Xbox ceases xbx one game development

With space experience I meant space ships, other worlds in space and building outposts on moons in space, weird that you couldn't see that.

SW Kotor and Mass Effect both had space ships and other worlds/moons in space.

As i said, IMO,. for a space game to compare to ED it has to allow proper interplanetary spaceflight and to have a proper flight model.
NMS does no qualify for example.
And from what i've seen, Starflight is completely missing the seamless flight planetary surface transition.

SW Kotor and Mass Effect both had space ships and other worlds/moons in space.

As i said, IMO,. for a space game to compare to ED it has to allow proper interplanetary spaceflight and to have a proper flight model.
NMS does no qualify for example.
And from what i've seen, Starflight is completely missing the seamless flight planetary surface transition.
The spaceflight in NMS is the game's weakest point imo but although I like the game a lot the lack of realistic feel prevents me in getting that real space adventure vibe.
We don't know yet how extensive the spaceflight part in Starfield will be but the combat looked okay to me personally, being able to dock with enemy vessels and take them over looks very cool imo.
For me personally I think that Starfield might offer me more of what I like in a space oriented game then ED ever did, Ed's spaceflight is second to none but that's where it ends for me really, there isn't all that much to do besides fly, fight, haul and upgrade your ships, Odyssey isn't appealing in any way and half baked IMHO.

I could be totally wrong and Starfield won't be as good as they make me believe but the showcase looks very promising at the least.

I could be totally wrong and Starfield won't be as good as they make me believe but the showcase looks very promising at the least.

I'm not debating if Starfield will be good or bad - it may go either way.
But, for me at least, it wont be an Elite replacement.
It will be a game that i may or may not play - as a reference, i never finished skyrim... somehow it managed to lose me somewhere midway...

The spaceflight in NMS is the game's weakest point imo but although I like the game a lot the lack of realistic feel prevents me in getting that real space adventure vibe.
We don't know yet how extensive the spaceflight part in Starfield will be but the combat looked okay to me personally, being able to dock with enemy vessels and take them over looks very cool imo.
For me personally I think that Starfield might offer me more of what I like in a space oriented game then ED ever did, Ed's spaceflight is second to none but that's where it ends for me really, there isn't all that much to do besides fly, fight, haul and upgrade your ships, Odyssey isn't appealing in any way and half baked IMHO.

Starfield is running on a slightly modified version of the same engine Skyrim and Fallout 4 ran on, the spaceflight will be arcade-y at best, but it isn't and has never claimed to be a flight simulator. One of the main reason I don't understand people comparing it to Elite constantly, "space" isn't a game genre.

I have to be clear, I'm not hating on Starfield, I will probably play through it multiple times before it ends up on my archive hard drive with the rest of my bethesda games.
But it's literally going to be Fallout 4 in a space setting. That's all the engine is capable of. That's not a bad thing, but some people seem to be wildly misinformed about the scope of the game.

Mate, nobody can walk around their ships yet. Col 70 was locked for future content SEVEN YEARS ago. We haven't had a new ship since the Chieftain. Frontier can't make walking on foot work on the world's most powerful console. You really need to stop waiting for them to do things. They don't do things. Not since 2016.

I'm not debating if Starfield will be good or bad - it may go either way.
But, for me at least, it wont be an Elite replacement.
It will be a game that i may or may not play - as a reference, i never finished skyrim... somehow it managed to lose me somewhere midway...
I hope Starfield will be good enough for me to become a replacement for ED since I stopped playing ED when the tossed it out the window for console.
Starfield is a different kind of game but could become my main game to play in my spare hours just as ED was.
Knowing that ED wouldn't get any further content made me loose my interest for it, in my 4000+ hours I did about everything there was to do and things became to repetitive for me.

We'll just have to wait and see how Starfield turns out but it looks very promising to me personally and I'm looking forward to it.
I've learned not to get hyped anymore Frontier taught me a good lesson there, more then once.
Besides that, I'm 57 years old and have played video games since the seventies, by now I'm creating more time for my daily naps 😁

I hope Starfield will be good enough for me to become a replacement for ED since I stopped playing ED when the tossed it out the window for console.
Starfield is a different kind of game but could become my main game to play in my spare hours just as ED was.
Knowing that ED wouldn't get any further content made me loose my interest for it, in my 4000+ hours I did about everything there was to do and things became to repetitive for me.

We'll just have to wait and see how Starfield turns out but it looks very promising to me personally and I'm looking forward to it.
I've learned not to get hyped anymore Frontier taught me a good lesson there, more then once.
Besides that, I'm 57 years old and have played video games since the seventies, by now I'm creating more time for my daily naps 😁
Don't let these Debbie Downers dowse your dreams. Starfield will very likely be a wonderful replacement for ED for you on XBox, though it might take a few months to work out all the bugs and such. I'll definitely be watching it very closely.

