Sidechat

I like thinking about all the dinos they haven't discovered yet. Imagine what lurks beneath the earth's crust. I propose a drawing competition where we imagine what they might be

I like thinking about all the dinos they haven't discovered yet. Imagine what lurks beneath the earth's crust. I propose a drawing competition where we imagine what they might be
What kinda monsters will appear?..

38e2c2ae609095199b74bbec7cac77c09d69a317r1-1280-826v2_uhq.jpg
aa3c3a18e24ff5b18f22a936f1014752.png

(These are hybrids from the Jurassic Park Chaos Effect toy line😅)

I mean between the animals living in environments that dont produce fossils, never were fossilized, havent been found there have to be so many.
I think we have found about 250,00 fossil species, but named 1,2 million living today (although experts estimate there are like 8 million alive today). Doing that math we only have found 0,31% of all animals that ever lived 😂

I mean between the animals living in environments that dont produce fossils, never were fossilized, havent been found there have to be so many.
I think we have found about 250,00 fossil species, but named 1,2 million living today (although experts estimate there are like 8 million alive today). Doing that math we only have found 0,31% of all animals that ever lived 😂
Wow!!

Not dino, but flightless pterosaur had to exist. We found already flightless birds from mesozoic. Where is this buggerr?!?!

Not dino, but flightless pterosaur had to exist. We found already flightless birds from mesozoic. Where is this buggerr?!?!
Idk if it had to honestly. Flight was alot less ressource costly for pterosaurs than it is to birds, so getting to enormous sizes didnt mean they had to sacrifice flight like in birds. So there probably wasnt as much evolutionary pressure to lose the ability to fly.
Also most flightless birds are herbivorous, which was apperently very rare in pterosaurs, so that probably played a role aswell.
I mean it probably still happend anyways, but there was alot less inticement as for birds.
Also if it happen it probably happend on some island, which means it had a very restricted range, which intern means that finding a potential fossil of it is like looking for a needle in a haystack, and you have to be lucky enought to have the fossil consist of bones that would actually show is was flightless :D
So this guy really has all the odds against him, which probably explains why we havent found one yet 😂

Last edited:
Idk if it had to honestly. Flight was alot less ressource costly for pterosaurs than it is to birds, so getting to enormous sizes didnt mean they had to sacrifice flight like in birds. So there probably wasnt as much evolutionary pressure to lose the ability to fly.
Also most flightless birds are herbivorous, which was apperently very rare in pterosaurs, so that probably played a role aswell.
I mean it probably still happend anyways, but there was alot less inticement as for birds.
Also if it happen it probably happend on some island, which means it had a very restricted range, which intern means that finding a potential fossil of it is like looking for a needle in a haystack, and you have to be lucky enought to have the fossil consist of bones that would actually show is was flightless :D
So this guy really has all the odds against him, which probably explains why we havent found one yet 😂
We were close to finding one. Morphometric analysis puts Kunpengopterus near animals such as tree kangaroos and anoles in their arboreality. Best shot for flightless pterosaur would be abroreal quadruped in rainforest type ecosystem. Sadly environment as bad for fossils as islands. 😓

Best shot for flightless pterosaur would be abroreal quadruped in rainforest type ecosystem. Sadly environment as bad for fossils as islands. 😓
Why is that?

If i had to guess id say something like tapejara or tupandactylus. They thought to be omnivorous and lived at the coasts.
So it could find itself on an island whithout any large herbivores and evolve to fill that niche. Herbivores need proportionally bigger guts since plant matter is harder to digest than meat, so it would eventually lose the ability to fly because it would get to heavy

I tried drawing digitally with a mouse for this, it's not my best work but it's decent for what it is
This is the Aquaraptor, a hypothetical duck-microraptor species I came up with.
Screenshot 2024-04-26 10.53.03 AM.png

Last edited:
kind of random, but does anyone else like to go to different zoo and aquarium sites and watch the live webcams?
the georgia aquarium and the clearwater marine aquarium have some really cool ones to check out.View attachment 390945 View attachment 390947
Yeah I've watched a few, aquarium webcams are always more lively than zoo webcams. My favourite is the monterey aquarium webcams since there is quite a few of them available. I have also tried multiple times of the giant panda webcam when the edinburgh zoo still had them but most of the time the pandas were either sleeping or not there at all.

Yeah i tried it a couple of times, but unfortunately the ones i watched rarely if ever actually had animals show up :D
Yeah I've watched a few, aquarium webcams are always more lively than zoo webcams. My favourite is the monterey aquarium webcams since there is quite a few of them available. I have also tried multiple times of the giant panda webcam when the edinburgh zoo still had them but most of the time the pandas were either sleeping or not there at all.

yeah, it's mainly the zoos for me but sometimes the animals just don't want to show up, lol. one of my friends even suspected that the dolphins knew where the cameras were and just decided to avoid them for a while 😅

Why is that?
Erosion caused by acid soils in rainforests and high decomposers activity.

Why rainforest? It kinda doesnt make sense elsewhere. We know some pterosaurs could achieve arboreality thanks to their quadrupedality and strong forelimbs, but story is different on land. Birds need strong legs to take off, which is handy tool for terrestrial locomotion. In case of going flightless said legs are good for running around quickly. Pterosaurs on the other hand had it worse due to arms being used for both flight and taking off, which resulted in weaker legs. So terrestrial pterosaur initially would be clumsy and slow on land. Perfect prey for big theropods and other pterosaurs. So it is either monkedactyl or nothing 🤪 .

I propose a drawing competition where we imagine what they might be
Anyone familiar with mononykus? They were smallish, vaguely raptor like animals and lived in the deserts of mongolia.They had very good hearing to locate insects and a single big claw to break into termite nests and dead wood to eat said insects.

So i thought it would be cute to draw a hypothetical relativ that pushed that idea further, shrinking even further in size but enlarging its claw not only to break into insect nests but also dig burrows. I imagine this being something like a burrowing owl crossed with a nacked mole rat. Gave it very small eyes since those are of no use underground and whisker like feathers instead to navigate raound. Also a really short and stocky tail to use as a thrid leg to free up its arms for digging, which it would otherwise use to knuckle walk on like an anteater since the big heavy claws and short legs made it very front heavy

IMG_20240426_180351.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom