Did FDev really say like it or lump it about the Thargoid War?

The key is to bring everyone in on the war, and for that they'll have to lower the entry barrier.
Why? You imply everyone must become a combat pilot ace, which is not the case. The war will depend on a great many things, most of which don't require any weapons (missions, rescues, supply runs, etc). There's plenty of stuff for new pilots to do to support the war effort.

Why? You imply everyone must become a combat pilot ace, which is not the case. The war will depend on a great many things, most of which don't require any weapons (missions, rescues, supply runs, etc). There's plenty of stuff for new pilots to do to support the war effort.
I still think it should be made easier for casuals, especially in such a special situation.
Not everyone wants to grind for guardian gauss or learn to shoot them.

The ingame Thargoid threat can't really be taken seriously until an important system is incontrovertibly destroyed. An important engineering system, along with the engineer... destroyed. Or equivalent. something that changes basic player gameplay. Gone. Permanently. An indication that the war threat is actually serious and that FDev is prepared to alter the game environment based on player actions.

This might happen, don't know. But until that happens its just a story with some cinematics.

Last edited:
Face it Fdev is trying to force you into Thargoid combat or the bubble will burn up and it’s all your fault.

I never cared about Thargoid combat and typically will do different things in Elite as the mood fits.

And in over 7 years of playing Elite only done Thargoid hunting twice with friends.
After doing so my friends and myself just didn’t care to do it again, don’t know why we lost interest.

What will happen after a couple of weeks when the novelty wears off, I guess the bubble will just burn up.

This is true, but the current weaponry needs some skill to master. This is not what the majority of players will want to do. The key is to bring everyone in on the war, and for that they'll have to lower the entry barrier. This is something they already admitted to be doing, by the - mostly pathetic - AX weapon buffs. If not enough people grind the war, FDev will make it more attractive by lowering the bar even more. Imagine that you don't have to care about the interceptor dance anymore, just point and shoot... that would bring more people in.
I'm not great at combat, and since I've never been very interested in PvP I'll probably remain not great at combat - but a situation that's very much encouraging me to try to develop some skills sounds interesting.

I do think it's inevitable that we'll get some better anti-Thargoid stuff though. It would be strange in-universe if we didn't, that a lot of in-universe effort wasn't put in to trying to develop them as fast as possible in response.

I still think it should be made easier for casuals, especially in such a special situation.
Why guardian weapons aren't readily available is just stupid at this point.

If you want even the casual player getting involved, let players get the kit for the job and screw the stupid grind.

I saw somebody yesterday saying this is a way for Fdev to kill off the game hahaha imagine that! 'Sorry lads, better start looking for a new job, that Thargoid war is finishing ED off', seriously :LOL:
:ROFLMAO:

Oh you'll never see me argue in favor of grind. The only reason I own Guardian weapons is because it was a reward for a fun CG. On the other hand, if a "casual" can easily down a Thargoid, well that doesn't make them Thargoids very scary, now does it.

BTW - I've never killed any Thargoid bigger than a scout, yet I'm excited for this war. If I ever get around to downloading 4.0, I don't see that changing. I'd much rather support the war effort in one of the other aforementioned career paths. And I definitely don't want to see Thargoids dumbed down so silly 'ol me can kill them with ease. I actually like the idea of being terrified of something other than a ganker and needing to get out of Dodge rather than just easily kill it like everything else in this game.

Haven't played for a while, so i 'm not up to speed with Thargoid combat and all. But i read that you can do a lot with the new plots without doing combat. Trading, rescue missions, evacuations. Used to do a bunch of that and really enjoyed them whenever there was a bug attack back in the days. So ... i have to get used to Horizons 4. first.....

If you look at the isolated statement, you are right. But it was in context of the war not turning out as planned because not enough players participate in the grind and as a consequence the AI is going rampant and destroys the whole bubble. If that happens, FDev will lower the bar to make it easier to fight back. I'm pretty sure the promise of "every action counts" is just typical empty FDev talk, in the end the combat will count the most.
As long as we do what they want (throwing everything at the war), they will keep on with the tides. As soon as we don't "play by the rules", they will change it. I guess this is now what the game is about. The "meta-game", so to say.

The ingame Thargoid threat can't really be taken seriously until an important system is incontrovertibly destroyed. An important engineering system, along with the engineer... destroyed. Or equivalent. something that changes basic player gameplay. Gone. Permanently. An indication that the war threat is actually serious and that FDev is prepared to alter the game environment based on player actions.

This might happen, don't know. But until that happens its just a story with some cinematics.
The trickiest thing might be getting players to test it. So long as it's possible to defend systems - and it seems to be possible to protect at least a couple of carefully selected ones even now - Frontier are highly unlikely to get put in the position where they have to prove they're serious.

If you view Elite Dangerous as a space combat sim, then the Thargoid war is your dream come true.

If you view Elite Dangerous as an open sandbox spaceship flying sim in a 1:1 recreation of the Milky Galaxy, a game where you play the way YOU want, then the Thargoid war is a major source of concern.

I don’t do combat, at all. I trade, mine, transport passengers, explore, and now in Odyssey also do Exobiology. I put up with pirates. Having no combat rank, the pirates I encounter are low ranked and easily evaded.

I play to relax and enjoy the sights. I have no desire or interest in conflict or killing things. I’ve been happily playing Elite in this style since 3303.

So the question is, can I still “play the way I want”?

Answer: Maybe.

As long as the Thargoid activity areas are accurately indicated on the Galaxy map, and the front lines don’t change drastically from week to week, I should be able to successfully play my way while navigating outside of and well clear of the conflict. All my ships are on my FC so it’s easy to move my area of operation if needed.

I’m willing to give it a go and see how the game play develops. Only time will tell if I’m still having fun.

Personally, I think the Bubble is already screwed, and it's going to burn anyway.

No one has been able to beat either of the 3 Maelstroms yet, and there's 5 more on the way....

I've seen people in these forums speculating that there already isn't enough active players to beat all 8.

Not unless FD drives the narrative forward with CG's aimed at beating them.

"Pilots Federation is calling on pilots to deliver supplies to the newly reformed Aegis for anti thargoid research. Or turn in combat bonds from destroying Thargoids attempting to intercept deliveries....."

That sorta thing.... Then the end result of that CG is either Aegis developed some new super AX weapon for our ships... Or the Thargoids stop their research efforts and blow up their research facility.

I'm also wondering if this might lead to some spectacular Guardian discovery. We know the Thargoids fought them.

Raxxla is rumored to be within, what is it, 100 - 200 ly from Sol?

I think it's safe to argue the Thargoids know where it is, and since they now consider us a more serious threat....

They're going to try to keep us from finding it.

Maybe one of the Maelstrom's will end up settling near it?

Last edited:
Oh god were it that were true! Imagine if they'd done a less than simplistic BGS sim. Imagine if BGS levers actually affected this stuff. Imagine if supporting different factions actually made changes in production or population health or military readiness or any number of other different things. Then imagine PP was a strategic layer over that that was providing overall goals that affected the galaxy in meaningful ways. Then imagine Thargoids could just be inserted into this grand design and you could do all the things you'd already been doing for years playing factions and the BGS to fight them as if they were just another Power but one with different strategic goals than human powers.

Imagine....

Why guardian weapons aren't readily available is just stupid at this point.

If you want even the casual player getting involved, let players get the kit for the job and screw the stupid grind.
While they're supposed to be "special" and should require a grind for some reason, when a war breaks out and you get drafted into a war with "them" does the military tell you that you're required to spend hours running here and there for pieces of stuff in order to get the weapons needed to fight "them" or do they just fit the weapon in your hand (or in this case, on your ship) and point you towards the enemy?

I think, considering the dire straits we find ourselves in, the "special" weapons (all of them) need to be made available for purchase without grinding. There's a war on, you know.

While they're supposed to be "special" and should require a grind for some reason, when a war breaks out and you get drafted into a war with "them" does the military tell you that you're required to spend hours running here and there for pieces of stuff in order to get the weapons needed to fight "them" or do they just fit the weapon in your hand (or in this case, on your ship) and point you towards the enemy?

I think, considering the dire straits we find ourselves in, the "special" weapons (all of them) need to be made available for purchase without grinding. There's a war on, you know.
And just like real life, the government is not giving the best stuff available... they're giving minimum standard that gets the job done. Up to you to make your job easier. There are weapon module blueprint locations that only take 3 minutes to get your blueprint. that's 20 different blueprints in an hour.

adding in the obilisk scanning and other materials will be a few more hours.... to be fair. but still not hard work and can be done in one day.

Top Bottom