Update 1.14.1 is available now!

Did I also ever mention the purple hue problem on the tapir is literally a value typed wrong in the fur material file? They typed 0.616 instead of 0.516 (0.5 would be the base value) on the hue parameter thus causing the severe color change. It's just a value. Fixing it is just typing a 5 instead of a 6, and they can't be bothered to even do that. It's crazy.

Iguanas for habitats used to be requested fairly often but then an article showed up that kind of shot that idea down. It was disappointing to many but it at least confirmed that this request had been seen. And now I don't see this being asked for much anymore.
Im still begrudging that one.
Its nice to know that they have seen the request and dont plan on fullfilling it, but still #FreeTheIguana still burns strong for me.
Mods thankfully got us coverd but its still a bummer when freeing them could easily help with the unbalance of the game

how else can something that can be fixed under half a second be explained otherwise?
Usually just other work taking up the time. It happens all the time.

I remember a bug I fixed once that was a mere typo (succes instead of success) which was the cause of an icon not being shown somewhere. Because it was a tiny thing that didn't have any serious impact on the application, it was pushed to the back of the backlog and once I finally had a moment to get to that ticket and fix that bug, a year and a half had passed since the bug got reported in our system. (Yes, I wasn't proud of that bug and yes I've installed a code-spell-checker ever since 🙈 )

Usually just other work taking up the time. It happens all the time.

I remember a bug I fixed once that was a mere typo (succes instead of success) which was the cause of an icon not being shown somewhere. Because it was a tiny thing that didn't have any serious impact on the application, it was pushed to the back of the backlog and once I finally had a moment to get to that ticket and fix that bug, a year and a half had passed since the bug got reported in our system. (Yes, I wasn't proud of that bug and yes I've installed a code-spell-checker ever since 🙈 )
that's sort of the point i'm trying to make
resources channeled into pz or number of people working on issues is clearly not enough
the devs are obviously very passionate about this project but it feels like they have their hands tied

I think Frontier would legit be better off outsourcing some of this work to members of the Planet Zoo community.

I can name 10 people who I think would make an amazing team for such a project. Have them resolve gripes, maybe even remaster animals, or even add new features for updates

I think Frontier would legit be better off outsourcing some of this work to members of the Planet Zoo community.

I can name 10 people who I think would make an amazing team for such a project. Have them resolve gripes, maybe even remaster animals, or even add new features for updates
That would make Frontier liable for any issues these "outsourced workers" create. It would also mean putting these people on the payroll with contracts.

That would make Frontier liable for any issues these "outsourced workers" create. It would also mean putting these people on the payroll with contracts.
Iirc, other companies did it before so it can't be a titanic effort

Also I know Frontier outsourced stuff for PZ before

Last edited:
Also I know Frontier outsourced stuff for PZ before
Yeah but that's oursourcing to a company, that's apples and oranges 😅

that's sort of the point i'm trying to make
resources channeled into pz or number of people working on issues is clearly not enough
the devs are obviously very passionate about this project but it feels like they have their hands tied

Yeah, what I was trying to say is that this is just the way things go when you develop software of any kind. Regardless of the scale of your project, you'll always end up having to prioritize between things.

Yeah but that's oursourcing to a company, that's apples and oranges 😅

Yeah, what I was trying to say is that this is just the way things go when you develop software of any kind. Regardless of the scale of your project, you'll always end up having to prioritize between things.
I think it could still work. Collaboration of this kind has been done before so the precedent is there.

prioritisation, yes, every project no matter scale will need some things prioritised over others
but the case with frontier or at least pz is a bit of an extreme example imo
i cant think of another game where there is so much great work and creativity put into but also has so much oversight and simple to fix errors
this tells me there is something off in balance of finances and profit expectations
so i will stand by my initial thought, it feels like corporate is tying devs hands too much..
like you can aim for 800% profit instead of 850% and get rid of a lot of these mistakes
looking at financial reports tells me they aim too much for extreme profits
what's interesting is, that small 50% difference will probably make sure the game will have longer lifespan and more profit in long run
but people in charge apparently prefer the short term advantage and everybody loses in long run

but the case with frontier or at least pz is a bit of an extreme example imo
But that is what I was trying to say, the example I mentioned earlier was to show that it isn't really an extreme case at all. 😅 These kind of small non breaking bugs* always end up going to the end of the backlog because there are bigger bugs or more important features that require your time. It has happened with literally every project I've ever worked on regardless of how much freedom we got as devs, it's just the way things go when you work on bigger projects.

I'm not saying that the corporate side of things couldn't be tying the devs too much or that they couldn't be focusing too much on profits; I'm saying that the conclusion you draw simply cannot be drawn from the fact that a smaller bug like this isn't tackled yet. It's just a side-effect of working on these big and complex projects. 🤷‍♂️

*( I am aware that for some people this bug is not a small non breaking bug and it is game breaking, but in terms of development this wouldn't be considered a breaking bug)

But that is what I was trying to say, the example I mentioned earlier was to show that it isn't really an extreme case at all. 😅 These kind of small non breaking bugs* always end up going to the end of the backlog because there are bigger bugs or more important features that require your time. It has happened with literally every project I've ever worked on regardless of how much freedom we got as devs, it's just the way things go when you work on bigger projects.

I'm not saying that the corporate side of things couldn't be tying the devs too much or that they couldn't be focusing too much on profits; I'm saying that the conclusion you draw simply cannot be drawn from the fact that a smaller bug like this isn't tackled yet. It's just a side-effect of working on these big and complex projects. 🤷‍♂️

*( I am aware that for some people this bug is not a small non breaking bug and it is game breaking, but in terms of development this wouldn't be considered a breaking bug)
my last comment wasn't about this particular one bug, i am looking at things from a bigger perspective
the game is full of things like this, almost as if there is no quality control
yes maybe we can't draw this conclusion by just a few examples, but this is a defining pattern for pz
something i haven't seen anywhere else to this extent (for successful and long lasting creative projects)
like if you ask me for two traits to define frontier games i would say "highly artistic/creative/groundbreaking" and "oversight galore"
these two things define their dev practises for me
it makes you sad to see such a great game constantly suffer from small errors like this, like pz and devs don't deserve it
if it can be fixed by a small budget adjustmant, it would make everyone happy, not just players and devs
even corporate will be happy i think, bc i know so many ppl who quit because they were annoyed by details like these
and if less people quit or give breaks, the longer lifespan and financial success with more dlc

my last comment wasn't about this particular one bug, i am looking at things from a bigger perspective
the game is full of things like this, almost as if there is no quality control
yes maybe we can't draw this conclusion by just a few examples, but this is a defining pattern for pz
something i haven't seen anywhere else to this extent (for successful and long lasting creative projects)
like if you ask me for two traits to define frontier games i would say "highly artistic/creative/groundbreaking" and "oversight galore"
these two things define their dev practises for me
it makes you sad to see such a great game constantly suffer from small errors like this, like pz and devs don't deserve it
if it can be fixed by a small budget adjustmant, it would make everyone happy, not just players and devs
even corporate will be happy i think, bc i know so many ppl who quit because they were annoyed by details like these
and if less people quit or give breaks, the longer lifespan and financial success with more dlc
I agree. It's why I proposed what I did

Wouldn’t the fandom constantly bringing it up show the devs that is a issue that the community finds higher priority though?

Wouldn’t the fandom constantly bringing it up show the devs that is a issue that the community finds higher priority though?
If I'm honest, this is the only place I ever see people still bringing it up. Outside of the forums, the majority of people seem to have let it go.

If I'm honest, this is the only place I ever see people still bringing it up. Outside of the forums, the majority of people seem to have let it go.
That’s not really scientific though, is it? And even if no one else is bringing it up, it doesn’t mean they are happy or accepting of the situation.

That’s not really scientific though, is it? And even if no one else is bringing it up, it doesn’t mean they are happy or accepting of the situation.
There's no way to do it scientifically, we both know that ;P The other way around as well.

Either way, like it or not, it's clear that Frontier considers the issue to be non game breaking. If they did, it would have been fixed by now 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom