Powerplay So how is powerplay?

PP is now out for quite some time and has received a lot of criticism. I'm wondering:

Did it improve? Do you like it? For what reason would you recommend committing to support a power (or not)?

I hate it, it seems pointless to me so when I get to a point that i'll be less active for a few days i'm dropping my power and flying around in a sidewinder waiting to get hunted down. I don't like it because if you want to advance in it, you have to do power play exclusively to the detriment of any other activity. If you're power playing that's all you're doing. maybe it's the power i'm following though. here missions involve trucking pamphlets across the galaxy or attacking enemy ships so they drop cargo, then you have to scoop it and bring it back to home base, if i'm gonna truck cargo around i'll do missions that actually pay something.

It's different.

I'm basically doing the same things as before, Hauling and blowing things up, but I get paid weekly instead of immediately. Works out at about 5mil an hour for the work required to maintain rank 5.

I think the idea of doing it for a purpose is helping, as it the great support from the other guys in the power on the forum and in game.

That said I tired it to tide me over till horizons comes out when I will go exploring again. :D

If you are interested in PvP it allows more interaction with players to shoot at. Otherwise it's nothing new, it's inherently just a system/personality telling you to do the same things you've always been doing (hauling from X to Y, killing X in Y for bonds, etc). If you're looking for something new it doesn't provide that. I just like it for easily finding players to shoot at. I was actually hoping it'd be something like EVE's Faction Warfare system, something I think would suit beautifully in Elite... maybe even better than it does EVE. PP is actually a basic version of it but without the heavy player involvement of controlling and taking over stations (the AI/turn system does that instead of players in Elite, I was hoping players had total control of the transition...) If you want to read more about it to get an idea. https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Factional_Warfare

Personally I'm not one of those that like to compare all the space games since all of them have different priorities but there are things that can be taken/learned from each that could suit the game. Maybe in the future PP can be extended more to have more player involvement in shaping it/transition aspects.

Last edited:
It depends heavily on what you expect from the game to give back.

If you are looking for a community to work towards a goal with, then it will surely provide you with one. But that requires a willingness to immerse in the RP side of this galaxy.

If you want a new alternative to the credits grind, then nothing to see here. It will probably just be worse for you actually as you can see so many people complain about "the grind to maintain rank 5", even though it can make your creds/hour skyrocket if you join some of the powers with the broken bonuses. I think it has also spoiled players in that regard a little. It's 50M /week, what do people expect... That's a full build FDL/FAS in 2 weeks without taking in account the other bonuses.

But I digress, as I said, it depends entirely on your approach to it and the game in general. There are some people who spend that 50M(or even more) to actually help their power for example.

Last edited:
Diving into the lore of the galaxy sounds great to me, as does having an incentive&opportunity to socialize. I think i'm just wondering how much cool gameplay emerges out of it and how demanding it is (time). I hear a lot of "grind" i required. I was flying the same rare route for weeks, having fun, i play Elite for the enjoyment of flying a spaceship. So repetitiveness is ok. But i think the whole immersion into the lore also depends how relevant it feels to do something.

Diving into the lore of the galaxy sounds great to me, as does having an incentive&opportunity to socialize. I think i'm just wondering how much cool gameplay emerges out of it and how demanding it is (time). I hear a lot of "grind" i required. I was flying the same rare route for weeks, having fun, i play Elite for the enjoyment of flying a spaceship. So repetitiveness is ok. But i think the whole immersion into the lore also depends how relevant it feels to do something.

The grinding is there mostly for those who condition themselves that they just have to min/max their earnings through their contribution.

Let's say you joined Mahon, Winters, Antal or Delaine. Giving those as an example because we are among the most tight bunch due to low numbers. Everyone would be grateful to your contribution whether it were at Rating 4 (1500 merits, 5M/week, quite easy to pull off) or Rating 5 (10.000 merits, 50M/week, this is what people call a grind).

If you allow the ratings to pull you in that you just have to earn the highest one, it might turn to a grind mentality, but it's not about that. It's about contributing to the extent that you personally can to your power while also doing anything else you might enjoy. Because even smaller contributions count.

[h=2]
icon1.png
So how is powerplay?[/h]
What's Power Play?

PP is now out for quite some time and has received a lot of criticism. I'm wondering:

Did it improve? Do you like it? For what reason would you recommend committing to support a power (or not)?

It is like every other aspect of this fine game: a tool to enhance your immersion and enjoyment.

You can use it to augment your playstyle by lazily maintaining Rank 2 in a Power and reaping a synergistic benefit (Bounty Hunting with ZH or ALD; Trade Profits with EM or ZT; Influence Boots with ArissaD, PA, or FW; Fine/bounty reduction with ArchonD; Weapons savings with DP; etc);

You can grab Rank 4 for a good 5 Million/week stipend and access to Faction specific Gear for moderate effort;

or You can go off the deep end with a lot of use here and Grind to/Maintain Rank 5 for the spiffy 50 million/week paycheck, and huge Political Power. Any way You slice it it's fun, as long as You don't overextend yourself by putting more energy into it than is good for Your play style. :)

Last edited:
power are a boring grind, in every power you pick. no fun missions, or something like that. just grind merits. sounds fun don't it.

I don't play Power Play for anything more than the money, the team play (Archon has a small but dedicated team), and the much higher chance of PvP. I really like it.

If you get in with a small and organised team, it makes it all the better. It's really good, although I'd be bored playing for one of the bigger powers.

Last edited:
The merrit balance is kinda unbalanced. Mean 1500 merrits to 10.000 merrits is like saying "Big guys get it all, while the beginners get a tiny big" I get that giving 50M to beginners is just going to rush them and bore them through the game that way but perhaps a more rank building with more ranks and "gifts" would be nice. And dropping 10.000 merrits big lower for the 50M & 100% bonus. That would be appreciated. But that is just my opinion. outside of piggy bank Power Play is not much interesting. I'm not fond of diplomatics anyway. No diversity. Unfortunately.

yes listen to Cliffson, join Archon, and i don't just mean that because i support that team, but a small team like Archon has a good community in it. if you're stuck for what to do or don't quite understand what you should be doing that week then the Kumo pages here or on Reddit will give you all you need to know. plus there will always be plenty of experienced team mates to help. much better going with a small team.

yes listen to Cliffson, join Archon, and i don't just mean that because i support that team, but a small team like Archon has a good community in it. if you're stuck for what to do or don't quite understand what you should be doing that week then the Kumo pages here or on Reddit will give you all you need to know. plus there will always be plenty of experienced team mates to help. much better going with a small team.

The Winters woman seems interesting, too... Not much going on with here here it seems...

Last edited:
Top Bottom