The final bullet in the head of the console versions of the game!!

....and by extension, PC version 3.8 of the game!

Well crap, if today's announcement isn't the final nail in the console and non 4.0 PC version of the game!!!...

That going forward CGs will only function in the currently high end PC version 4.0, only, as well as possibly all BGS and connected elements of the game (I must check!)

That's terrible and crazy, CGs are one of the most fun and engaging things in the game and they just cut out 50% or more of their playerbase!!

Hopefully when enough people complain and CG involvement drops through the floor, they change their minds!

In the name of all that is "holy", will Frontier PLEASE at least release "next gen" versions of the game on PS5 and Xbox Series X, so those of us that don't play on PC can properly play the game again!

I wasn't too bother not getting Odyssey on consoles, but now we're losing CGs too, I've very little reason to keep playing the game!

๐Ÿ˜ฏ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ก

IF there's any point, as this stage, for what it's worth, I call on everybody who reads this to protest and complain to Frontier about how they are and have been treating all but their "chosen few" on PC version 4.0 of late, and anywhere else you discuss or see Elite being discussed to reverse this decision and as said, at least release "next gen" versions of the game, even if they really want to kill off all but PC 4.0 right now! ๐Ÿ˜

There will be no 4.0 Console Version.
Or so Bruce said.

No more CGs on Legacy (3.8 Elite) version.
But it will still have it's own BGS and PowerPlay, completely separated from the 4.0 Live version on PC (but presumably shared with the Legacy 3.8 on PC)

Also, transfers will be put on hold and when they will resume they will not be as comprehensive as they are now

There will be no 4.0 Console Version.
Or so Bruce said.

No more CGs on Legacy (3.8 Elite) version.
But it will still have it's own BGS and PowerPlay, completely separated from the 4.0 Live version on PC (but presumably shared with the Legacy 3.8 on PC)

Also, transfers will be put on hold and when they will resume they will not be as comprehensive as they are now
It's all very sad, wrong and more straw on the camels' back

If things don't change back for the better soon, I'm done with this game and any future Frontier games! ๐Ÿ˜

I've seen hundreds of these threats (made some myself), and it never changes anything.
Well maybe if they get thousands (and/or more likely see their player numbers drop even lower than they have already), it'll actually make a difference this time! ๐Ÿ˜ฏ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿค˜

Well maybe if they get thousands (and/or more likely see their player numbers drop even lower than they have already), it'll actually make a difference this time! ๐Ÿ˜ฏ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿค˜
Unlikely, that's never made a difference before. Numbers would have to drop dramatically enough to arouse the shareholders. I doubt any of them actually play ED, hence the problem.

Unfortunately games (or anything else) donโ€™t go on forever. One day the servers will be shut down, even for Odyssey.
Itโ€™s natural to mourn for this loss.
Even in real world there will come times when you feel your time and effort have been for nothing.
These feelings will pass, then you can play something new.

I will continue to play Elite on my PS4 because Iโ€™m of an age where I donโ€™t want to spend my consumer credits on new hardware (not even PS5).

Iโ€™m proud to have been a part of Elite Dangerous Legacy. It has been a great achievement. Can you imagine a universe where Elite Dangerous never made it to console?

I am happy with the way this has been handled by FDev.
Iโ€™m so glad FDev shared their vision with us.

๐Ÿ™ namaste

Actually, is this (EDH3.8 or as it is now called, Legacy) not the 'offline' mode that was talked about originally and now requested more and more recently?

If you play Solo only on PS or XBox (or even PC EDH3.8) and are not bothered by interactive CG's or BGS or are always out in the black, playing YOUR OWN WAY, this is exactly what is required, instead of the AWS servers being switched off!

(Got a PS FC with all services open - topping it up with 10 years upkeep BTW just in case I leave it)

(I also tried EDH4.0 and hated graphics and UI, so back to using EDH3.8 until U14 or absolutely necessary)

Actually, is this (EDH3.8 or as it is now called, Legacy) not the 'offline' mode that was talked about originally and now requested more and more recently?

If you play Solo only on PS or XBox (or even PC EDH3.8) and are not bothered by interactive CG's or BGS or are always out in the black, playing YOUR OWN WAY, this is exactly what is required, instead of the AWS servers being switched off!

(Got a PS FC with all services open - topping it up with 10 years upkeep BTW just in case I leave it)

(I also tried EDH4.0 and hated graphics and UI, so back to using EDH3.8 until U14 or absolutely necessary)

Nope, this is not offline mode
It's the good old Horizons game, but now running completely separated from 4.0 game.
And that means: its own galaxy, its own bgs, its own pp and not at last completely separated accounts from live

As the old adage said: what you do in legacy stays in legacy

My own personal thoughts Fdev don't care . We lost a lot after Consolegate , and what happened ? . Elite was important to Fdev in the beginning but it has been slowly sinking in it's importance to frontier .
Elite is a niche game and those still around are playing because they are happyish ? With it . Numbers may not drop much more . Legacy is shelved and when the numbers drop they may well switch it off . EDO ??

