebuild a new account in which serial killers are not murdering innocent players is well worth the small subsidy by the Pilot’s Federation.

Not sure is bankrupting a player is the right way to go here if they are a murderhobo or not. Make it harder for sure but it seems a touch extreme.

ANARCHY SYSTEM: This should be VERY risky — basically think being in the worst neighborhood in your country at midnight. If any player is attacked by anyone, there will be no response. Player attacks and murders of any kind will not be reported. Going into these systems should scare any but the most brave/foolish. Even in Solo mode, you should be afraid: there should be a much greater percentage chance for highly-engineered NPC pirates (including wings) to attack you. But these should also be potentially the most lucrative systems: the biggest bounties are here, the most pristine mining rings are here, and missions to go to these systems should pay more.

I like the idea of them being lucrative but I can also see it being changed due to the BGS system of flipping the controlling faction. While some systems may be the most lucrative with rings and hotspot overlaps etc I can see groups actively targeting these systems to flip them out of anarchy so they can enjoy their bonuses and still be free from piracy. How to control the bonuses from that system seem to be quite difficult with system states changing.

I would very much like to see Powerplay and BGS be changed in favor of Open play. I would similarly like to see more players in Open to interact with each other as opposed to having a ‘ghost town’-feeling universe where the majority of players choose to play in Solo or Private Group as opposed to Open mode because of the perception (slightly mistaken though I believe it to be) that playing in Open is needlessly putting oneself at risk of being murdered consequence-free.

100% bonuses to open play BGS and Powerplay.

I agree with the idea of weighting BGS and power play rewards to open, to encourage these activities to take place in open. But in terms of PvP activity, meaningful impact on the world is still hugely biased towards PvE grind - whether or not in open. With blocking breaking instancing, instead of just comms, someone can stay in Open and get their full influence reward for their activity and simply develop a lengthy block list. Even then, still more efficient to just counter each other by grinding PvE. Any PvP engagement motivated by BGS or power play allegiance would remain a sidequest to activity because someone is interested in it, not because there's any uniquely beneficial reason to do it.

And here is why BGS and Powerplay may not work in open. The block list needs to change to comms block, not instancing block.

All in all most of this looks good, some of the technical bits may need some tweaks but I like it! Whether it happens or not (please let something happen) I'm glad for the dialogue.

This system would heavily punish "ganking"... Why do you say it would increase it? Also, what do you care about this proposal for open if you only play in Solo?

I dont play in solo, i only play in a group, and i care as the goal of this is to only have Open as a play mode

Where does Kai say that this proposal would eliminate Solo and Private in favor of Open?

This will teach me for having 2 topics going on the same time, but if more ppl come to open if the punishment for ganking fit the crime, then sure go for it, i wont attend no matter how attractive open is

First of all my individual points below are mostly just nitpicks. Your entire proposal hinges on a massive redesign of the base game, and ignores many of the technical issues with open play that would have to be solved first. I kinda of see your entire post as a stalking horse for controversial ideas which may make sense in your redesigned game, but which do not fit into the game that we all currently play. In my opinion a much more realistic approach has a better chance of being productive. Don't get me wrong, I like aspects of your imagined game, but that's all they are, imagination.

Players acting as PvP bounty hunters should receive the full bounty payout for killing the offending player. If in a wing, the bounty should be split evenly between all members. This is balanced by ensuring that the player criminal who dies has to pay that entire penalty out of their own net wealth. Criminals would not be able to abuse this as a money transfer method as it's all coming from them.

A player already has to pay their entire bounty when they die. Giving the total amount to the one who killed them results in no net loss of credits. This leaves an obvious end run around your proposed bounty system. It may not be a money transfer method, but taking turns killing your friends does completely negate the punishment factor.

Powerplay and BGS effects are weighted such that any effect upon these systems is 5x for activities conducted in Open only as opposed to Private Group or Solo mode. If at any time for any reason between accepting the mission or merits and turning in the mission or merits you enter any mode other than Open, you are automatically relegated to receiving the lower amount of credit.

This statement shows an obvious ignorance of the scope and complexity of BGS mechanics. The stated intent of the BGS is that every action a player makes has an effect on a shared universe. There is so much more involved than just missions.

Notoriety should cease to apply to players killing NPC ships. The existing system of bounties and NPC bounty hunters adequately deals with PvE crime

This statement further cements your ignorance of BGS mechanics. PvE crime has a significant effect on INF distribution. As it is now the existing system would not be able to prevent rampant use of this mechanic.

the obviously valid point of the majority of BGS and Powerplay groups that these gameplay loops were intended to be open to the wider variety of player interaction found in Open.

Your point is neither obvious nor valid when it comes to BGS. I encourage you to go back and listen to old live streams. Frontier staff have made statements that directly contradict your assumptions. The "intent" of the BGS mechanics are clearly a primarily PvE activity. I don't disagree that giving PvP players a meaningful game loop is a laudable goal. However shoehorning BGS into this role does not make sense to me. Powerplay however has PvP mechanisms built into its design, expanding on those may be a better fit for your goal.

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
One major reason I like these ideas is that they are clearly drafted with an emphasis on in-game mechanics reducing the workload for FD to implement.
The entire PvP section is new mechanics.

Hopefully, my proposal can be a starting point from which to build upon.
What I'd like to see is the C&P changes that were started to be implemented by FD, finished. The thing we had the Focused Feedback Forum on. It's already been started, it just needs to be finished.

I especially like the system state changes mentioned above, at this point in my gameplay, all systems, though they look different and offer different things, feel completely the same. I want to have a reason to give pause when transiting from one system to another, across the bubble and/or relatively short hops. Too often am I just driving through everywhere without a care in the world. For an anarchy system specifically, I WANT to have a reason to reconsider taking a more paper build through an anarchy system just to travel through, let alone to do the more mundane things like material gathering where classically, you don't NEED a ship with high survivability. I want to NEED a highly engineered ship to go somewhere dangerous with "minimal care" to do something, and not just in case I wander into a PvP encounter.
The problem is that this can never be achieved by player actions. Gankers will play the system to ruin other players game. They do not want a challenge, they are not interested in anything else than ruining other players game.

They can't do it when we play in groups they are not allowed in, so they use the forums instead.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom