The Canonn - Interstellar Scientific Research

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

Originally drawn together from the four corners of inhabited space to investigate the Unknown Artefacts, The Canonn consists of Commanders from all professions, all allegiances, and all walks of life. One common goal unites them: to seek the truth behind the galaxy's mysteries at any cost.

Do you have what it takes to join the Tin Foil Berets?

1. Register an account to this site- Be sure to include your in-game CMDR Name, Frontier Forum name and make sure you click the link in your registration confirmation email.

2. Introduce yourself- Once you’re registered, you’ll be able to introduce yourself on our ‘Start Here!’ forum. Tell us about yourself, where you heard about us, why you want to join, and what your favourite biscuit is!

3. SCIENCE!!- Once you've completed the first two steps, someone will do some behind-the-scenes magic that will give you access to this page and the rest of the site. This page contains our TeamSpeak & important links, as well as other information.

Last edited:
If we are trying to select potential "homes" I guess the question is what the criteria are?

Is the Canonn a political / military group/faction? If so, we might want to be well situated in the "bubble" for expansion opportunities. If not, we might be better off in a more remote location where we're less likely to be "expanded into". Ooooerr.

Having a high-tech, large population station would be a benefit for outfitting.

Having an outpost is handy for selling illicit goods without risking fines.

A station close to the arrival point would be nice, cuts down on the repetitive commute time.

At least one scoopable star is a useful one.

Anything else?

If we are trying to select potential "homes" I guess the question is what the criteria are?

Is the Canonn a political / military group/faction? If so, we might want to be well situated in the "bubble" for expansion opportunities. If not, we might be better off in a more remote location where we're less likely to be "expanded into". Ooooerr.

Having a high-tech, large population station would be a benefit for outfitting.

Having an outpost is handy for selling illicit goods without risking fines.

A station close to the arrival point would be nice, cuts down on the repetitive commute time.

At least one scoopable star is a useful one.

Anything else?

Resource extraction sites
Black hole ( for any future testing we may do )
a variety of different types of planets gas and solid.
Edit and how about a planet that could be terra-formed for when we get proper planetary landings

Last edited:
Resource extraction sites
Black hole ( for any future testing we may do )
a variety of different types of planets gas and solid.
Edit and how about a planet that could be terra-formed for when we get proper planetary landings

Good suggestions. At least one rocky/icy planet too, just so we get to play around on the surface without having to leave home. :)

If you are looking for a base may I suggest Taukura. 100% higher fines and bounties and about 300 to 500 ly away from civilisation.

How about Soontil
Its out of the way, has some mystery about it and a few planets so we have plenty of landscapes to chose from for racing and other silly things we may find our selves doing.
Only downside is no Black hole and does not have a station.

How about Soontil
Its out of the way, has some mystery about it and a few planets so we have plenty of landscapes to chose from for racing and other silly things we may find our selves doing.
Only downside is no Black hole and does not have a station.

Needs to have a population.

Forget bh. There are none in the bubble

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm, with an 'illegal' UA in your hold, the 100% higher fines might be a problem.

How about we start a protest, 'Legalize UAs now!'

For legal ua, we would have to be anarchy, and that would hinder influence gains too much

Canonn Discord Server - Browser/App based Text/Voice comms

Research & Supply Vessel
GNOSIS
The Canonn Capital Ship​

Join the Canonn Discord server by typing canonn.science/gnosis into your browser, or by clicking this link. Follow the instructions on the #gnosis channel to be verified!​

Last edited:
Hi,
Just droping by to subscribe. Any place with an outpost and a repair shop is fine. Black market is also nice.

If there is voting I would like to give a +1 to the system Dommarraa posted (forgot the name).
It looks very complete.

Last edited:
I know im coming late to the group but as my gran used to say, shy bairns get no sweets.

The Canonn (Inn?)

As a social gathering of players I'm all up for some kind of ingame solution. Something that lets us stay connected across the barren light years separating us. As we blindly test our way across the universe, trying to jettison everything we find into the nearest black hole or dragging it across the universe like some sparkly tomagochi. We need a group of like minded individuals who can stand back and either simply witness the awesome or make suggestions like swearing at things in local. Someone to stave off insanity as the hours tick by and you swear you can hear the discovery scanner argueing with the cargo scanner. We need... others.

The Canonn (Incorporated?)

The problem I have is the simple creation of the powerplay capable faction might inexorably result in the primary focus of the group from being primarily spending days on end in deep space doing silent battle with the abyss. To the incredibly time intensive powerplay mechanic (omg if we get this sector and this sector we can get a blue pulse laser!) I'm not saying I dont like the idea of kicking back at OUR station, what I am saying is they are gonna have to make the style of gameplay we do count or offer something to make what we do more rewarding. Neither of which I think are likely scenarios.

The Canonn - Interstellar Research Group

So... Where. Ideally in a spot where we have easy access to every star, ring, res and planet type possible. A researchers goldilocks spot if you will. (bonus point for nebulae on the doorstep)

A station close to starfall in the system.

Government (reference - http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Government)
I dunno.. Whats everyone's stance on this?

Allegiance
Im guessing independent given our varied background. How much effect with this likely have?

Given the message from Z signs off;
Eventually, this will lead on to the possibility of your faction becoming a power and so it’s really important that you grow and develop your faction ready for when that opportunity becomes available.

How do we feel about that?

Cross post for Nick:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=175726&page=187&p=2739777&viewfull=1#post2739777

Regarding a Home System for the Canonn
I'm all up for putting some grind into supporting our influence over a home system, helping to target expansions, making myself hostile to everybody in sight so the boot-necking of rivals saves me the bother of having to go looking for it... and I'm even happy to wait for, perhaps, our first supported CG to be turning a different type of Outpost in the system into a Scientific Outpost... but...
Please...

A system with a large pad that isn't an interminably long way to trek each and every time I want to pop home for fresh pies.
Which scotches both 109 Virginis and Timocani for me. Several of us already regularly use Anacondas, Type-9s and Clippers and as things progress over time more of us will become frustrated by the need to taxi from a neighbouring system or simply bump up our grind-time levels just to dock at the one station in the system which can handle our heft.
It's not that I don't recognise the 'group lore' that Timocani and 109 Virginis have provided but they are both rife with negative impact upon the comfortable viability of a home system. Furthermore, the group is drawn from across the Bubble anyway, and if it's really wanted by us to 'own' either of those systems then perhaps annexing them through later minor faction expansion from a neighbouring system would be our best bet - all this assuming we really feel a widespread attachment to either 109V or Timocani.

Frankly, I think we shouldn't make either a 'home system' or weigh ourselves down by what, in light of a ten year game, amounts only to a brief luck-bound flutter of activity in either of them.

And, so, I present...

The Case for Kotaition
On the edge of the Bubble, in the direction of Polaris.
High-Tech.
Terrestrial water world with indigenous life - nitrogen-argon atmosphere
Terrestrial water world terraforming candidate with indigenous life - ammonia atmosphere
Large Jovian gas giant, rings with pristine reserves
Small Jovian gas giant, rings with pristine reserves
2 High Metal Content Planets - neither with atmosphere
Asteroid Belt
Scoopable K-type Star
Plenty of barren (icy planet) moons
Large Station and small Outpost

In Kotaition I think I've found us a viable fixer-upper, which touches on several 'features' we may enjoy over the coming years of play.

The ammonia world could prove 'welcoming' to our Thargoid overlords.
It's a fine 'home base' for exploration - particularly towards Polaris.
There will be opportunities for RES, Mining, Horizons-era opportunities, bounty hunting, piracy, even fishing.
Docking for both large and small ships.
The opportunity for a later Group CG to terraform one of the worlds and/or change the 'type' of the Outpost to Scientific if it's not already.
It's not a Control system for Powerplay, nor does it earn much CC for it, so - assuming any Canonn PP ambitions are moot for a very long time - we shouldn't see much 'interest' or interference from that quarter.
Currently exploited by Mahon but not an Alliance system, actually Federation - which would, of course, quickly change when those peskily Independent Canonn types roll in.

No, it has absolutely no previous ties to our past work but here's a couple of things to consider:

Things change and we could do with some stability in a home-base sense. Where once Timocani was the place to be, HR1185 has become the hotspot, and in two weeks who's to say where the next system of interest will be? Or the five after that? At least by picking a base that is not beholden to a past already proven more for its temporary use than its long-term use, we can better equip ourselves for the long, long haul ahead.

System name is KOTAITION

Last edited:
I think that KOTAITION is a nice one and sorta......well something like that or better would need to be found in my opnion to top it.

Looks good on the edge of the bubble so don't have to go too far into civilization after an exploration run and good facilities.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom