Xbox ceases xbx one game development

Dutch is correct; I've had the best time of my gaming life on ED on xbox, the shenanigans we got up to in our group (same one as Dutchman). I still play on xbox as much as I can, though I had to find another squadron to find other players.
I played ED as it scratched that itch where I wanted to recreate my time playing traveller rpg (which I believe both Bell and Braben also played). Starfield appears it may do this, but I'll wait until launch before I get too excited.

Dutch is correct; I've had the best time of my gaming life on ED on xbox, the shenanigans we got up to in our group (same one as Dutchman). I still play on xbox as much as I can, though I had to find another squadron to find other players.
I played ED as it scratched that itch where I wanted to recreate my time playing traveller rpg (which I believe both Bell and Braben also played). Starfield appears it may do this, but I'll wait until launch before I get too excited.
Traveller now ya talking, good times, good times.

Traveller now ya talking, good times, good times.
So true, I never had so much fun playing a game then during the good times we had with DRX.
In truth ED used to be the best game I've ever played for many years and I doubt any other game could match that.
Although Starfield looks promising in being able to give me a lot of fun for a long time, it will never be the same as those days with DRX.

I keep seeing people talk about Starfield as some kind of replacement for Elite, but everything I hear about it tells me that, apart from being set in space, it scratches a different kind of itch. A single player narrative-driven experience set in a completely hand-crafted game world with a cast of developed characters. Regardless of how good it turns out to be, it sounds to me more like Mass Effect than Elite Dangerous. Both are great IMO, but they provide quite different kinds of gaming experiences.
Completely agree, Starfield looks great and my son is excited to get it, right now he's playing Fallout New Vegas, which looks great but not something I'm that bothered about, like Starfield, which I will be happy to hear about this or that aspect of the game as he plays.

However, I know that there are those who play Elite, No Man's Sky, Star Citizen, etc.. who do wish that it was more of story driven single player narrative based adventure that had a beginning and end, and for those Starfield will most likely provide the "complete" experience they're looking for. That doesn't make the aforementioned games, with one very notable exception, "incomplete" experiences, just different ones. For me, not being able to travel through different systems with Newtonian based orbits etc.. would be my definition of an "incomplete" experience in a space game, so there's that.

OP; I hope you enjoy Starfield, but don't completely forget about Elite either, it's not a binary choice, though I get busy schedules may dictate it. o7

Mate, nobody can walk around their ships yet.
And? I'd wait to see if that's possible in Starfield in the way that people would expect it to in Elite before making any judgements. By that I mean walking around your ship while flying etc.. And yes, I would love to see ship interiors in Elite, and hopefully, if my expectation is correct in that Starfield will effectively be a static map for the ship parts where interacting with ship interiors is concerned that that actually might allow for Frontier to do the same without the fear of being compared derogatorily to how Star Citizen does it, even though it only works some of the time and breaks often in that game.

Col 70 was locked for future content SEVEN YEARS ago.
Elite's development arc is 10+ years. It's entirely possible that the Thargoid war might lead to that area being unlocked, who knows? There's 400 billion star systems in the galaxy, are you done with all of the other places that you need to access the col 70 sector to finish up your tour of the galaxy or something?

We haven't had a new ship since the Chieftain.
Mamba actually, but while I'm glad that Frontier doesn't ask me to buy $250 jpgs of ships that may or may not make it into the game as a primary source of development income, I'll never say no to new ships we can fly.

Frontier can't make walking on foot work on the world's most powerful console.
It's not that they "can't", it was a time/resources vs. ROI decision, as it was holding up their plans for the Odyssey expansion.

You really need to stop waiting for them to do things. They don't do things. Not since 2016.
Yes, Frontier haven't done anything since 2016. How can one possibly refute such an informed statement of fact.

ED has some elements that makes it the best spacesim today imho, the flight model, seemless landing to name a few.
On the other hand ED is also a quite barren game imo.
Treat the barrenness in Elite the same way that Todd Howard is asking you to do the same in Starfield.

And? I'd wait to see if that's possible in Starfield in the way that people would expect it to in Elite before making any judgements. By that I mean walking around your ship while flying etc.. And yes, I would love to see ship interiors in Elite, and hopefully, if my expectation is correct in that Starfield will effectively be a static map for the ship parts where interacting with ship interiors is concerned that that actually might allow for Frontier to do the same without the fear of being compared derogatorily to how Star Citizen does it, even though it only works some of the time and breaks often in that game.

Elite's development arc is 10+ years. It's entirely possible that the Thargoid war might lead to that area being unlocked, who knows? There's 400 billion star systems in the galaxy, are you done with all of the other places that you need to access the col 70 sector to finish up your tour of the galaxy or something?

Mamba actually, but while I'm glad that Frontier doesn't ask me to buy $250 jpgs of ships that may or may not make it into the game as a primary source of development income, I'll never say no to new ships we can fly.

It's not that they "can't", it was a time/resources vs. ROI decision, as it was holding up their plans for the Odyssey expansion.

Yes, Frontier haven't done anything since 2016. How can one possibly refute such an informed statement of fact.
Ah, you seem to have hope. You want Elite to be better and it won't be. Our entire community has been dropped. Development has halted, Col 70 will never be open. Unless you play on a word processor? I which case you may be a bit lost

Ah, you seem to have hope. You want Elite to be better and it won't be. Our entire community has been dropped. Development has halted, Col 70 will never be open. Unless you play on a word processor? I which case you may be a bit lost
Reads like you need to cope a little better. Frontier will do what they want. Heard the same from people like you about Spacelegs; "It will never happen" etc.. we'll see is what I've always said, you may be right, at some point you are sure to be in regards to development stopping, but until then I will carry on regardless. o7

And? I'd wait to see if that's possible in Starfield in the way that people would expect it to in Elite before making any judgements. By that I mean walking around your ship while flying etc..
afaik, there are modules with different functions. quarters, workshops and what have you. You can use those for different purposes. Maybe chat with crew. And stash sandwiches on furniture - or whatever it is you want to collect. The ship as is planned is your mobile base. I don't think they will cut that out for release - Bethesda usually brings their trailers very late and by then most of the stuff is likely to NOT get stricken of the release feature list.

afaik, there are modules with different functions. quarters, workshops and what have you. You can use those for different purposes. Maybe chat with crew. And stash sandwiches on furniture - or whatever it is you want to collect. The ship as is planned is your mobile base. I don't think they will cut that out for release - Bethesda usually brings their trailers very late and by then most of the stuff is likely to NOT get stricken of the release feature list.
I get that, what I was referring to was whether you can walk around while the ship is in motion like would have to be the case in Elite, or if it is a static map hidden behind smoke and mirrors. Don't get me wrong, I'm firmly in the 'want ship interiors' camp, but am not aligned with those who are using it as their vector for their "Elite/Frontier Bad" narrative.

Reads like you need to cope a little better. Frontier will do what they want. Heard the same from people like you about Spacelegs; "It will never happen" etc.. we'll see is what I've always said, you may be right, at some point you are sure to be in regards to development stopping, but until then I will carry on regardless. o7
You do realize you're posting in the XBox forum, right? Frontier themselves have confirmed "It will never happen" when it comes to consoles.

You do realize you're posting in the XBox forum, right? Frontier themselves have confirmed "It will never happen" when it comes to consoles.
The comment I replied to does read a bit differently when one takes that into account lol. Thank you sir. Apologies all around and I retract all that I said if replied specifically in regards to Xbox development. I thought I was replying to general doom about the game.

Treat the barrenness in Elite the same way that Todd Howard is asking you to do the same in Starfield.
I intend to treat the barrenness in Starfield the same way as I did with ED and I'm pretty sure Starfield will come up with some very nice surprises, there where ED never has in the 4000+ hours I've put into it.

Last edited:
Actually I don't care if Frontier decided to bring ED to last Gen consoles, I've got Starfield on my radar now and Frontier has disappointed me to many times.
For me personally Starfield delivers a far more complete package then ED ever did.
Starfield is what Elite could have - and should have - been. I take no pleasure in Bethesda showing Frontier how to have legs in space on a console. We should have been first.

Starfield is what Elite could have - and should have - been. I take no pleasure in Bethesda showing Frontier how to have legs in space on a console. We should have been first.

Yea, you have legs in Starfield, but that's basically all you have.
The flight is a joke and even if it has 1000 planets (Galaxy as Bethesda calls it, LOL), you're not feeling you're getting anywhere since there is basically no travel, just cutscenes and loading screens
Not to mention planetary exploration is just a number of randomly generated tiles not stitched together (i cannot even say they're badly stitched, since they're not at all)

Attention, i'm not saying Starfield is a crap game, i'm saying it's not Elite

my son and i started Starfield last night. after watching some gameplay it made me appreciate Elite: Dangerous even more. i'll probably play more Starfield, but it's just a totally different game than Elite is. and, right now, just not what i want to play.

Top Bottom