EDDiscovery

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
ED Discovery is a Windows Application which assists you in piloting in the Elite Dangerous universe. Started by Commander Finwen, it has been greatly expanded in the last year by a team of programmers who have added many features. Originally only a explorers tool, since Elite 2.2 and journals it has many more features which warrant a post in this section because its useful for all commanders, whatever your profession!

Note Mac support is now suspended and the Mac version on Github is out of date.

See our wiki with a full help guide. Talk to us and other users directly using Discord.

Various virus scanners routinely complain about the installer. This is because its a new program to them. Check out the installer by using VirusTotal and satisfy yourself before you install.

Features:

EDD supports add on packs that can be installed individually and which expand ED Discovery. The add on packs themselves are customisable as they are writting in a simple programming language.

The principle pack is the voice pack, which reads out the journal entries as they happen in your chosen windows text to speech voice. Customisable keyboard shortcuts packs are also available if you wish to use tools such as voice attack to control ED. Other packs are available, check your in program add-on menu.

ED Discovery look is fully customisable, you choose the layout, you choose the colours. We include some default themes to get you going, the one shown here is Elite Veranda.

The User Interface featuring multiple information tabs, multiple panels per tab:

uYcszLN.png

Customisable Pop outs, both transparent (so you can place them over ED and have them in game) and non transparent, covering information that you need for exploration:

AgNmrpW.png

Trading:

Qdwcwr3.png

And for engineering/exploring:

HSacDTw.png

ED Discovery features a 3d star map of commanders visited systems, courtesy of EDSM. You can pan and zoom, click, see information on your trip and on each star:

YJFnFWD.png

ED Discovery integrates with EDSM, EDDN and EDDB. It can send your journey to EDSM and retrieve information from EDSM from your account. It can send your information (scans etc) to EDDN for upload to the tools which use this.

A screenshot converter allows you to convert those pesky BMPs from ED or steam into a PNG and give them a decent name. Route planners allow you to plan your trip. Your history can be filtered for view, individually on each tab/pop out, showing only the events you want to see or using a advanced filter to remove events on a much more individual basis (npc chatter for instance).

ED Discovery can be downloaded from here. We support both stable builds, and beta builds, each individually installable. We also support portable builds where you can place the data where you want it.

This is an free open source project, you can inspect the code at github. No code is hidden. All is available for you to build or inspect.. We welcome contributions to the code base and user reports of any issues, either at our discord or via Github issues.

This software uses the Apache V2 license and is (C) EDDiscovery team 2017. It is provided without warrantee and with no liability, as per the license.

Last edited:
+1 REP :D

To those Explorers who might not want to use this program, listen to what the OP said and at least add the system logging to your game. Until FD do it, that is the only way to know where you've been !!!

I've been using EDDiscovery for more than 2 months and it has faithfully tracked every jump I've made. The only time it hasn't is when I've forgotten to put the VerboseLogging line back in after a game update.

I'm also able to copy the list of systems and timestamps out into Google Sheet for my travel log.

I definitely recommend it for exploration. :)

I think I get what you are saying, but can you put it into English please?
"Parses"?

Does it magically work out where I have been without me having to manually enter anything?
Thanks.

Very nice job commander.

But i just hope one day FD will give us same feature in our galaxy map with filters :
- my trip
- my first discovered objects.

Yes. If you modify AppConfig.xml so you get verbose logging in Elite. EDDiscovery will then parse the logfile and show where you have been.

I think I get what you are saying, but can you put it into English please?
"Parses"?

Does it magically work out where I have been without me having to manually enter anything?
Thanks.

With the configuration change Finwen instructs you to make, Elite: Dangerous will record in its own log file some information about each system you enter. Parsing: EDDiscovery will read that log file and extract from it that system information which it will present onscreen in various ways (a list, a rotatable/zoomable star map), and presumably will log on its own along with your own notes appended.

So, MAGIC!

Edit: my brain is borkened.

Last edited:
Bookmarking to download when I get home after work tonight...

Now, don't really understand...After installing the app, I have to add this Verbose thing right after as well or only after each launcher update?

Bookmarking to download when I get home after work tonight...

Now, don't really understand...After installing the app, I have to add this Verbose thing right after as well or only after each launcher update?

Yes, you'll need to change the AppConfig after you install the app (or any time before you start the ED launcher) the only time you'll need to change it again is after a patch or an update as it resets the file to default.

I would like to use it but I have Windows 8.1 and the netlog code seems to be backwards compared to the example given by Finwin and is all on one line.( Also I am 56 years old and a bit scared to do this as I am no good with computers ).

I would like to use it but I have Windows 8.1 and the netlog code seems to be backwards compared to the example given by Finwin and is all on one line.( Also I am 56 years old and a bit scared to do this as I am no good with computers ).

Are you opening it with Notepad ? sounds like you might have opened it in Internet Explorer in which case you won't be able to edit it. A good idea is to make a copy of the file before you make any tweaks, that way you'll be fine if you mess it up !

What did you use to open/edit the file?

Notepad++ (free) is what I used on Win 8.1 and that works fine.

Edit: Plus, of course, thanks and +rep to Finwen!

Last edited:
I have made some code to let EDDiscovery modify AppConfig.xml so you dont need to manually edit it later. I just need to test it allot before i release it...

For steam customer the AppConfig.xml path is :
<your steam installation drive>:\Steam\steamapps\common\Elite Dangerous\Products\FORC-FDEV-D-1010

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom