Game Discussions Star Ship Simulator

No idea how this managed to pop into my recommended videos on YouTube yesterday, but I was very surprised to see that this thing had been in progress for over a year, never heard about it, never even knew that anyone was making it, and yet look at the detail on this thing:
Same here! I also noticed Burr has done a video on it, but I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. This definitely has my interest now, though I hope the devs provide a NPC crew for those of us who aren't into multiplayer crews. I don't want to be all alone on a giant starship like I am in Space Engineers...

Same here! I also noticed Burr has done a video on it, but I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. This definitely has my interest now, though I hope the devs provide a NPC crew for those of us who aren't into multiplayer crews. I don't want to be all alone on a giant starship like I am in Space Engineers...

The Burr video says NPCs will populate roles not being used by multiplayers - so all Johnnie-no-mates (like me) are covered. ;)

Seems to be Star Trek inspired?
I did notice some similarity in the uniforms and sometimes you get that impression by looking at the corridors. But essentially, aside from the saucer section (which appears to be the only actual section of the ship) the similarities seems to end there. Even the engine room is radically different. Apparently, no teleportation allowed; you will be taking the shuttle down to the ground. Dr McCoy would approve. 🙃

By the way, I asked on their own YouTube channel about when this game is coming out. They said the demo is out now and you can download it to try it out but the game itself is not coming out until early next year.

By the way, I asked on their own YouTube channel about when this game is coming out. They said the demo is out now and you can download it to try it out but the game itself is not coming out until early next year.
Downloading now!

I sometimes wonder if developers of these other space games get their ideas by reading forums like this one and seeing what everyone is asking for that the developers of existing games refuse to provide. This new game, in theory, should provide me the exploration experience I wish Elite had but never did, along with an amazing ship interior and NPC crew.

Will definitely be giving this demo a spin over the weekend I think. Looks interesting, especially that it's done in Unreal 5. I have my doubts as to its success tbh, though if it got picked up by a major studio and released as a proper sci-fi franchise game, like Star Trek, then there's a lot of room for it to be a major release.

Downloading now!

I sometimes wonder if developers of these other space games get their ideas by reading forums like this one and seeing what everyone is asking for that the developers of existing games refuse to provide. This new game, in theory, should provide me the exploration experience I wish Elite had but never did, along with an amazing ship interior and NPC crew.
Will it have aliens, other civilisations and wars etc? Like Star Trek :)

Will it have aliens, other civilisations and wars etc? Like Star Trek :)

This is from the game tutorial:

ava 1.jpg

So ... yes.

I just had a first play of this, only went through the first tutorial (navigation) and had to take a break to calm down.

This could be a really great game, a real space exploration experience, I do hope they don't muck it up with stupid Thargoid wars.

I just had a first play of this, only went through the first tutorial (navigation) and had to take a break to calm down.

This could be a really great game, a real space exploration experience, I do hope they don't muck it up with stupid Thargoid wars.
So there should only ever be peaceful alien beings in the galaxy? Seems optimistic. If nothing else, humans mess it up. Including with civil wars.

So there should only ever be peaceful alien beings in the galaxy? Seems optimistic. If nothing else, humans mess it up. Including with civil wars.

It doesn't say that - there are hints that diplomacy might not work. No doubt part of the game experience. (I was referring to the diversion that has spoiled my enjoyment of Elite a bit.)

Maybe you can look at the Burr video or try the demo yourself then you can see what the developers have said. (You can also play on the piano.)

It doesn't say that - there are hints that diplomacy might not work.
There's one console that allows you to set ship status to Yellow or Red alert, and another console lets you raise and lower shields, so there are definitely "hints" of defensive capabilities.

I've been playing around with this very spartan demo, and it is interesting. It has a long way to go before it is anything resembling an actual game, but I think it has promise. I guess we'll see. The promo video on Steam shows a lot more than the demo includes, so presumably the devs are farther along than the demo would imply. Anywho, here's a picture from the bridge in orbit of a random planet I flew to:

SSS01.jpg

And here's a picture from the reactor room:

SSS02.jpg

The graphics aren't super-amazing (lighting seems rudimentary), but it's good enough for me. The devs just need to finish the models (most of the ship is empty rooms) and add some proper gameplay.

This game looks interesting but I'm having trouble finding good vids on several topics.

What are the mechanics of using the star map ?
Can you land on a planet (either by shuttle or some other means) ? (I'm guessing: No)
How do you interact with new discoveries (aliens, deralict ships, anomalies, etc.) ?

Most of the vids I've found so far basically highlight the ship and its interior and crew. The ship looks nice.

Any links to vids would be greatly appreciated. (my search terms may be the problem why I'm not getting good results ... happens to me sometimes)
Have a nice day

Gameplay is easier said than done! By far the hardest thing to get right in complexity and balance.
Along with purpose and rewards. Right now this feels like a very open-ended sandbox, which can be fun for awhile, but eventually I need more than just "because" as a reason to go out and explore the stars. I can already do this in Space Engine.

Top Bottom