Don't let these Debbie Downers dowse your dreams. Starfield will very likely be a wonderful replacement for ED for you on XBox, though it might take a few months to work out all the bugs and such. I'll definitely be watching it very closely.
Naah, I'm okay, I don't really care about what others say regarding what I like or look forward to.
I'm really looking forward to Starfield and I'm pretty confident that it will give me a great time.
If others don't like it and make up their judgement before it's even released well that's their prerogative, and perhaps their loss as well.

If others don't like it and make up their judgement before it's even released well that's their prerogative, and perhaps their loss as well.

Did you manage to move to PC? or you dropped the game when FDev dropped ED on consoles and never tried Odyssey?
Well, if you never tried Odyssey, one of the most marvelous moments is the seamless transition from interplanetary flight, orbital cruise, glide and landing on an Odyssey atmo planet. And there are many atmosphere types and compositions and each will give you different colors and gradients.
It's just beautiful.
And you won't get that in Starfield because apparently all you'll get will be a cutscene with your landing instead you landing the ship

Sure, in Starfield you will get many other things you dont get in ED, like digital lockpicks to pick electronic locks... 🤷‍♂️

Again, what i'm trying to say is ED and Starfield are two completely different games and one cannot replace the other.

Last edited:
Did you manage to move to PC? or you dropped the game when FDev dropped ED on consoles and never tried Odyssey?
Well, if you never tried Odyssey, one of the most marvelous moments is the seamless transition from interplanetary flight, orbital cruise, glide and landing on an Odyssey atmo planet. And there are many atmosphere types and compositions and each will give you different colors and gradients.
It's just beautiful.
And you won't get that in Starfield because apparently all you'll get will be a cutscene with your landing instead you landing the ship

Sure, in Starfield you will get many other things you dont get in ED, like digital lockpicks to pick electronic locks... 🤷‍♂️

Again, what i'm trying to say is ED and Starfield are two completely different games and one cannot replace the other.
We have digital lockpicks now in Odyssey. I scan a dude and clone his "key" which I can use on digital locks.

And you are right about the fantastic views of the colors of the atmosphere and horizons in Odyssey. But while this won't be something I can enjoy manually flying my ship in Starfield, I can probably still get a nice treat with these views relaxing (or working) in my surface outpost, or while out tending my surface mining sites.

I frequently do this now in Odyssey, taking a window seat in the lounge after a play session, and just quietly watch the world passing for a few minutes before logging off.

There will be a lot different between the two, for certain. Different things for different players. But personally, I'm excited to give Starfield a try. After a few thousand hours in Elite, I'm looking forward to experiencing some of the things I always wished Elite also offered. Perhaps years from now, in my imagination, I can somehow blend the memories of the two into as close as I'm going to get to the "complete" experience.

It's just beautiful.

When Frontier threw consoles out the window I quit ED, they had disappointed me to many times by then.
I used to be a pc gamer but changed to console when my kids grew up, I didn't want to be bothered by building my own pc's anymore and all the fuzz with drivers, new parts, etc.
I just buy the best console when they come out and be done with it.
I know I won't be able to play certain games that way but I don't care, there are so many games out there, there's always something I like.

To me it seems that seemless landing on planets is the most important thing to you in a "space" game.
Although I like and definitely prefer seemless landings but it surely isn't the most important thing to me.
I already stated that Starfield is a different "space" game then ED but to me it seems that Starfield is gonna offer me much more different things that I like then ED ever did.

It's great that you still like ED so much, we play games for the fun, my time with ED is over, my fun is gone playing that game, I hope Starfield will bring me as much fun, preferably more, as ED once did.

When Frontier threw consoles out the window I quit ED, they had disappointed me to many times by then.
I used to be a pc gamer but changed to console when my kids grew up, I didn't want to be bothered by building my own pc's anymore and all the fuzz with drivers, new parts, etc.
I just buy the best console when they come out and be done with it.
I know I won't be able to play certain games that way but I don't care, there are so many games out there, there's always something I like.

To me it seems that seemless landing on planets is the most important thing to you in a "space" game.
Although I like and definitely prefer seemless landings but it surely isn't the most important thing to me.
I already stated that Starfield is a different "space" game then ED but to me it seems that Starfield is gonna offer me much more different things that I like then ED ever did.

It's great that you still like ED so much, we play games for the fun, my time with ED is over, my fun is gone playing that game, I hope Starfield will bring me as much fun, preferably more, as ED once did.
The reason these posts draw such ire and compel people to reply isn't because people hate Starfield and are trying to talk you out of playing it. No one is doing that.

This is a forum for Elite. People constantly posting "Starfield is coming and it's going to be so much better than Elite" is triggering because gaming culture in the last decade has been inundated with "X game is about to come out and kill "Z" game" childish posts in just about every game forum possible, and it's doubly annoying when the "X" game has literally nothing in common with the "Z" game other than being "setting adjacent".
X Z
Starfield and Elite
Cyberpunk2077 and GTA:Online
Any new horror game and Dead By Daylight (literally, even new single player horror games trigger lemmings to post "DBD is dead" posts)
Scam Citizen and EVE:Online (and Elite, and every other "space" game ever)
Any MMO and World of Warcraft

It gets exhausting after a while.
(Though it is somewhat worth it when the "X" game finally does release and turns out to be hilariously worse in every way, ie. Cyberpunk vs GTA, Evil Dead vs DBD)

Again, I don't think Starfield will be bad, I have always wanted Bethesda to make a space themed game in the Fallout/Elder Scrolls style.(Which is ALL Starfield is)

But I won't be able to use my Dual-Stick-Throttle-and-Pedals-with-HeadTracker SimPit setup to play it.(well I could cram it all onto an emulated xbox controller, but there doesn't appear to be enough spaceflight in Starfield to warrant it)
There won't be Fuel Rats, Buckyball Racers, Gankers, or literally any other real people to interact with.(could be a positive if you're one of the people afraid of Open mode)
There's a lot more to it than "seamless landing on planets", though that's a major factor as well. As an amateur game dev, the fact the Elite allows us to fully circumnavigate planets is mind blowing to me. Starfield's planet "rabbit-holes" are the least imaginative way to do landings or planetary exploration in an interstellar space game.

The reason these posts draw such ire and compel people to reply isn't because people hate Starfield and are trying to talk you out of playing it. No one is doing that.

This is a forum for Elite. People constantly posting "Starfield is coming and it's going to be so much better than Elite" is triggering because gaming culture in the last decade has been inundated with "X game is about to come out and kill "Z" game" childish posts in just about every game forum possible, and it's doubly annoying when the "X" game has literally nothing in common with the "Z" game other than being "setting adjacent".
X Z
Starfield and Elite
Cyberpunk2077 and GTA:Online
Any new horror game and Dead By Daylight (literally, even new single player horror games trigger lemmings to post "DBD is dead" posts)
Scam Citizen and EVE:Online (and Elite, and every other "space" game ever)
Any MMO and World of Warcraft

It gets exhausting after a while.
(Though it is somewhat worth it when the "X" game finally does release and turns out to be hilariously worse in every way, ie. Cyberpunk vs GTA, Evil Dead vs DBD)

Again, I don't think Starfield will be bad, I have always wanted Bethesda to make a space themed game in the Fallout/Elder Scrolls style.(Which is ALL Starfield is)

But I won't be able to use my Dual-Stick-Throttle-and-Pedals-with-HeadTracker SimPit setup to play it.(well I could cram it all onto an emulated xbox controller, but there doesn't appear to be enough spaceflight in Starfield to warrant it)
There won't be Fuel Rats, Buckyball Racers, Gankers, or literally any other real people to interact with.(could be a positive if you're one of the people afraid of Open mode)
There's a lot more to it than "seamless landing on planets", though that's a major factor as well. As an amateur game dev, the fact the Elite allows us to fully circumnavigate planets is mind blowing to me. Starfield's planet "rabbit-holes" are the least imaginative way to do landings or planetary exploration in an interstellar space game.
I totally get what you're saying this is an ED forum and normally I just post in the general gaming section since I don't play ED anymore.
I'm not saying ED is a bad game and Starfield is the goto thing now, I've got 4000+ hours in ED and got more then my money's worth in the past years.
I just lost interest when the console version stopped getting any further content, I've done about everything there is to do in ED, several times, and no further development for my version of ED made me drop the game.

ED has some elements that makes it the best spacesim today imho, the flight model, seemless landing to name a few.
On the other hand ED is also a quite barren game imo.

I'm not saying that Starfield will be the better game, it's a different kind of game, but I'm hoping it will give me as much fun or more then ED did.
So far, by what we've seen by now, Starfield looks very promising to me but we'll have to wait and see if it actually will be that good.

Nothing can 'replace' ED for me. It's my favourite game ever, and nothing will scratch that itch, certainly not NMS. It's just too cartoony. For flight, in space, the most fun I've had is Hardspace: Shipbreaker. It has almost newtonian physics and I'd give my left leg to be able to break apart a Python. Maybe there's a licensing opportunity to release an Elite DLC in Shipbreaker? Someone ask Frontier on Twitter, I deleted mine last year :LOL:

Nothing can 'replace' ED for me. It's my favourite game ever, and nothing will scratch that itch, certainly not NMS. It's just too cartoony. For flight, in space, the most fun I've had is Hardspace: Shipbreaker. It has almost newtonian physics and I'd give my left leg to be able to break apart a Python. Maybe there's a licensing opportunity to release an Elite DLC in Shipbreaker? Someone ask Frontier on Twitter, I deleted mine last year :LOL:
If Frontier would've continued development on console I'd still be playing it and Starfield would've been a very nice addition.
Knowing that nothing new will ever come to ED just putt me off playing it, I've done about everything there is to do and I can't set any new goals anymore without falling into repetition.
No game can replace the fun I've had with ED but a new game could possibly give me just as much fun, a different kind of fun but fun nevertheless.

Elite Dangerous is an old game, I can't see them making a PS5 or Xbox Series X/S version now.
They're not even doing all that much for pc atm as far as I can tell so no I don't think hoping for another console version would be very realistic.
That's why I'm looking forward to another game (Starfield) that could possibly give me as much fun as I had playing ED.

Top Bottom