X-Com Enemy Unknown 2012

Anyone remember the UFO - Enemy Unknown a.k.a X-com enemy unknown game that came out on the amiga/pc back in 1995? It was followed by a sequel known as x-com terror from the deep. An amazing turn based game where you had to defend the world from an invading alien race. This game has amazing replayability and I still play it today. Well it looks like the game just got its self a remake and at first glimpse I have to admit I am very very excited.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX9r0S77Vh0&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U88EcjtDnyE

Lots Of UFO Goodness!

Yea, I've been tracking Sid's re-make since I first herd about it. Certainly judging by the responses I've seen across various forums, its going to be a lot more welcome than another first person shooter re-make had.

Here is a vid for that FPS version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alZQe7Q0wzA

Of course the original game (I still have the Amiga AGA, ECS and CD32 versions) was awesome. Back in the 90s when I wasn't playing Frontier, it would have been this :cool:

There was also another commercial re-make called UFO Aftermath. Thats available on GOG here http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/ufo_aftermath

There was also follow ups to that game called Aftershock and Afterlight also on there too. They are not bad at all. :)

Another, it's called Xenonauts (still in development) and has a demo available on Desura here http://www.desura.com/games/xenonauts/news/xenonauts-demo-available-for-download

Finally there is a free open source re-make called UFO: Alien Invasion, here is a link to various ports covering Windows, Ubuntu and Mac OSX

http://ufoai.org/wiki/index.php/Download

I've got this and I love it! :p

I think it was ufo aftermath was the last one i played. I thought it was okay, but just felt there was something missing and i didnt like the idea that it was not earth based.

I am glad they moved away from the 3rd person shooter idea, I think it would have been an epic fail if they continued down that route, a bit like what happened with the syndicate remake. I love the idea of the full 3D x-com base with full camera panning around it. I also love that all the soldiers/scientists/engineers are all wandering about doing things while you sit back and watch them. It actually feels like you have a full base of living people rather than a number slider like before.

Michael Brookes

Game Director
I think they're still doing the shooter, which might be fun in its own right, but I'm really looking forward to this remake. The original is one of the few games I have completed on multiple platforms.

Michael

I had a pretty good tactic in the original x-com and yes i still play it now. For the first few missions i would use disposable soldiers until i managed to research and upgrade the armour and weapons, then I would start to name my troops after people i knew so i became attached to them and really cared that they made it out alive. I would always keep an autoshot reserved per turn just in case even if it meant the soldiers only walked a few squares. By taking time and working in a team of 4 in each direction i had a good little tactical unit. I just hope this new game lets you take your time and doesn't force you to jump into the action at every turn.

Also I didn't seem to be bothered if other countries lowered or cut off funding, because if I sold all corpses and spare alien weapons I had gathered I was able to fund myself pretty damned well.

I just hope this game keeps these elements in so I can continue my strategy like i did before.

for many years i have always wanted to do an x-com comic. i think in my early 20's i even sarted to draw a few panels out for one, but it didn't go anywhere. Imagine what i could slap together now.

An Idea?

:D Yes I can imagine! :cool:
If you do archamedes, you ought to contact Fraxis, perhaps they just might be interested in including it in a collectors or special edition. Mind that 2K Games has announced that the game will be released for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 on October 9, 2012 in North America and October 12, 2012 in Europe. Assuming no slippages ;)

yep, got x-com pre-ordered already.

i think there is an fps coming out too. I don't have anything against fpses (is that right, mayby FPSs) anyway - there are just so many, so I'm glad they decided to do a turn-based strategy (in fact - really glad they decided to go with turn based too).

As much as a rip-off it is, Call of Duty is still one of the best FPSs out there, so any new one has to improve so much to make it worthwhile getting. I'm probably cynical, but I doubt the X-Com FPS is going to be better than CoD/Battlefield/Halo which kind of makes it pointless to buy (unless you can afford all these FPSs)

I saw the fps version of xcom on youtube and in all honesty I was not impressed. I usually give fps games the benefit of the doubt, because i don't judge a game by what its genre or how many games are like it, if i enjoy it i will play it. But I actually switched off ater 3 minutes of the 10 minute gameplay walkthrough, because it was NOT xcom and also even if I was playing it as an independent game with a different name I still wouldn't enjoy it

I played the demo for XCOM: Enemy Unknown on Steam and I also got the chance to try out the multiplayer at Eurogamer. Very excited for it now! I can't say I'm particularly interested in any FPS though..

Went to my local game (Yes there are still a few left) What a surprise, its release day today and they haven't got any in stock. No wonder they are losing the battle against online stores.

Got the special edition version yesterday, still not being able to play it as it requires a 2GB patch/update from steam.:mad:

sad state of today's PC gaming:rolleyes:

I got it, love it. The new system takes a little getting used to but I like it. Will probably still play the original because no matter how good a remake is, you can't beat it.

I found the best way to survive the battlefield is to keep everyone close and just tak your one move and then go into overwatch. Oh and get those laser weapons researched really quickly or you end up surrounded by a pack of cryssalids that require an entire squad to kill one of them if you are still using the earth weapons.

Also in the original xcom i kept my funding my selling all my corpses and spare recovered artifacts. Little did i know that was a big mistake to keep doing that with this version.

What I love about this version even more is that now the xcom base team now have a face. When playing the original amiga version I always wanted to see more of the scientists and engineers working, now you can and they even have lead management characters. I just wish you could zoom in a bit closer and see the team doing their stuff in the base. I think in the deep dive trailer you could zoom right in to the barracks and see the soldiers and staff wandering about doing their thing, but you can't seem to do that in game unless you pick a department option, but even then it doesn't zoom in all the way like in the trailer

Top Bottom