Where are people even getting the idea of offline mode from this announcement? Nothing about it says offline.
I know "legacy" mode won't be offline, but it might as well be! - no access to CGs or Galnet and it won't be connected to "live" mode!

While it "will" be connected to the BGS still, it'll only be to other commanders in "legacy" mode (Playstation, Xbox and PC 3.8 players), detached from PC 4.0 players.

While it won't receive ANY new content, ships, weapons, storylines etc!

It'll just let us play the old version of the game until we get bored and how long will that take?! ๐Ÿ˜ฏ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿฉฒ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿค˜

but it might as well be
Except no because it's still passive and active multiplayer only. It depends on Frontier's servers and there is no way to play without being connected to them. Being detached from the other galaxy and not receiving any new content doesn't make it any closer to being offline.

It'll just let us play the old version of the game until we get bored and how long will that take?!
Usually takes me six months or so before getting burnt out. Happened with both Horizons and Odyssey.

๐Ÿ˜š๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿคค๐Ÿคค๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ—ฟ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ

Well, DrinkyBird, this (proposal) is as offline as offline in IT can be.
Compare old financial daily branch offline sales and ledger IT systems to recent real-time databases -

The daily sales transactions would be processed in overnight batches from each branch to update the Sales Ledger (ED Live not effected in anyway or form that day (or ever again) by ED Legacy BGS/PP updates, even though people are playing happily). i.e. not running the daily sales batch update overnight.

Real time systems almost always process the individual sales transactions as they are submitted and affect the sales ledger immediately (ED Live updated with BGS, PP, CG's, etc, AS THEY HAPPEN).

Well, DrinkyBird, this (proposal) is as offline as offline in IT can be.
Literally no it isn't.
Disconnect your device from ethernet or Wi-Fi - that is "offline as offline in IT can be".
Now try playing ED like that.

The daily sales transactions would be processed in overnight batches from each branch to update the Sales Ledger (ED Live not effected in anyway or form that day (or ever again) by ED Legacy BGS/PP updates, even though people are playing happily). i.e. not running the daily sales batch update overnight.
Real time systems almost always process the individual sales transactions as they are submitted and affect the sales ledger immediately (ED Live updated with BGS, PP, CG's, etc, AS THEY HAPPEN).
But legacy isn't processed overnight in batches. Legacy is also updated with BGS, powerplay, etc, as they happen. It's as real-time as Live mode, or as the game is now. It's just a separate database.
This is like saying WhatsApp is online and Facebook Messenger is offline - while in reality they're basically the same thing with different data and feature sets.

Last edited:
Im waiting to see what planet systems are actualy active from 3.8 player base...

Have I been fighting wars with only 3.8 players or has the system been in conflict with EDO ground combat players...
If a system faction now sky rockets to 60% in 3.8 but crashes to 12% influence in 4.0... it will finaly answer that 4.0 players with ground combat were backing other factions in the wars...

Last edited:
I was thinking, the one "good" thing about this whole legacy/live version nonsense.is that it makes it easier to frame our pleas and demands to Frontier's hearts and wallets that they, "Release Elite Dangerous Live on Next Gen consoles!"

We can make it a banner and slap it anywhere their and Elite players ' eyes may land, rather than having to ask for the full game with Odyssey or version 4.0 etc (particularly once that version is patched and become 5.0 etc!).

(While of course not only releasing "love" mode and the game natively on PS5 and Series X, but also optimising it so it'll run on lower end PCs and MAYBE "God" forbid, on "last gen" consoles, even if it's only in a limited capacity, if at all!)

So again, say it, CHANT it after me, "Release Elite Dangerous Live on Next Gen consoles!" ๐Ÿ˜ฏ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿค˜

I was thinking, the one "good" thing about this whole legacy/live version nonsense.is that it makes it easier to frame our pleas and demands to Frontier's hearts and wallets that they, "Release Elite Dangerous Live on Next Gen consoles!"

We can make it a banner and slap it anywhere their and Elite players ' eyes may land, rather than having to ask for the full game with Odyssey or version 4.0 etc (particularly once that version is patched and become 5.0 etc!).

(While of course not only releasing "love" mode and the game natively on PS5 and Series X, but also optimising it so it'll run on lower end PCs and MAYBE "God" forbid, on "last gen" consoles, even if it's only in a limited capacity, if at all!)

So again, say it, CHANT it after me, "Release Elite Dangerous Live on Next Gen consoles!" ๐Ÿ˜ฏ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿค˜
I think I prefer "love" mode. Oooooh yeah ;)

Top Bottom