Update 1.14.1 is available now!

It is a big deal as Malayan tapir is a beautiful animal
Oh, I totally agree with you there. But this is also just a game. For me, the model isn't bad enough to be immersion breaking.
I realise I am probably being hypocritical here as I myself have voiced concerns over other animal models in the past, and of course critisism is fine. But I just don't see the need to keep on and on complaining about the tapir on every new update/DLC thread. Frontier must be aware of the feedback by now. They will either fix it or they won't.

Last edited:
It is a big deal as Malayan tapir is a beautiful animal
its a shame that even older games got the shape, posture and movement right..

1688747671661.png

1688747683097.png

1688747711755.png

1688747689072.png

Thanks for the update! Any word on the flickering porcupine?
With the 1.14.1 my Porcupine doesn't flicker anymore, i thought there was a shadow fix or it was related to the Scenery problem in the patch notes, guess i was just lucky. Have you checked the Porcupine after the 1.14.1?

On a different note. Has anybody heard the somali wild ass braying in game yet?
I was really looking forward to hearing donkey brays in my zoo, as Frontier's animal sounds are usually phenomenal, but mine don't seem to be doing it!
Not ready to build for them yet, but I'd really like a Dev comment on that or a player comment IF they heard them braying. I was also looking forward to the sound and think it's vital with this animal.

The Malayan tapir is a literal texture swap, people are in their entire right to ask for a bare minimum of effort in content they paid for. Nothing to be grateful about.
Well to be honest, a reskin of a very similar animal is the bare minimum of effort. Most can't even tell what one major problem is with the tapir outside these hyper-realism groups.

Well to be honest, a reskin of a very similar animal is the bare minimum of effort. Most can't even tell what one major problem is with the tapir outside these hyper-realism groups.
So the "hyper-realism groups" (inaccurate by the way) should be discounted?

I seriously don't think a lot of you understand the difference between the Malayan tapir and other reskinned animals. This isn't a case of "it looks wrong", such as with the striped hyena or black rhinoceros, it's a case of "this animal was never actually finished". It is literally - literally - just the Baird's tapir with a new coat of paint. The Arctic wolf got better treatment than that and nobody even wanted it. The Malayan tapir was a popular choice that people were excited for and turned out to be a wasted slot. The model between the Baird's and Malayan tapirs hasn't been adjusted at all.

Nobody wants it to be "hyper-realistic", they just want it to be finished. It's a half-job. They put the skin on and forgot to make the minor physical adjustments that make this species unique to its 40,000 years separated South American cousins.

So the "hyper-realism groups" (inaccurate by the way) should be discounted?

I seriously don't think a lot of you understand the difference between the Malayan tapir and other reskinned animals. This isn't a case of "it looks wrong", such as with the striped hyena or black rhinoceros, it's a case of "this animal was never actually finished". It is literally - literally - just the Baird's tapir with a new coat of paint. The Arctic wolf got better treatment than that and nobody even wanted it. The Malayan tapir was a popular choice that people were excited for and turned out to be a wasted slot. The model between the Baird's and Malayan tapirs hasn't been adjusted at all.

Nobody wants it to be "hyper-realistic", they just want it to be finished. It's a half-job. They put the skin on and forgot to make the minor physical adjustments that make this species unique to its 40,000 years separated South American cousins.
I agree and disagree, we focus way too much on this one animal when so many other base game animals need the same treatment.

I agree and disagree, we focus way too much on this one animal when so many other base game animals need the same treatment.
I think the difference is that the base game animals were stylistic choices rather than just being wrong.

And the Malayan tapir isn’t a base game animal - it is a DLC animal and - overwhelmingly - the DLC animals have been outstanding. So there’s no excuse for a poorly executed tapir that isn’t to the same standard of the other animals we have seen post-base game.

And thirdly - the dhole and binturong from the same DLC were changed leaving the lack of action on the tapir even more conspicuous.

With the 1.14.1 my Porcupine doesn't flicker anymore, i thought there was a shadow fix or it was related to the Scenery problem in the patch notes, guess i was just lucky. Have you checked the Porcupine after the 1.14.1?
I am traveling again so won't be able to check anytime soon. Would love if more people that have it could check.

I am traveling again so won't be able to check anytime soon. Would love if more people that have it could check.
Not directly related to the porcupine but I'm still getting texture flickering since the update, I'm assuming both have roots of the same problem. Support did tell me it has been passed to the devs for investigation.

I don't think the situation here has anything to do with hyperrealism. The two animals are visually distinct enough to have separate models and animations, much more so than the two brown bears, tigers, wolves, etc. If someone can't tell the differences in shape between the two tapirs to the point they aren't bothered by the in-game Malayan tapir (not pointing the finger at you, just see this pov around here a lot), then that means they are simply not well educated on tapirs enough, because the differences are clear as day. Even the pictures of Malayan tapir models shared on this page, from other games, as well as the PZ ones, are enough to show how ridiculous the situation is.

The in-game props of the Malayan tapir next to the actual model is also a good reference point (if someone can post screenshots it will be appreciated). The situation here is probably worse than giving leopards and jaguars the same model, with different coat patterns, but if that was the case people would have lost it, simply because big cats matter to them more or their eyes are trained to see their differences better. I doubt the term hyperrealism would have been used in that situation.

Top Bottom