News ANNOUNCING ELITE DANGEROUS: HORIZONS

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Its what I expected, I don't know what else Frontier could have announced. *Awesome*

$39 is a bargain. A full year of expansions - not jut the initial release. Of course there's the whiners who expect this for free or $0.99 :-\

Holiday 2015 is Christmas. Yes, its the P.C of saying "Christmas". You wouldn't want to offend anyone, would you now :-\

Ok getting confused a bit. I'm an ED premium backer, do I get Horizons free? I believe I do. Do I have to order it or will it automatically be added to my account for download?

Michael can you answer these for me please

Yes, you get for free, as you have lifetime expansion pass already. Afaik you don't need to order anything.

Last edited:

Michael Brookes

Game Director
Hi Michael,

What constitutes premium beta?

I am a Beta backer. I paid £50 for the game in November 2014, so am I a premium beta backer or just a beta backer?

Do I have to pay an extra £30 to get this expansion?

If I do have to pay, is there any discount for "non premium" beta backers to get the life time expansion pass? £130 is a bit too pricey for me :(

You're a beta backer - Premium Beta was £100 or higher reward tier.

Michael

Are you saying it is a priviledge to be promised the greatest thing ever, pay 50€ for it and then realize all you got a 'a nice framework' and placeholder gameplay, get to play that for six months, and then smile and bend over when it turns out those coming later on, who aren't burnt on the lackluster gameplay yet, get to pay a lot less overall for the base game + expansion?
Where is you dignity ?

<facepalm> I never fail to be amazed by some peoples lack of understanding and logic...

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Indeed. Since Horizon includes the full game (which allows FD to keep on selling the game for full price) and this pattern will probably repeat in the coming years people can just wait until they think the price is worth upgrading for. If they don't think it's worth it then don't upgrade.

Buying more or less yearly releases of Assassins Creed, CoD, NHL, FIFA is fine, but this isn't?

For a "MMO" game it's pretty cheap anyway £30/12 = £2,5 per month. Except here you aren't forced to pay anything unless you want the content.

Stop, stop with the logic. You're not giving them a reason to carry on moaning ;)

If you look at the core game as an example, would you then expect deep/layered mechanics within Horizons? Or lots of simple mini-games? ie: As you suggest, simplistic USS style encounters, and simple scanning and mining etc etc? Or would you expect deep/broad mechanics allowing involved (emergent) gameplay and mechanics?

My feeling at the moment is to base my expectations on current history... I'm expecting lots of simple unconnected mini-games.

Today outside I chopped some wood in real life and you could call that a mini game as well. I get the feeling you do not understand the way of Elite.

That's how everything works. You can't expect to pay once and then get every new expansion, forever, for free.

I never expected the expansion to be free, just paying 37.50€(with the discount mind you,and who knows how long this discount is going to last?,want if i want to wait until Horizons i good way into down the road and the discount stops? then i need to pay 50€ for the Expansion alone) is a bit mutch for "just" an expansion which comes out as a "quasi Early Acesses" as far as i have understood.

The point he was trying to make was that as loyal customers, existing players are getting shafted and new players are not.

Its the same old 'new customers only' deals that you get everywhere. This should be priced somewhere between £10 - £20 for existing owners at the most. And that's coming from a Frontier shareholder. £30 is way to much given what 'new customers' are getting.

Doesn't affect me persoanlly but I can why a certain percentage of other players (people who bought in the last 6 months) are going be a little bit peeved by this.

Imagine players who just bought the game in the last few weeks, i know i would be well peed off.

"25% discount, cobra IV and many months of playing the game already"

And new players get a 100% discount on the main game. See where the outrage is coming from now? New players are getting a good deal while the "loyal" customers are getting shafted.
^ This.

If somebody would have told me 8 months ago that my money merely went into the possibility to play the game for 8 months before paying full price AGAIN, I wouldn't have bought it in the first place.
It's just wrong if you ask me.

Why not just give existing ED players the possibility to UPGRADE to Horizons for about 10-20 bucks?

Its what I expected, I don't know what else Frontier could have announced. *Awesome*

$39 is a bargain. A full year of expansions - not jut the initial release. Of course there's the whiners who expect this for free or $0.99 :-\

Holiday 2015 is Christmas. Yes, its the P.C of saying "Christmas". You wouldn't want to offend anyone, would you now :-\

It better not be $39 if it's costing us Brits £39 :/

My reaction:

Looks awesome, just what ED needs SOME CONTENT

although question is I just got charged £130 and I already own the game should I have got £10 off or 25% and can I get a refund of that amount?

Or and I wrong

The deal is the same for both parties. New customers effectively get the base game for the same (or a bit less) than the discount you get for already owning the game.

Michael

So we are getting a small discount, and new Players get the full original game for the same amount as our small discount is? And that should be the same deal for both parties?

Example: A car costs 1000 €, but I get a discount of 50 €... Not someone else can buy the car for 50 €... thats not the same deal, is it?

Not complaining about the total price here, but this statement simply doesnt make sense, sorry

Last edited:
You're a beta backer - Premium Beta was £100 or higher reward tier.

Michael

Ah ok cool..

so the other part of my question..... any discounts for beta backers to get the life time expansion pass?!

I'll give you 100 quid for one....that's the best I can do, these things are burning a hole in your pocket! ;)

The point he and you are missing is that the base game will be a year old. We paid for the base game, we didn't pay for any future major updates.
Horizons is a major update (effectively a complete new game in its own right) to the base game, anyone buying Horizons will naturally get the base game required for it as well.
Anyone that already has the base will be able to upgrade for a fee less than the cost of Horizons stand alone.

Perfectly fair.

What you said is perfectly fair .. The price isn't .. that's the point I was making ...

My questions:

→ No atmosphere? I think it's fine for the ships with no proper wings to fly, right?
→ What would be the minimum ship's size to fit a Scarab?
→ If our ship has several different weapons, what would be the Scarab loadout?
→ Will the ships' masses apply with differents planets gravities?

Thanks for your time!

why the big hang up over pricing...you know we have ALL gotten enjoyment for our money spent on this game at one stage or another or you wouldn't be hear now. it looks like to me this will send shivers down the spine of Star Citizen and other such developments. FD get this right and you've nailed it. Blimey i've already spent a fortune on this game and got every pennies worth...good or bad (at times) but I have no probs giving an extra 30 quid....i mean 30 quid for all this hard work....its nothing !!!!

Yeah, money shouldn't be the issue. Big expansions cost big money, that how it is. I recently purchased FTX Global, FTX Global Vector and SceneryTech Landclass addons for Flight Simulator X, at a grand total of 215 Australian Dollars. That's 145 Euros/101 British Pound/158 US Dollars. And that's just for one planet, the one called Earth. ;)

The price for Horizons should be fine, if it realy entails what it sounds like, which I'm still not clear about. Why do FD always have to be so ambiguous and deliberately nebulous with their communications?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom