Did FDev really say like it or lump it about the Thargoid War?

Then what? If it's none of those it has to be something else.
The players rally and defeat the enemy after heavy losses through natural gameplay. Or the players don't* rally and the Thargoids destroy the Bubble through natural gameplay. Either way, I'm hoping Frontier is being truthful when they say this is a winnable or losable war, all depending on organic gameplay.

* edit - forgot this most important word!

Last edited:
The players rally and defeat the enemy after heavy losses through natural gameplay. Or the players rally and the Thargoids destroy the Bubble through natural gameplay. Either way, I'm hoping Frontier is being truthful when they say this is a winnable or losable war, all depending on organic gameplay.
I think trashing the galaxy would be a collosal mistake, so I'm rather hoping they're not truthful about it being possible. It's not as if Frontier will have taken their hands off the reins anyway - look at it from the other point of view, if the players are stronger than expected are they going to allow all this content to fizzle out fairly quickly?

It's my point about making the stakes too high really, not a good move. Being able to have some significant impact == good move on the other hand, which is why I might head back to the Bubble at some point.

Xzanfr should love this update, because it might finally allow his greatest wish to come true - the destruction of Obsidian Orbital!

I do find it ironic, however, that the same person who demanded Obsidian Orbital be removed from the game because the person it's named after had some negative commentary about the game is now himself sharing negative commentary... And I never thought I'd see the day when he would actively promote X4!

Strange times we live in, strange times..
I've been playing the X games for nearly 20 years!
They're great companions, all the poor elements from ED are significantly better in X4 and vice versa.

And don't fret, I've entered myself in the TOME.

It's a 50/50 marketing shot. You'll possibly bring new people excited about the alien fighting into the game and rejuvenate older players into the gameplay, while you anger some who never were interested in that form of gameplay that could possibly force its way into their area. It's business.
Thus far not seen anyone on my friends list return and I've been here since beta.

A good thing to remember might be Distant Worlds 2 - massive exploration expedition, largest fully-player-organised event in the game by a big margin, took several thousand players away from the bubble for months. It took place at the same time as some of the initial Thargoid raids on the bubble after 2.4, and before it happened, there was a lot of talk about how the bubble was doomed because everyone was going on DW2.

It made no difference whatsoever. There was a minor dip on a couple of indicators of player activity, barely visible if you knew what to look for - and a more obvious rise in long-range exploration activity, of course - but if (somehow!) DW2 had been held in secret and they'd not told anyone else that they were going? No-one would have noticed they were gone.
A good thing to bear in mind is the venn diagram of people that like to go on long range exploration expeditions, and people that like to do AX combat.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if distant ganks pulled more out of the pool of endgame combat players than distant worlds did, despite being a fraction of the overall numbers.

I have a feeling that if the bubble does start to burn then Ram Tah and Palin will come up with new weapons which will help push back the Thargoid threat
This. It is not like FDev wasn't rigging things before into the direction they wanted. It'll be "due to tremendous effort of independent pilots bringing in exobio-scans", that there will be new and improved weapons to better counter the thargoids. Corrosion-resistant armor, Salvation-tech based uber-gauss canons, automatic EMP and lightning attack defenses. They will get more powerful the less we players do the war grind, I'd guess.

If the Thargoid forces are now controlled by an AI in the game, that's brilliant. In that case I tip my hat at Fdev. Would that include fighting style and strategy of the Thargoid ships? Is something like that even possible?
That's two different meanings of "game AI" there.

There's a strategic-level routine which is roughly like a Powerplay command team - deciding which systems to prepare, which to fortify, etc. - but with the advantage that its minions do as it says.

There's also the AI routines determining how the Thargoid ships fly in combat. I doubt the strategic-level routine is functioning in a context where it can reasonably affect that.
(And while it's technically possible that it could, it likely wouldn't gain very much by doing so unless Frontier had managed to write multiple distinguishable but effective combat AIs for the scouts and interceptors)

This. It is not like FDev wasn't rigging things before into the direction they wanted. It'll be "due to tremendous effort of independent pilots bringing in exobio-scans", that there will be new and improved weapons to better counter the thargoids.
I'm pretty sure that - while there may be new weapons - that's not really what's needed to make a difference in the direction of the war. There's only so dead any individual Thargoid can get, and the existing weapons can already deal with most of them.

This. It is not like FDev wasn't rigging things before into the direction they wanted. It'll be "due to tremendous effort of independent pilots bringing in exobio-scans", that there will be new and improved weapons to better counter the thargoids. Corrosion-resistant armor, Salvation-tech based uber-gauss canons, automatic EMP and lightning attack defenses. They will get more powerful the less we players do the war grind, I'd guess.
It'll have to be tweaked somehow by Frontier. They'll have had a guess to try to place Thargoid strength where they want it but without trying it out in the real game it'll just be a guess at whether they've pitched it right for the direction they hope things will go. If it's slightly off they might just leave it, if it's too far off it'll need balancing, like every feature always does.

There's a strategic-level routine which is roughly like a Powerplay command team - deciding which systems to prepare, which to fortify, etc. - but with the advantage that its minions do as it says.
It was my assumption that this was what Frontier was talking about, which still is pretty impressive IMO.

I'm pretty sure that - while there may be new weapons - that's not really what's needed to make a difference in the direction of the war. There's only so dead any individual Thargoid can get, and the existing weapons can already deal with most of them.
This is true, but the current weaponry needs some skill to master. This is not what the majority of players will want to do. The key is to bring everyone in on the war, and for that they'll have to lower the entry barrier. This is something they already admitted to be doing, by the - mostly pathetic - AX weapon buffs. If not enough people grind the war, FDev will make it more attractive by lowering the bar even more. Imagine that you don't have to care about the interceptor dance anymore, just point and shoot... that would bring more people in.

None of it matters. This Thargoid War is glitchy as all hell. We lose a week on timers in just 1 day. Odyssey pushed so hard on us that we lost the console base and there isnt a single damn thing to do on foot for the war effort. All concourses are closed. Denying us any Quality of life improvements that the new code base was meant to make easier to implement. Wack! Let the Thargoid AI win. Just think, when they finally take over all human controlled space we will log in one day and get a "Game Over" screen.

Trying not to be on a high horse or anything but since the game launched there's been nothing but "It's a mile wide and an inch deep."

Just found out where the continental shelf dropped off, huh? Yeah, we all did.

The game has always been "What you do affects the game." Well, affect the game. Or don't. There is no try. The mysterious "Developers," those shadowy figures that seem to manipulate the Galaxy (and probably the very fabric of the universe you inhabit) have decided it is time to see just how badly we want to keep it "ours" or let "them" take control of it. Maybe that'll determine what the next version of Elite will turn into.

I'm not that great of a combat pilot. I'm more of a hauler. But I can haul for humanity just as well as I can for the Princess. I'll do my part.

"Over? Over?? NOTHING is over until WE decide it's over!!! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

"Pearl Harbor?"
"Forget it. He's rolling"

"And it ain't over now! Because when the going gets TOUGH...The TOUGH get going! Who's with me???!!!"

Top Bottom